Priceline Hotel: San Diego 7/16 to 7/24

jparker
By jparker,
in

I am looking for a hotel for San Diego from 7/16 to 7/24. It will be mu wife and I and 2 kids (7 and 5). We are interested in a 4 star hotel on the beach. Don't know how possible that is or if it necessary. We plan on doing all the regular tourist stuff so I am not sure what location is best. Any advice that could be given would be great. As a backup we have the Embassy Suites in LaJolla for $150 per night. Thanks for the help.

What about the "on the beach" aspect... is that a requirement (i'm not clear if you're committed to that or not).

Also, Priceline will only guarantee double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel. Usually it works out ok, but there are certain areas (such as NYC) where it's not advisable; many users often accept this 'risk', but it's something that you should at least be aware of and make the decision for yourself. If you're not comfortable with this than there is always HOTWIRE which does allow up to quad occupancy as well as other possibilities.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Last question(s) to make sure we give you a strategy to meet your criteria:

-is price or location more important? For example, if the Coronado zone is more expensive than the Coastal zone, did you want to bid up to your limit first in Coronado before moving on to the Coastal area OR did you just want the least expensive price of the 3 zones you mentioned above?

-what is your maximum bid? Are you just trying to do better than your back-up at the EMBASSY SUITES or how much would you need to save over that $150 rate to make an opaque purchase worthwhile? (especially given that the ES rate is for four people and your priceline purchase only guarantees double occupancy)

I'll also add that there is a 4* on HOTWIRE for which you can get quad occupancy for $111/nite. It is a match for the Hyatt Regency La Jolla (of course it could be something else that we don't yet know about) but if correct, the reviews seem pretty good. Just another option to consider.

Let us know the answers to the above and we'll supply a priceline strategy if that is the route you'd like to go.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The most important aspect is probably price. However it is relative. I would spend $20 more per night to get in the Coronado area. My max bid would be $130 for Coronado and $110 for Coastal or Downtown. The nice thing i have with the Embassy Suites is that it is a suite and you get a great breakfast so I have to have some level of savings.

I appreciate the Hotwire hotel. That maybe the easier solution.

Any input or strategies you could give would be great.

When bidding 4* in the San Diego area you have 7 re-bid zones available, if you're not sure of your re-bid zones please ask for help and/or confirm your re-bid zones before proceeding:

Select 4* Corronado...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone1....

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone2....

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone3....

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone4....

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone5....

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone6....

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Coastal

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Downtown

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone....

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Corronado and re-bid zone7...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone6...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Coastal and Downtown...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110.

The above is how i would proceed based upon your preferences. Any questions feel free to ask. You may or may not want to go up to $110 in the Coastal/Downtown area since you can basically get the same thru the HOTWIRE offer listed above (as well as have no concerns about quad occupancy and have an idea of the hotel you will receive). Please use this HOTWIRE link if you ultimately go that route.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

You may have a tough time getting 8 nights in a row in San Diego during the Summer. You'll also be checking in on a Saturday, which, at least in the Downtown zone, is probably not going to work. It may be necessary to split your bid, leaving out Downtown for the Saturday.

I'm seeing a 4* on HOTWIRE in the Coastal zone for all 8 nights at $118, which looks to me like either the Hyatt La Jolla or Hyatt Islandia. Hopefully, and quite possibly, Priceline will have this availability as well, and for substantially less. I think Coastal will be your best bet for all 8 nights in one place.

As long as you'll have a car, I wouldn't be disappointed if Coronado doesn't work out. The Coastal and Downtown zones would be fine, as there are so many superb beaches within an easy drive. My favorite is Black's - although you may not want to take the kids there :).

For Hotwire, I would like a 4 star and a pool is the only must have amenity. Looking for 7/16 to 7/24 on the dates. Could take a day off either end as we are going to Disney at the beginning or end of the trip. Want to be either Coronado, Coastal, or Downtown. Thanks for the help

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]