Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Key West Fairfield Inn

Romelle
By Romelle,
in

I'm working on a Florida trip. In case somebody else is bidding it on my dates, thought I'd post my failed Key West bids. I know I'm too low, but am working my way up.

2/25-3/1 (4 nights), plus 2/26-3/1 & 2/27-3/1 (Hotwire shows the first 2 of the 4 nights more expensive than the last 2)

3* $88 plus a $6.67 bonus (Entertainment $20 coupon for 3+ nights 3* or better)

2 1/2* $74

2* $63

I can back up to Key Largo, or clear back to the greater Miami area, but wanted to try for Key West first. Hotels are a little less expensive there, at least the ones not directly on the beaches.

One free rebid (Islamorada) at the 3* and 2 1/2* levels.

Romelle

I gave up on PRICELINE for March in Key West, went with the Carribean Guesthouse instead. It's around $129 and right in the heat of downtown, with good reviews. A lot of 1* - 2.5* inns in Key West are really far from downtown and parking is supposedly a nightmare. I'm a big priceline fan but I think in KW PRICELINE is at it's best either off-season or to shave a few % off a $300 4*. Just my opinion though.

In Key Largo I won on priceline the 3* Holiday Inn for around $130ish (search this forum) for the same period.

I decided to stay 2 of the 4 nights in the Fort Lauderdale area - 2/25 and 2/26. The weekend days seemed to be more expensive than the weekdays 2/27 and 2/28.

For the two weekdays, I'm up to 3* $97, 2 1/2* $97, and 2* $86.

My max will probably be when I hit that $129 Caribbean bunneh noted in a prior post, and there is a Day's Inn for $128.

I've been to Key West before. An amazing place. In small doses. This is not my choice of dates. I normally know better than to go somewhere in high high season. It is a chunk of time my son could clear from work.

I will also post and thank you for your information. Good luck to you also.

Romelle

Finally successful.

2 1/2* Fairfield Inn And Suites By Marriott Key West

2400 N Roosevelt Blvd

Key West, FL 33040

305-296-5700

One night - Feb 28, 2011

Room Subtotal: $126.00 (USD)

Taxes and Fees: $24.90 (USD)

Total Room Cost: $150.90 (USD)

I bid gradually up to the $126. I was bidding 2 nights for quite a while, but decided to experiment with just one night and hit at $126. (A bid for two nights at $126 failed). My prior bid was $124 for the one night. I was offered an extension to the second night, but when I pursued it I learned the second night would be $165 plus taxes and fees. Pass.

For my second night (2/28) I directly booked the $129 Caribbean Guest House bunneh told me about in an earlier post. (Thank you, bunneh!)

If others are struggling with a similar situation, I learned there is a Best Western back in Florida City that goes for slightly under $100 (and a link to BW from this site under the Support/Travel Links tab). I bid a while in the Key Largo area, getting up to 3* $116, 2 1/2* $106 and 2* $101 before I gave up there.

I'll post a review of the Fairfield when we get back. It appears out a little, right on #1 by the water, but on a city bus line and maybe even a pick-up point for the little tourist trains.

Romelle

Congratulations on your (partial) success!

Sorry to see you were able to pick up the same hotel for the second nite, it sounds as if you were prepared for this and already had a game plan worked out.

Glad you're pleased with the results overall and can make this work for your needs

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Have a great trip!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...

Just back, and thought I'd comment on the Caribbean Guest House here since I did stay at it and it is mentioned in this thread, but didn't do it through Priceline bidding so the comments don't belong in the Hotel Reviews area.

On the positive side, the hotel is very clean. An attractive white with pink color scheme outside, including matching Bougainvillea. Marie and the other person working there (missed getting his name) are very cordial and helpful. Free coffee and tea makings available in the morning.

Parking was an issue. The hotel offered to reserve one of their 4 spots for me for $10. They have 10 units. I didn't take them up on it right away, and when we got there all 4 parking spots were already reserved. We were unsure about the legality of overnight street parking, although we had been able to hunt down a spot several blocks away. The owner pointed out a spot in a nearby empty lot. We used it, but were concerned about the car. Nothing did happen, but it was a worry. I should have taken the offer immediately.

The hotel is only 2 blocks from Key West's major street so is handy, but is also right on the edge of a very iffy neighborhood.

One of the beds is right against a tall window. Single pane glass with blinds in the upper portion, then a window air conditioner and plastic panels to fill in the rest of the lower space. The air-conditioning unit is noisy, kicking on and off regularly. Also, other guest pass right by outside the window regularly and sometimes stop to converse there. Neither the glass nor the plastic panels block their conversations.

The two twin beds were on wheels, so if one tried to read while leaning against the wall the bed scooted away from the wall.

A basic functional solution for a very expensive time of year.

Romelle

Just back, and thought I'd comment on the Caribbean Guest House here since I did stay at it and it is mentioned in this thread, but didn't do it through Priceline bidding so the comments don't belong in the Hotel Reviews area.

On the positive side, the hotel is very clean. An attractive white with pink color scheme outside, including matching Bougainvillea. Marie and the other person working there (missed getting his name) are very cordial and helpful. Free coffee and tea makings available in the morning.

Parking was an issue. The hotel offered to reserve one of their 4 spots for me for $10. They have 10 units. I didn't take them up on it right away, and when we got there all 4 parking spots were already reserved. We were unsure about the legality of overnight street parking, although we had been able to hunt down a spot several blocks away. The owner pointed out a spot in a nearby empty lot. We used it, but were concerned about the car. Nothing did happen, but it was a worry. I should have taken the offer immediately.

The hotel is only 2 blocks from Key West's major street so is handy, but is also right on the edge of a very iffy neighborhood.

One of the beds is right against a tall window. Single pane glass with blinds in the upper portion, then a window air conditioner and plastic panels to fill in the rest of the lower space. The air-conditioning unit is noisy, kicking on and off regularly. Also, other guest pass right by outside the window regularly and sometimes stop to converse there. Neither the glass nor the plastic panels block their conversations.

The two twin beds were on wheels, so if one tried to read while leaning against the wall the bed scooted away from the wall.

A basic functional solution for a very expensive time of year.

Romelle

Romelle,

we're going to be there in a few weeks so thank you very much about this fantastic info! It seems we should try for a room on the upper floor if that's available, and request a parking spot? Otherwise your description is in line with what we're expecting.

Best regards

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]