Priceline Hotel: Tips for Duluth 6/17-6/19

piercene
By piercene,
in

Thank you!

I haven't really thought much about a budget for the weekend yet. I am registered to run the marathon, so I will need to have a room in or near Duluth. I have stayed at the Holiday Inn before, it was decent, but definitely not worthy of 3* and I hear the Radisson is rated 3*, but is not as nice as the Holiday Inn. There seems to be some pretty decent 2.5* hotels in the area, but I think it is going to be hard to pinpoint specific hotels, due to the size of the location we,re dealing with. I guess the cheaper the better, but would prefer to stay at a 2.5* or better hotel.

I would not be opposed to staying in Two harbors, either...

Unfortunately, this looks to be a very problematic weekend in the city and an unfortunate example of high prices if an event is going on - HOTWIRE has a 3* in Duluth for the sky-high rate of $292 for these days, and the other listings are regular rate listings from Hotels.com, including one regular rate (grey) listing for $189 for a 2* (when you click on it, it's the Econo Lodge).

Looking at Expedia, most properties are either very expensive (the Holiday Inn Express Superior at $255) or sold out. Looking further out, HOTWIRE has a 1* in Cloquet for $138, but Expedia has the Americinn Cloquet for $112 (do check the cancel policy). Ashland, WI, which starts to get far, has a 2.5* for $82 on HOTWIRE.

You can wait to see if inventory opens up over time, but given the history of this area, inventory main remain tight (and in terms of discounted inventory, that may remain limited at best if hotels expect walk-ins for the marathon.)

Let us know your thoughts.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or Expedia or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 2 weeks later...

There are two campgrounds within city limits as well, both are city owned, but I'm not sure if they take reservations or not. And last but not least, you can sleep in the parking lot of the Duluth entertainment center. This is near the finish line. I have seen people sleeping in their SUV's there before.

Good Luck! I'm running the half this year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We ended up booking a room at a motel called the Viking in Two Harbors... It doesn't sound very nice at all, but it is cheap and close to the starting line. For anyone else that is looking most of the hotels and camp grounds are either full or grossly over-priced so check it out if you still need a place. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]