Priceline Hotel: 4 Star Clearwater Beach

HowardJake
By HowardJake,
in

Hi. 1st time user. I am planning a trip to Clearwater Beach in April 2011. I would like to stay at a 4 star resort. Priceline lists 3 hotels in the Clearwater beach/St. Pete's area that are 4 star.

The Hyatt, Don Ceasar, and Tradewinds.

On the Priceline website they have a note that reads "Clearwater Beach is located within the St. Petersburg/Clearwater region".

Does this mean if I checked off choice 3 (Clearwater Beach) I may end up in St. Petersburg area?

The Hyatt is listed at around $350.00 per night. Don Ceasars listing is $307.00 Tradewinds is $229.

Would really like to stay in Clearwater beach.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

PRICELINE uses "regions" to define large areas and "zones" to define sub-areas within the region.

It might be easier to explain using a different area, such as New York City... NYC is the region which is broken up into smaller zones (midtown east, midtown west, times square, central park south, etc, etc)

So (the zone) Clearwater Beach is located within (the larger) St. Petersburg/Clearwater. Regardless of the name of the zone, look at the map to the right of the zone names, your hotel can be anywhere wtihin the shaded boundaries of the Clearwater Beach zone. Would a hotel anywhere within this area be acceptable to you?

Also, note that the 'retail' version of PRICELINE (where the hotel names are shown) and the 'name your own price' section of PRICELINE use a different universe of hotels (and different zone names/descriptions/boundaries)... so you when bidding you may get a hotel which doesn't appear in the retail section of their site.

Let us know any questions you have and/or how you'd like to proceed.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the info. I see the shaded area. I would be happy to stay anywhere in the shaded area. Based on what I see the Hyatt seems to be the only 4 star hotel in the shaded area. The other 2 4 star hotels are further south out of the shaded area. Although the disclaimer says St. Petersburg is included in the Clearwater beach area which is a little confusing.

Any suugestions as to where to start my bid as I have never used PRICELINE before.

Thanks

You've got lots of time. There is zero danger in starting too low (failed bids are of course free), other than taking a little of your time.

Some ways of figuring out your starting bid:

About 40% of the lowest rate of the hotels you looked at (assuming those numbers were for your dates).

Plugging your dates into Hotwire and then starting maybe 15% lower than that.

Entering "clearwater" up in the Quick Search box above, browsing the wins back a ways and then starting with the lower results you see. Sometimes checking for same time frame in prior year if the isn't any current information.

Using the Calendar of Wins (above) for your dates and checking for similar results.

Actually, I tend to do all these, and then start with the lowest number I find from any of the methods. I purely hate a bid that works the first time. That almost certainly indicates I've overpaid. Then I gradually work up. The increments depend upon how much remaining time I have, how much time I'm willing to spend on bidding, and how patient I am.

I'm just a member, but thought I'd help you get started.

Romelle

Is $125.00 a resaonable start? The 4 star hotels are around $325.00 a night.
This would make your bid about 40% of prevailing rates which is not a high probability of success, but you have time on your side so you can certainly try this if you want to get a 'feel' for how PRICELINEn works.

However, is $125 your starting bid OR your maximumbid? If you let us know your maximum bid we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... please click this PRICELINE link before replying.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

$125.00 is the starting point. As you mention I can get a feel for the way priceline works. Considering we go away only once a year, we have no hesistation in spending around $200.00 a night. (all in parking,fees etc) plus taxes.

Since the 4* hotels are in the $300.00 a night range plus. $200.00 would be a good price.

At the 4* level you have EIGHT re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding. (NOTE: Palm Harbor is not a re-bid zone)

Select 4* Clearwater Beach...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

The strategy thereuare laid out in his last post is meant for doing all in one session - no waiting between bids. No better option.

Do make sure you understand what is meant by "rebid zone" though. If you are at all unsure, post the list you think are rebid zone and someone here will double-check it for you.

Romelle

In my case the hotel I am looking for is a 4 star in Clearwater Beach. Zone 3 on priceline. Am I to understand that I check zone 3 and then check off other zones that do NOT have 4 star resorts listed? Then if the bid is rejected I submit another zone with no 4 star hotels and keep doing this while increasing my bid by increments of $5.00 while keeping zone 3 checked off? Just keep going down the list of areas that don't have 4 star hotels until an offer is accepted.

Thanks

May I offer my opinion? Clearwater Beach has the Hyatt as the only 4* hotel and you are going in the prime vacation season. There are two 3 1/2 * hotels reported, the Hilton and Marriott Suites. Have you researched if those would be acceptable, it's really only a 1/2 * difference and would improve your odds of getting a winning bid.

You could try a low bid just for the heck of it and work your way up.

On Expedia, the Hilton Clearwater beach is $190 avg for your dates.

You should also consider booking a room now that is totally refundable.

Good luck.

I'd consider 3.5* properties... and if you do choose to wait, i'd suggest booking a refundable back-up which would protect yourself from rates rising (while you wait and hope they go down)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (or our Expedia link if you decide to go with the offer above... at Expedia FROST11 may work for 10% off)

• 3 weeks later...

OP - have you had any sucess winning the Hyatt yet? I am trying to win this one as well for very similar dates. I just tried $175 and was denied. The best I have been able to find so far, is directly on Hyatt's website with the offer code "LOEVR". It took it from $305 to $244. I would still like to pay closer to $200 though.

I was going to try a rebid, but I got a bit nervous. I really want it to be the Hyatt and I don't see any other 4 star hotels in the area. I guess I should just try it.

OP - have you had any sucess winning the Hyatt yet? I am trying to win this one as well for very similar dates. I just tried $175 and was denied. The best I have been able to find so far, is directly on Hyatt's website with the offer code "LOEVR". It took it from $305 to $244. I would still like to pay closer to $200 though.

I was going to try a rebid, but I got a bit nervous. I really want it to be the Hyatt and I don't see any other 4 star hotels in the area. I guess I should just try it.

Since my last post I have booked another hotel with a liberal cancellation policy. Still hoping to get the Hyatt. I bid up to $180.00 without success in January.

sandc 102806 advised with the code the price was $244.00. That is not a bad rate considering the mid $300.00 range of the hotel.

Have a look at the Sheraton Sand Key Resort. a 4* resort. Lots of specials and discounted rates there. I'm not sure if that hotel is on priceline's list.

I will try PRICELINE again for the Hyatt as my dates get closer.

Keep me posted on your efforts

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]