NY NYC New York Hilton And Towers

betsybug
By betsybug,
in

I just got back from a $93/night stay at the New York Hilton a/k/a Hilton Towers. I called the hotel directly with my bed request and added my HiltonHonors number then.

At check-in I was not given one of the dreadful, small rooms near the elevators that so many people said the staff called "the Priceline rooms". I showed my HiltonHonors card at check-in. I asked politely for the clerk to "do the best you can for us on the room". We got a renovated, large room on the 30th floor. By putting the HH# in the reservation I got a newspaper delivered.

• 2 months later...

Between 22 Aug and 24 Aug - see details.

- Typical Hilton hotel, nothing spectular.

- Good location.

- A small-ish room, but not next to elevators or ice machine, so it's fairly quiet.

- Stayed on the 20th floor.

- The hotel was quite full, especially on 23 Aug when a Harley 9-11 ride from other states stayed that night. It was cool, as many cops were part of the ride, they all stayed at the hotel. Never felt that safe in a hotel! :)

- Not a member of HHonors, but still OK. Nothing to complain about, but nothing outstanding either.

Will I stay there again? Probably, the price was good, the location was excellent.

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard alot of bad reviews about this hotel but our stay was quite pleasant. We won a bid of $95 on August 1-4th. The hotel clerk was quite nice but said No, we couldn't use our Hilton Honors card even for incidentals (which I've heard brought up for discussion here).

You need to pay attention to what elevator you're going into. The numbers are listed for what floors each elevator goes to.

Our rooms were decent. We don't have too high of expectations and we're just happy to collapse into our beds each night exhausted from our sightseeing.

ONE PROBLEM... not even solved yet since it just came up 3 days ago! We've been home from NYC for 6 weeks and just 3 days ago the Hilton charged $104 to my credit card! We didn't make any phone calls or even open the bar. I've left messages and have not gotten any response yet. I think I read this happening to someone else as well. MAKE SURE you check your statements even several weeks after you've checked out!

Hi ItsMeUC - Sorry to hear about your incorrect charge - I myself am in the midle of trying to get the Westin Detroit to reverse an incorrect minibar charge (I'm still waiting three weeks after they promised to credit the $14 bogus charge - I've escalated it to Corporate).

If you still don't have a response, why not try sending an email to the following address:

[email protected]

This is a mailbox set up to address problems etc. with Hilton stays for users of Flyertalk (a board similar to this one which focuses on airline and hotel frequent flyer and frequent stay programs), I suggest a message expressing concern over the lack of contact, focusing on your desire to "eliminatethe possibility of credit card fraud" or some such language.

There's no membership requirement on FTalk (and no need to mention PL as it is not germaine to your billing isssue, in my opinion).

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

• 10 months later...

Hello again,

Just returned from my very satisfactory 2-night stay at the Hilton New York. Upon check-in, the friendly clerk acknowledeged the Priceline reservation and moved me into a room with two double beds since there were 3 in our party. We were able to check-in very early, around 1:00 pm. I found the service very friendly and the concierge was extremely knowledgeable and researched train times for me and drew up directions. The location is ideal if you do not want to be in the middle of Times Square. It is slightly to the north of Times Square closer to Rockefeller Center and Fifth Avenue. (It is a short cab ride to shopping and shows). The decor of the hotel was more traditional as opposed to the Westin at Times Square, which has a more modern feel. Personally, I prefer the Westin but the Hilton was fine. The room was comfortable with a city view but the bathroom was much smaller than the Westin's (probably because the Hilton is much older). Everyone from housekeeping to bellhop were amiable and smiling. Upon check-out, there was a mistaken charge on the bill, but they quickly resolved the issue. A staff member handled the key drop terminal for us and also directed us to the luggage check, where we were able to stow our luggage until departure later in the afternoon. Overall, an excellent stay in the Hilton New York. For me, the only downside was the conservative and 'traditional' hotel decor.

Dean

• 11 months later...

Just returned from a 3night stay at the Hilton New York which we thought was Great!

The location is so central - easy to walk to many places as well as handy for the subway and buses.

We arrived mid-afternoon and went to the Hilton Honours Check In (We have the HH card but lowest level). The clerk acknowledged our reservation was pre paid but happily met our request for a non smoking room with an in-room safe.

Our room was on a HH. Floor (25th I think) and was totally refurbished and well decorated.There was a coffee maker, mini bar, comfortable chairs and a view straight down to the Water! The bathroom was quite small but elegant. We were surprised at how very nice it was and we were very pleased. We had no problem with waiting for elevators which I understand has been a problem for some people in the past.

We had Coffee in the Market Place restaurant which looked fine for casual meals. There is also an upscale Italian restaurant on the premises. It was easy to walk across the street to pick up something for breakfast. and bring it to the room.

On our last day, we left our luggage in their storage at a rate of $3.50 a bag. A bit high I thought, but it was very organised and many people were taking advantage of this service.

We found all of the staff to be helpful and friendly and would love to stay there agin

• 2 months later...

We stayed at this hotel from 1/1/03-1/5/03. We won it on PL on our first bid (I think it was our first PL experience) for $100.

The lobby downstairs is very large. Check in was okay. We asked for a King room and were given it.

The room (especially for NYC) was plenty large. The K bed and a small table with two side chairs.

I wouldn't mind winning this again on PL, but I think I would probably choose another hotel in the "class" if I was just comparing them side by side.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]