Alternate way to rebid on same day....

cahiatt
By cahiatt,
in

Since I live in Atlanta and work in Miami three days a week I have figured out pretty well which rooms I can get in what area for what price. But there are occasions that this isn't always the case and need to rebook. I also don't want to run the risk of adding a zone that I don't want to be in or class that I don't want to be in so I tried a new technique....

On the rebook options I'll just drop off a day from the lenght of stay the adjust the price as needed. If I get the room this time I'll go back and use the "add a day" feature. This lets me rebook the same zone and class by only adding two or three dollars each time.

Works like a charm every time.

This can work but there are also a few flaws...

1) what if PRICELINE is unable to extend the stay for the same rate... then you risk either having to book direct (at a much higher rate) or change hotels midstay (which is not acceptable to everyone)

2) take a 2 day stay where the opaque rate is $50 the first nite and $150 the second nite (and that you need a $100 bid to be successful for both nites together).... you bid $70 and it's rejected (since it's below $100) so you drop the second nite and bid $75... you've now just succeeded at $75 but have overbid by $25 (since $50 would have been accepted for the solo first nite) and odds greatly favor that you won't be able to add the second nite... a double whammy

The method above works fine until you end up in a situation like scenario #2, and if you know how to properly check your re-bid zones, i prefer to use 'add a zone' re-bidding techniques to bid again rather than the 'change the date' method.

Of course, this is another example of why not waiting until the last minute is worthwhile... gives you time to make multiple bids if at first you don't succeed.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't try this technique for someone that bids once or twice a year. I'm in a Priceline room about three to four days a week and usually in the same hotel. After a few years of staying in the same areas I got a feel for the room rates for certain areas at certain times of the year. While 85% of the time I end up where I want, it isn't perfect. This method allows me to rebid the same area when I absolutely don't want to add certain zones. Most of the time I bid a few weeks in advance as my plane tickets are puchased four to six weeks out so this isn't even necessary. But every now and then I have to head out the same day and this usually helps me if I fail on the first bid.

I wouldn't try this technique for someone that bids once or twice a year. I'm in a Priceline room about three to four days a week and usually in the same hotel. After a few years of staying in the same areas I got a feel for the room rates for certain areas at certain times of the year. While 85% of the time I end up where I want, it isn't perfect. This method allows me to rebid the same area when I absolutely don't want to add certain zones. Most of the time I bid a few weeks in advance as my plane tickets are puchased four to six weeks out so this isn't even necessary. But every now and then I have to head out the same day and this usually helps me if I fail on the first bid.

Cahiatt...I found your postings very helpful. Btw I live in Atlanta too...so...have a great weekend in our warmish (at last!) Hotlanta winter! :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]