Priceline Hotel: 3* Seattle (Lynnwood-Edmonds) Courtyard North Lynnwood

pookie505
By pookie505,
in

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time using priceline (and of course using the betterbidding PRICELINE link). We are heading to Seattle next weekend for two nights 01/06/11 - 01/08/11. I am hoping for the Embassy Suites or Courtyard Marriott in Lynnwood.

So far I have bid:

$30 for 3* Lynnwood-Edmonds zone (rejected)

$34 for 3* Lynnwood-Edmonds + Lake Union zones (rejected)

$35 for 3* Lynnwood-Edmonds + Lake Union + North Everett (rejected)

I haven't been given a counter-offer. Should I wait the 24hrs and try again? Any tips would be appreciated :)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

With hotel direct rates for a 3* hotel in this area starting at ~$115/nite, your current bid of $35 is less than 1/3 of the prevailing rates which does not give you a high probability of success... what is your maximum bid for this stay?

Are you familiar with re-bidding as you do have ONE re-bid zones available when bidding 3* in this area which you don't appear to be using (see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zone with the board before using). What are all acceptable zones (by PRICELINE name) for this stay?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks everyone for your help.

I was bidding based on what others had got the hotel for (I think it was $34/37 that I saw on older posts). I was hoping to spend no more than $50 as our one night trip is now going to be 2.

I think I was doing the re-bidding correctly, but I will read the link again. I would be happy with Lynnwood-Edmonds, Lake Union, North Everett (with my preference in that order).

If nothing works out I may try Sea-Tac although we are interested in north of the downtown area and probably won't be spending anytime downtown.

Also is there a way to see the time I placed my last bid to ensure it has been the full 24hrs?

Cheers!

pookie505,

It appears that you're still not using your re-bid zone.

Start with the following...

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter New Orleans Seattle and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest tar rating offered n the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

EDIT: fixed city to search

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You probably are getting close to a winning bid with that $40. I just checked HOTWIRE and they had a Bothel 3* at $48 and an airport 3* at $59. Typically one can do a little better on PRICELINE than HOTWIRE. On the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins (above on this page) there was one Priceline 3* bid at the airport for $40 for one of your days. All positive signs.

It is safe to assume thereuare meant to say "Seattle" rather than "New Orleans" in his last message on how to determine free-rebid areas.

What you are trying to do is find any areas for Seattle bidding that DON'T have your selected star level or higher. Mukilteo has 3*s bidding available, so won't work for you.

There really is one on the list that doesn't have 3* availability so you can use it to squeeze one more bid out within your 24 hour window. But do post it back here to double-check.

Meanwhile though, you could bid your initial series of bids (all the areas you are sure you want) at a little higher than the $40 you know doesn't work. Then when you've verified the free rebid area you could add that for one more bid today.

Romelle

PS - Free rebidding is a powerful technique, but a little dangerous unless one totally understands it. Also, things change regularly so it is important to check the validity of the free rebid areas each time just before you bid. That is why everybody is so careful to make sure the bidder actually understands the process and can use it correctly.

Thanks everyone, it's not letting me re-bid...even though it has been almost 48hrs since my original bid (my others were different bids (zones). I even made a new account with a different credit card and address (don't worry this person is coming with me!).

I'm just a member, but my understanding is that you have to wait a full 24 hours from your very last bid, not your original one. And if you try something, the clock starts running all over again for the 24 hour shut-out.

I know you are running out of time here for your stay on the 6th.

You need a back-up plan - cancelable reservations. Then you need to wait a full 24 hours (and a couple minutes just to be sure) from your very last bid. You should then be able to put in a series of bids, first with the areas you find acceptable, and then adding the single free-rebid zone, incrementing higher with each one.

Have you figured out what the free rebid area is yet?

It is possible Priceline got mixed up on what was or was not a duplicate bid. But my experience has usually been "operator error" in that somehow I slipped and really had made a duplicate bid. In any case, at this point you still have to let a fresh full 24 hours pass to sort of clear PL's brains.

Another thing I don't think you've tried yet is bidding just one night at a time. If you've always been bidding both nights, Priceline will treat a single night bid as something different and let you do that right away. And if you are successful, then sometimes you are offered the right to "extend" the bid and add another night. The only issue with this is that Priceline adds its base fee onto the extension so you pay that twice.

You could bid 2 1/2*s. That is considered a change by Priceline, and could be done right now. You can look at the list of hotels in the first post in this area to see what you might get. Things like Days Inn, Holiday Inn Express. 2*s are like Extended Stay America. Nothing posh, but very workable places.

Romelle

Thanks everyone, it's not letting me re-bid...even though it has been almost 48hrs since my original bid (my others were different bids (zones).

Exactly which zone(s) are you trying on your current bids which are being rejected as duplicates?

Have you figured out your re-bid zones yet?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks for the guidance :) I found that my free re-bid was Kirkland (offering no 3* hotels) then I added Lynnwood-Edmonds and selected 3*.

I bid $43 - rejected. Then tried Saturday only $43 - rejected. Followed by Friday only $45 - rejected.

I guess I will have to wait the 24hrs now.

pookie505,

Nice work on figuring out that free rebid.

I copied your very first bid (below) where you used a couple other areas.

Did you also bid the Lake Union and the North Everett this last time? If not, you could still add those to the other areas you already used this last time (one at a time), and move on up with your bidding right now. Two more bids.

Or if you've hit your max comfortable budget, there are still those 2 1/2*s, but I don't remember whether Kirkland is a free rebid at that level. You'd have to check that first. If it is not, you'd need sign out of Priceline and come back in again so Kirkland doesn't stay checked.

Romelle

$30 for 3* Lynnwood-Edmonds zone (rejected)

$34 for 3* Lynnwood-Edmonds + Lake Union zones (rejected)

$35 for 3* Lynnwood-Edmonds + Lake Union + North Everett (rejected)

pookie505,

While answering thereuare's questions above, I wanted to add a little that might also help.

In your very first post you said "next weekend" but also gave your dates as 1/6 (Thursday) - 1/8 (Saturday). Any chance you actually meant 1/7 (Friday) - 1/9 (Sunday)?

Assuming you meant the original dates, you are pretty much out of time now. Might be able to squeeze in a few "same day" bids after your 24-hours is up, but if you supply thereuare with the answers he needs, he can give you a bidding pattern that will cover a lot more ground.

Alternatively, you might still look at HOTWIRE. There are some possibilities there that could work for you. The areas are different, both in name and map, so you'll have to keep an eye on their maps.

Romelle

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received a nice deal and hopefully you're pleased with the discount for the effort it took... as Romelle points out, the more you bid the easier it tends to get.

Thank you for sharing your PRICELINE win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

... this helped me book the same hotel for similar rates.

Glad the information on the board was helpful with your purchase.

Can you please add your win to the board as a NEW TOPIC, including the winning bid amount and dates of your stay, so that others will be aware of, and benefit from, your purchase when searching the topic titles on the board and in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]