CA San Diego Handlery Hotel Mission Valley

mclan
By mclan,
in

The reviews for the 3* (for Priceline) Handlery Hotel in San Diego (Mission Valley) on TripAdvisor.com are very poor, so I was ready to be disappointed. However, I had no real complaints about this hotel. Especially considering we got rooms for $45/night on about a week's notice for April 8, a Friday night. We had two rooms, they were identical in all ways.

Pros: Clean rooms, only slightly showing age, decent furniture, restaurant, beautiful resort-type pool and jacuzzi. Comfortable bed--not as firm as I like, but absolutely acceptable. We both had king size, by the way. Hotel is built like a fortress--ugly but very safe. All interior doors, good security, etc.

Cons: Unprofessional and poorly trained staff (more like a motel than a hotel), ugly architecture and very plain rooms, tiny televisions (18" screens), buildings difficult to find your way into, long walks to the furthest buildings, parking $8 night (we had it waived due to having a handicapped placard)

I'd definitely recommend this hotel at Priceline prices. The lowest rate I could find was $109.00 night, so we paid more than 50% less. Not much to look at, but a great home base if you're not going to spend a lot of time in your hotel room.

• 1 month later...

Bid price $44 plus tax $12.75, $56.25 total

This was my first time staying at this hotel. I try to stay near Qualcom Stadium for weekend events there, but after getting this hotel I may have to re-think my bidding strategy.

Things started off bad. I was told at check-in that the only rooms available were smoking. I very politely protested and was told that Priceline rooms were run of the hotel and basically given whatever they had left. She assured me that no other rooms wre available.

Next was the parking surprise. $8 additional. I was told that when I enter the parking lot I will take a parking ticket. To leave the lot, I will have to walk the parking ticket back to the front desk for validation. This is not an easy task as this hotel sits on a large campus, so it's quite a walk from the parking area back to the lobby. Seems like there must be an easier way to handle this.

But there was bright side to this trek. Upon presenting my ticket for validation, the desk manager ask me if I was aware that I was in a smoking room. When I told her I would prefer non-smoking, she checked the computer and within seconds for a n/s room for me.

The room itself was smaller than comparable 3* rooms. The beds were double beds with very cheesy bedding and very cheap pillows, something I might expect at a Motel 6. The television was a small 20" model. I called the front desk to report that the bathroom sink was falling off the wall. Hanging some things in the closet was easy, closing the closet door was not. But I was tired and just wanted to take a warm shower an hit the sack. It was then I discovered that the tub didn't drain.

But it was quiet, and I did get a good night sleep. But I disliked this hotel so much, that I don't think I'll bid this area again until this hotel is gone.

Just returned from San Diego and spent one night(May 23) at the Handlery Hotel. This is not a 3-star hotel, but rather an outdated freeway exit "resort." Although it does have a pool, the inefficiency of the front desk, the outdated and worn decor, cheap and well-used bedding, and the musty smell places it below most budget hotels. Thirty years ago it may have had some drawing power, but now it has aged ungracefully. I have written and called a complaint to Priceline. Bidder beware!

• 1 year later...

Here's the my review after my stay:

This hotel's location is very convenient--close to all the sight-seeing points and shopping centers, and it's right next to the major freeway exit.

I don't like the poor cleaniness of this hotel, especially the dirty linens---stains on pillow cases, holes on blankets, and dark marks on towels. I think the pillow cases and the blankets should be thrown away. Although it meets the 2.5 star rating (e.g. iron+board, hair-dryer, coffee maker, etc), the dirty linens outweight everything else. Also the staff was not professional/helpful at all. On our check-in day, after 5 minutes we entered our room, our door was knocked, and before we answered, the door was opened by the housekeeper!!! Since then I chain-locked the door whenever I'm inside the room. On our check-out day, our door was knocked at 8am (!) and the housekeeper asked us when we'd check-out... The front desk staff was polite and friendly, yet not informative--told us things incorrectly. The check-in and check-out process were very smooth and efficient though. The free shuttle bus for going to the Sea World was another surprise---my seatbelt was not even working. I also don't like the idea of charging hotel guest $9/night parking fee. All in all, I think this hotel should be removed from priceline pool and I do NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

p.s. I used Savingbarns to get access to Priceline couple times for my bidding.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]