Priceline Hotel: Bidding strategy help - Maui 6/30-7/6

cestbonne
By cestbonne,
in

Hello! I need advice in bidding for a 4*/resort in Maui for the dates of 6/30/05 - 7/6/05. I have a few questions....

Is this considered "high season" because it falls over July 4th?

What is suggested as a starting bid? And am I starting to look too early?

I'm hoping to get the Hyatt, Sheraton or Westin, and would like to avoid the Diamond resort if possible (as I've read very mixed reviews), is there any advice in avoiding Diamond resort?

Any information would be very helpful! Thanks!

In the Maui (Ka'anapali - Lahaina) zone?

Another option would be to look at HOTWIRE where you may have a better chance at targetting a specific hotel, but it will likley cost you a bit more than priceline (although still less than traditional rates)

If you choose to move forward with Priceline let us know your maximum bid and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Not too early, and I don't think seasonality means much to prices at these places as far as priceline is concerned (it can affect availability, however). Have you looked at past successful bids and done a search yet with the packages feature? Also, run the dates through hotwire. That will give you a good early lowball number to play with. My recollection is we haven't seen anything less than $150 of late.

BTW, I just saw a new survey that came out which confirms our suspicions that Maui has the highest hotel prices in Hawaii. Aren't you lucky? :)

Thanks for all your help! You're right thereuare, the Diamond Resort is not in the same area. I will only bid in the Lahaina area.

I did try $150, but w/o luck (I started from $140 and then up). I will have to try again later (at a higher bid) since I do not have anymore free bids. I will update once (hopefully!) I am successful. Thanks again!

Rates for your dates are substantially higher than when when we typically see acceptances at the $150 range.

Do you have a solid back-up plan or thoughts about what you will do if unsucessful with Priceline? You may also want to pick a point where you'd consider SPLITTING YOUR BID.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I currently have the Renaissance Wailea reserved for that week using our AAA discount, which equals $283/night for a Garden View (but can be canceled). I'd rather be at the Hyatt, Sheraton or Westin (for less of course), so I'm going to keep trying. I did split the bid between the dates 6/30-7/2 and 7/2-7/6. I've bid up to $190 with still no luck! :)

Please note from our SUPPORT PAGE that this board is an affiliate of the MARRIOTT brand of hotels, which includes the Renaissance. Using such our preferred links helps keep this board a free resource for everyone.

HOTWIRE has a low rate for a 4* hotel for just the sole nite of 6/30 but after that everything is extremely high and unless things change will likely take more than $200.

Another (less expensive) back-up alternative:

Aston at Papakea Resort for $203/nite

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]