Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago May 12th - May 18th

ddks
By ddks,
in

Hi,

I have a slightly complicated question. I'm looking for a 4* hotel in Chicago for 3 adults (wife and adult child) from May 12th to May 18th in the North Michigan Avenue area.

One option is a direct reservation at the Holiday Inn Chicago City Center at an average nightly rate of $222. This hotel would work well because it has a great fitness center which appeals to my wife. It is an "executive" room so the 3 of us may fit OK +-.

The second option would presumably be Priceline for 2 rooms. I'm guessing from reading the posts that this would save money. It would also be more comfortable for me but I hate to send my Child, even though an adult, off to a room alone.

Any recommendations? What would one expect to pay for 2 rooms at a 4* during this period?

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Do you know of a special event happening at this time (convention, festival, etc) as rates are higher than usual and availability appears low.

If it saved you money would you be willing to SPLIT YOUR PURCHASE as it may be difficult to get one hotel for 6 consecutive nites.

I haven't looked too closely at this yet because i'll wait for answers to the above, but i would think you could do better than the HOLIDAY INN direct rate (or is that thru Travelocity"]Travelocity)... please note that we are affiliates of both :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Get two rooms. PL and HW will not guarantee two beds in your room. I have always gotten it in Chicago when I asked (but not in some other cities), but I never absolutely needed it.

If you use HW you can choose a hotel that lists a fitness center (though not on PL).

As an adult child with parents, I would rather they sent me off to my own room....:)

PL and HW will not guarantee two beds in your room

But HOTWIRE does allow you to search for quad occupancy, which guarantees sleeping accomodations for everyone in the group (although this could be a pull-out sofa or roll-a-way bed in rare instances)

I agree, as an 'adult kid' i'd rather be off in my own room :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the advice so far. I am not aware of any conventions or special events that would be driving up rates. We are just going for fun. Regarding splitting hotels, I'm thinking I won't be very popular with the family if I try that. I do think you are right that 2 rooms makes the most sense. That way, we can hang out together but split when its time to sleep.

So, I'm very interested in your counsel on Priceline for 2, 4* rooms at the same hotel for the duration.

PS - This will be my first time in Chicago. Is it best to rent a car or use Taxis and Mass Transit?

Thanks!

This will be my first time in Chicago. We are just going for fun. From what I've read, the preferred zones are NMA or the River North Area. Either of these zones would be great. Further if you would recommend adding a 3rd based on your experience, that would be fine too.

In terms of maximum amount, I am already prepared to spend $222 per night for one room. I would like to stay at that amount for the maximum for 2 rooms. However, I would go to $250 per night if that is what it took to get the 2 rooms.

At the 4* level you have three re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read RE-BIDDING EXPLAINED and confirm your re-bids with the board before proceeding.

This is how i would bid:

Select 4* NMA

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone1....

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $70, if rejected closer browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* NMA and re-bid zone3...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $85, if rejected closer browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* River North

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone1....

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $70, if rejected closer browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* River North and re-bid zone3...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $85, if rejected closer browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* NMA and River North

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $100, if rejected closer browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* NMA and River North and re-bid zone3...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $115.

Any questions (likely) feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Rejection!!! :)

The mechanics of the bid process went fine but the $115 bid was not high enough.

Is the Loop worth adding or is the area just not as good as the NMA and RNA? Here is a note from a website regarding The Loop - Grant Park: Chicago's central downtown zone is actually less desirable than the zones north of it, because many Chicagoans avoid this area at night and on the weekends. It's not unsafe

I would consider the Loop... but not just yet.

Is the other hotel option cancellable (direct at the HOLIDAY INN or thru Travelocity"]Travelocity)?

I would book something that is cancellable, continue the above but raise the bids by $10 (to get up to your $125 maximum) and try for the next two weeks... then consider adding the Loop zone (and we'll suggest a strategy at that time).

I like your thinking, but . . .

The Holiday Inn Executive room has limited availability. I probably just have another day or so (the breakfast rate was available last night but now is gone.)

To reserve this room on an "advance purchase" which is non-cancellable, the cost is $1,108. The same room with cancellation privledges is $1,385 - an extra $277.

So, if the confidence of a 4* at the NMA or RNA at $125 is quite high, it may be worth the $277 gamble. I think I would like to rule out the Loop unless it was a real last resort.

I'm concerned that there may be a convention or something that is sucking up the rooms and waiting won't pay off.

I'm ready for your best opinion knowing the Holiday Inn cost premium.

Thanks!

Your stay is during a convention, Digestive Disease Week (5/14-5/19), and that is the likely cause of inflated rates. :) When i first looked at the rates i suspected something was up! (besides rates)

Your $222 rate is inclusive of taxes i assume? (otherwise 6 nites doesn't equal the $1108 you mention above). If inclusive of fees i can't see anything to beat this at the present time, i'd still wish you could find something cancellable, but to pay an extra $200 for that right doesn't make sense.

I'll keep my eyes open in the next few hours as well if time permits.

If you do go with the Holdiay Inn please do use our HOLIDAY INN link so this site gets credit. :)

Whoohoo. We thought there would just be all the standard Chicago things to do. Now, we find out we will be there for Digestive Disease Week :)

I made a quick detour.

I have made a cancellable reservation at the Embassy Suites - Lakefront.

For the 3 of us, the cost is $299 per night + tax. Kind of spendy but, it includes breakfast and has 2 rooms for some night time privacy.

With the cancellation available, it does free us up if a bidding strategy turns up. We will be anxious to hear if any further ideas.

Thanks again.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]