Hotwire Hotel: Opinion - Best 4.5 NMA

onegraciegirl
By onegraciegirl,
in

Been monitoring the hotwire rates for 4.5 star hotels Magnificient Mile/Streeterville for 12/27--12/30. Through the amenity icons, it is easy enough to identify The James (has laundry facilities and spa). As far as I know the other 4.5 are the Intercontinental or The Conrad and their amenities are the same. Is there a difference between these three and which of the 4.5 would you chose? I realize there would be no way to know if it were the Intercontinental or Conrad, which is okay. I do need to park a car so parking rates are applicable.

I am traveling with three 19 year olds who will be off shopping during the day at both Michigan Avenue and State Street. We have theater tickets for Wicked at the Cadillac Theater and tickets for Second City. All three hotels are pretty close to the red line and are only a block or two away from each other.

I have been doing my searches based on four adults in the room. Currently it is the James (I believe) on Hotwire:

Spa

Restaurant

Laundry

Fitness Center

Business Center

High Speed

$112.00/night.

Other times today the 4.5* it has been the standard no-smoking, restaurant, business center, high speed, fitness - which I assume is either the Intercontinental or Conrad leaning toward Intercontinental.

What's your recommendation

Good evening. :)

Please provide a follow-up for your prior Cincinnati Hotwire thread (post what you decided for that stay within that thread), then reply to this thread and I will be happy to offer suggestions for Chicago for the above dates (and I'll also offer other suggestions for these dates beyond the above, as well.)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Good evening. :)

Please provide a follow-up for your prior Cincinnati Hotwire thread (post what you decided for that stay within that thread), then reply to this thread and I will be happy to offer suggestions for Chicago for the above dates (and I'll also offer other suggestions for these dates beyond the above, as well.)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I followed up on the Cincinnati thread.

The Intercontinental is a very nice blend of old-world and modern, right on Michigan Ave a couple of blocks North of the river. Very good, uniquely "Chicago" hotel, with one of the first pools ever built on a higher floor.

The Conrad - which used to the be the Le Parker Meridien - is a high-end property above a high-end mall right across from the Intercontinental. Very solid hotel.

The James was previously a lower-end property that was given a complete overhaul a few years ago and turned into a classy, comfortable boutique. Overall, all three properties - which are right by one another - are all great in their own way.

I'll also suggest the Embassy Suites Lakefront; while not a 4*, it's $139 on Expedia (coupon code FESTIVE10 takes $10 off per night) and offers a larger suite room and free breakfast/evening reception.

As I wrote on another thread this morning:

Taken from the other thread: "If your teens are looking for clothes, they may like looking through the Buffalo Exchange at 2875 N. Broadway. You can read more about it here That is a very popular resale store chain geared towards 20-30'somethings that has been on the Today show and other major media. It may be fun for them to search there and see if they can find any gems. That's in a neighborhood on the North Side, but it's easy enough to get to. Let me know if you would like directions. You could also work the nearby Lincoln Park Zoo into a visit to this area.

While there is more shopping on Michigan Ave, I'd also recommend Nordstrom Rack and Filene's in the State St. area, as those are likely better for bargains and may provide more surprise finds than other stores.

The teens may also like Reckless Records on 26 E. Madison. That's a used record chain; while this location is not quite as epic as the one on the North side, Reckless stores usually have a remarkable selection of used music/movies at reasonable prices."

Thanks. I was hoping you would respond to this post as you know Chicago so well. It appears to me that this is a no lose situation as far as the 4.5 star hotels go. My teenagers know Nordstrom Rack and Filene's well; they are a must stop. Not familiar with buffalo exchange. Is that off the red line?

As I am not a drinker and we are not breakfast people, not sure the extras Embassy Suites offer are that appealing.

Buffalo Exchange (which is a chain in other cities) is one of a number of popular resale shops in the Lakeview/Lincoln Park neighborhood (see also stores like Ragstock). Given that the neighborhood is fairly trendy and has a large population of 20-30 somethings, these stores will likely appeal to those in their late teens. You can get to these areas via the Red Line "L".

If the extras of the ES do not appeal, then the 4.5*'s on HOTWIRE are a good option; the James would be the best option, but I think all three are very nice hotels.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]