Hotwire Hotel: Visting Chicago for a Hawks and Bulls game - Jan. 2011

mrgreek
By mrgreek,
in

A mixed group of guys (six in total) are flying in from the great white north to catch a hockey and basketball game in early January. Now I know it's not really recommended to stay in the United Centre area for hotels and was thinking about an area with lots of bars/restaurants/night life. Shall I assume that the area I should be searching for hotels is in the Magnificent Mile area or do you suggest another? Once I decide on the area, I'll start the hotwire process and report back with my results.

Much appreciated!! :)

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

Please provide the exact dates of travel and we would be happy to offer suggestions. Additionally, how many rooms are you looking for?

January is certainly (aside from maybe one or two conventions) a slow month, so prices should be quite a bit more reasonable.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Howdy AaronJB,

Arrival - Friday January 7th

Departure - Sunday January 9th

3 rooms with 2 beds each

We'll be going to the United Center on Friday and Saturday nite for the games, so we don't mind taking a cab from our hotel if it's in a district where there are lots of bars and restaurants. Looking for 4-4+ star accomodations in the $100-125 range.

Regards,

MrGreek :)

The issue with PRICELINE is that you cannot guarantee the amount of beds in the room.

A few suggestions:

1. (High end): The Amalfi is $129 per night via Expedia, and offers free breakfast/evening reception. FESTIVE10 is a coupon for $10 off per night; but if you book all three rooms together, it only takes $10 off per night off of one of the three rooms.

2. (middle): The Embassy Suites Lakefront is $109 on Orbitz (Expedia is also $109 but adds an extra person fee when searching for 2 people in the room, which does not seem to appear on Orbitz. Coupon code REVIEW5 takes 5% off. Very nice area, larger rooms, free breakfast and evening reception. Only problem is that this would be 1 king + sofabed.

3. (lower) Doubletree Mag Mile for $89 (Expedia/Orbitz) or Wyndham for $94 (Expedia)

4. (lowest) Search for 3 rooms/6 adults/3 children (if you indicate more than 2 in the room, you will get some form of bedding for the entire party - that may mean 2 beds or 1 + sofa) on HOTWIRE, there is a 4* in the NMA-Water Tower-Gold Coast area for $74 a night (the amount you see may vary slightly). That listing has not yet been ID'd, but it may be the Avenue w/o the previously seen tennis icon, or possibly a different property. Still, the 4/5 tripadvisor rating on the detail page is of some comfort - at least this mystery property does get good reviews.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE, PRICELINE, Orbitz or Expedia links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks Aaron ... I really like the Embassy Suites location and I was quoted a price through Orbitz of $129 a night for two double beds in each room and I received a 5% discount using the coupon code. All in all, it was a pretty good rate.

However,

I did a search through Hotwire and found two interesting hotels which I need help identifying (all in the Magnificient Mile area and both recommended iin 90% of Hotwire customer reviews)..

Hotel #1 - $72.00 a night

4 Star, Smoke-Free Rooms, Bed-choice, Pool, Restaurant, Fitness Centre, High Speed Internet

Hotel #2 - $109.00 a night

When i search HOTWIRE for your dates, 3rooms/6adults the 4* and 4.5* hotels offered in the MagMile zone each have move amenities than you've listed above... please confirm the full list of amenities associated with each of the hotels above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The 4* property matches previous reports for the Sheraton and the Hotel Sax, so either of these would be my best guess... although i'll add that these amenities are somewhat common for the area and there would also be the possibility that this is some other 4* hotel with a new 'Smoke Free' icon.

The 4.5* matches previous reports for the Conrad Hilton, Inter-Continental and The James... so any of these would be my best guess for this one.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think the Embassy Suites is a very good choice in this case, even thought it is not a 4* (but is a really nice example of the chain and a 3.5*) - more space, and to have a made-to-order breakfast in the morning and evening reception at night are going to be nice bonuses for everybody.

Additionally, there is a giant Dominicks Grocery across the street, and any additional snacks/drinks can be picked up there.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the city.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]