Priceline Hotel: *4 rejected @ $185 - need advice

bixmax
By bixmax,
in

I'm in NYC on 4/15 for 2 nights. Looking for a 4* in Midtown East or Upper Midtown / CPS area. I've stayed at Grand Hyatt and Intercontinental Barclay previously through Priceline. Is $170 or thereabouts a reasonable start?

Thanks for your help. Just joined today.

$185 not accepted last night (4/1/05). Used multiple rebids. Looking for MTE or UP Mid CPS 4*. Started at $120 (probably way too low). Last bid @ $185 rejected.

What now? Did not bid Mid West, but would consider that now. How to start again? I don't want to continue past $185. And now would consider staying at Hilton, but for less money.

Should I check out Hotwire? Thanks for any help you can provide.

I'm looking for some help from moderators or experienced users.

Last night I made multiple bids for a *4 -- Mid East and UP Mid CPS were the two areas I wanted. Started at too low a price ($120), but was finally out of options @ $185 (rejected).

What to do?

I would now consider Midtown West, but want to start at lower than $185. Do I need to wait 72 hours, or is there a strategy to use with a new neighborhood?

Should I jump to Hotwire? I've never used that before.

Thanks one and all.

This is great information, but for a new person, a little daunting ...

Went to Hotwire for dates 4/15 - 17, 2005...

1) Mid East -- 3.5* -- $228 -- Restaurant, Fitness, Hi Speed Net & Business Center

2) Mid Central -- 3.5* --- $234 -- Boutique hotel, Restaurant, Business Center

3) Upper East -- 3.5* -- $259 -- Restaurant, Fitness Center, Spa, Business Center

What is the likelihood of finding anything around $200? It doesn't look good ...

Thanks one and all.

These have been tough dates for a few users and based upon current prices i would think that success under $200 is low.

The only hotel you mention above that has been identified is the 3.5* in MTE which is most likely the Roosevelt (if you book this please use this HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase)

If you're seriously considering the 3.5* at $259 i would also consider the following:

Fitzpatrick Grand Central for $268 review)

Ian Schrager's Morgan for $269/nite (review)

(the above have no booking fee so likely actually a little less than an equivalent purchase on Priceline or Hotwire at $259)

Another suggestion would be to stay in Jersey City NJ where you can likley get a hotel for 1/3-1/2 the cost of NYC for these dates. The hotels we suggest would have easy access to PATH train which will have you into midtown in about 15 minutes or downtown in under 10 minutes. It is a little less convenient than staying directly in Manhattan, but given the savings the trade-offs are well worth it in my opinion. If you want to go that route let us know (just continue this thread and we'll eventually move this to the NJ forum if that is where you ultimately win your hotel).

Let us know.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It's hard to believe that 185 is being turned down for this weekend. I booked a room at the Millenium Hilton 2 months ago for 177 and figured I'd get it on Priceline for about 110 or so according to recent gets. I'm seeing no last minute deals in NYC for this weekend. My room is selling for 259 right now so I'm happy but I'm not.

Fig

Your post indicates why bixmax is not currenlty successful... rates have gone up since you originally booked 2 months ago.

Here's another vote for bidding early and another opportunity to re-iterate that using somebody else's bidding strategy is not always a good idea, as bidding strategies are based upon current rates... using a strategy from somebody else's post or dates can result in wasted opportunities or overbids.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Final update from me on this trip ... I added Mid West to my bids, and was rejected @ $200. So, shopped the old fashioned way ... reservation at Doubletree Metropolitan (formerly Loews) 51st/Lexington. Through OctopusTravel.com got a package price of $438, which I think includes taxes but could be wrong.

I guess I'll bid earlier next time, and watch out for Spring Break trips! Thanks for your suggestions.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]