Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Newark (Jersey City) Courtyard by Marriott

Garee
By Garee,
in

I have a problem. I have already been accepted for Hyatt on April 17-20 for $55. I have not been able to secure April 16 on 3 bids of $47, $51 and $55.

Questions:

1. What is the absolute most I could bid for Hyatt? I understand that as I near $60, I would bring Double Tree into the equation.

2. Would they possible accept my bids if I choose to bid in the $47-$55 range again?

3. Is bidding on one date only more difficult to be accepted?

Thanks for the help. Any strategies would be great. Excellent site, by the way!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Unless opaque rates change this will likely require a much higher rate than you are currently bidding.

As this is the first day of your stay, how are you getting into town (flying, driving, etc) and what time will you be arriving (late and really just need a place for the first nite to sleep or arrving early and it's a full day of NYC for you?)

Please post the details of your previous win as a NEW TOPIC so that we can accurate reflect you win in a topic title.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We are flying in and arriving before 8am at JFK.

Win for April 17-20:

1st bid - $48 rejected

2nd bid - $55 accepted

Afterwards, we actually made a mistake and bid for April 17th again instead of April 16th. So we won an extra nite of April 17th for $52 on the first bid.

Unless opaque rates change this will likely require a much higher rate than you are currently bidding.

How much is "much higher"?

Likely over $100, but i can't say how much more since most usually don't bid this high as once you start getting into the $100's NYC becomes a more realistic option.

In your first post, were you asking how high you can bid for the Hyatt without 'risking' getting the Doubletree... or simply how high you should bid?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I contacted Priceline and was replied on 2 fronts:

1. A one-time refund was offered, only if I am accepted for a bid of the correct date within the next 48 hrs. Otherwise, cancellation can be done subject to a $25 charge.

2."Add a night" is not available for my reservations. Don't know why, it's just not there.

So, what should I bid for April 16 if I want to stay at Hyatt?

I will have to accept other hotels in the area if I am not able to successfully bid a price targetted at the Hyatt. But I would like to find out the absolute most that I can bid while aiming for Hyatt, or the absolute least I can bid and be accepted for Double Tree.

If I am to stay at Double Tree for April 16, I would like to know how far away it is from Hyatt. I may have to plan the trip between the hotels.

I don't understand "the most i can be while aiming for the Hyatt"... can you explain what you are trying to do/figure out?

The Hyatt is no longer showing on HOTWIRE so there is a very good chance there is no priceline availability at the hotel either. You may also want to consider the Candlewood Suites which is ever closer to the Hyatt than the Doubletree (although a bit right in the middle of the two local PATH stations) and offers free parking while you're staying there.

The Doubletree is a 5-10 minute walk to the Hyatt... or 90 seconds on the lightrail which stops right by each hotel.

OK, I just read the other post and agree that Hyatt may have pushed their prices up quite a bit (or maybe it was a limited time offer that has ended).

Anyways, I have another question (kinda dumb). At $55 per night, do we get complimentary breakfast at Hyatt?

Update:

I finally found the "Add a Night" option. So I gave it a crack at $55 again, believing that they either still have Hyatt available, or that they have totally withdrawn themselves from the discounted rates. Rejected.

Knowing that my offer to cancel my duplicate booking is only for 48hrs, I decided to go for it tonite anyways. So I aimed for the nearby Candlewood Suites at $62 for 2*. Rejected, but was suggested to add $17 to the bid.

I bid again at $79, and was accepted. But they've "upgraded" me to a 2.5* Marriott Courtyard. I was a bit disappointed, but looking at the map a lightrail ride between the hotels should still be quite easy.

Just recapping my second win from my other post.

For Jersey City April 16

1st bid: 3* "Add a night" option, $55 - rejected

2nd bid: 2*, $62 - rejected, suggested to ad $17 to bid

3rd bid: 2*, $79 - accepted, but "upgraded" to 2.5* Marriott Courtyard

I was hoping to get the 2* Candlewood Suite for it's location, but Marriott Courtyard should not be a big problem.

Do you think I overbid at $62 for 2*? If not, then it looks like price and availability have all been readjusted for the Jersey City area in 2-3* levels.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]