Hotwire Hotel: 4* London (Kensington-Earls Court) Hilton Olympia

jaykay27
By jaykay27,
in

I took a gamble on this one this afternoon. I'm a bit disappointed with the result - the reviews are very mixed, and I would have liked something closer to a "real" tube station, but hopefully it'll work out OK for me.

Amenities listed: Fitness Centre, Restaurant(s), Business Centre, High-speed Internet

Check-in: 11/24/2010

Check-out: 11/29/2010

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago. It wasn't the ideal location, but it was not bad. The hotel was so-so, but the transportation is fine! You will probably want to take the bus rather than the tube. You have great views of some of the nicest parts of London if you get on the upper deck. The bus will take you all the way to the corner of Park and Oxford Streets (I think those are the streets- it's the corner where the Marriott Park Lane is located, by the Hyde Park monument.) From there you can continue on Oxford St., or get off a few stops later for tube stops. You can also get off at several places prior, within feet of a tube stop. The buses are really easy to use if you know general directions and monuments. If not, the concierge will help. I found the staff at this hotel helpful.

This hotel is not nearly as bad as people report. It is a big hotel that seems to cater to large tour groups. The halls are dreary, but the rooms are brighter. My room was a bit dated, but very clean. The shower is the joke- I'm 5'1" and the shower head was barely above my head. You'll probably have to use it as a hand shower- take it off and spray, rather than standing under it. I guess if you are ready for that, it won't bother you so much.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the previous poster that you'll be in fine shape if you learn how to use the buses and do not depend on the inconvenient tube. And the hotel is okay, but who knows how it continues to be rated 4 stars, or even 3.5. It should in no way ever be considered anything more than an ordinary 3 star place. Clean yes, but very shabby hallways and fairly shabby rooms as well. Hilton needs to pay some attention to this place. For the money you can usually do better, and that's why I avoid Kensington when bidding these days, even though there are some nice hotels in that area.

I had a very nice room there with my mother. we took one of the several busses practically at the door from the hotel. There is even a bus from victoria. Get to know those routes. It is in a very nice area and you will feel like you are on a tour bus everyday into town. There are lots of nice eateries nearby and fresh fruit at a place across the street that we enjoyed as we opted out of the overpriced breakfast. I would not mind getting this hotel again. There is also a bus from the covnet garden area to go home after the theater. I suggest you become a hilton honors member before your stay. It might give you a little advantage if you do not like your room.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]