Priceline Hotel: Bidding Strategy-Kamuela Resort

PatShaver
By PatShaver,
in

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I don't suspect you'll have a problem withing bringing kids along in Hawaii as it's usually a bigger problem in large cities that notorious for small rooms. I'd suspect less of a problem at a resort property, but there is always a risk, and you have to calculate whether the savings are worth it or not. Also, i'm refering to 2 kids... not a family of 8 :)

Keep in mind that although the Hilton resort is the only resort that has been reported in this zone, there could always be others that we don't yet know about (i don't know the area well enough to say).

As to when to start bidding i prefer to bid as soon as my plans are firm. Gives me time to try some lowball offers and it's always better to have time on your side. Let us know if we can help with a strategy.

Here is another thread you may want to read: SHOULD I BID EARLY OR LATE?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your reply, thereuare!

I researched the hotel on their website and all rooms are either 2 doubles or a king and a sleeper sofa. I confirmed this with the hotel front desk and it's no problem to bring 2 children with a Priceline confirmation. However, they were really trying to sell me on booking through their website!

• 5 months later...

I need help trying to identify a 3-star hotel in the Waikiki "Near Beach" area. I'm considering it for a group and because we have children, we are using Hotwire rather than Priceline.

Here the information on the hotel: Hotel, Near Beach, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness Center, Business Center, Laundry Facilities for $96 a night.

• 1 month later...

After checking here, Hotwire and Priceline for months to book hotels for a group of 16 for July 6th - 9th, the group finally agreed to book the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach for $159 a night through www.bookit.com.

Priceline made me nervous because we all would want non-smoking and two double beds. And, then, I didn't want everyone to be mad if we didn't get the "right" hotel. Hotwire was a good alternative for us because of the bedding issue but the Outrigger on the Beach was not offered and that was our first choice of hotel. HHV was tempting at $176 a night but the reviews were better at tripadvisor for the Outrigger.

I wanted to share this for others that are looking for a deal and wanted to be comfortable with which hotel they were getting. I hope it's ok to post this. Take care!

For others wanting to go this "safe" route, make sure you check the Entertainment Card rates with Outrigger/Ohana and Aston (the two biggest Hawaiian chains) before booking with an outside agency. My experience -- especially with Aston -- is that the 50% discount is better than other offers.

FWIW, I really only recommend this strategy for those needing non-standard accomodations (those desiring a condo or an unusual property, like the Waimea Plantation cottages). Otherwise, we've been having remarkable success "guessing" priceline and hotwire Hawaiian hotels, and the prices are usually significantly lower.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to bid for a resort in the Kamuela area for July 2 - 6 (4 nights). I put in unsuccessful bids for $130, $135, and $140 by using the re-bid areas of Hilo and Kona. I know that you're not supposed to be trying to get specific hotels but I really want the Hilton because we have kids. I've been running the Packages feature with Priceline and the Hilton comes up for all those dates.

I hesitate to bid too high because I'm afraid that I will get the Hapuna Prince. I can bid for less nights but I don't understand why it would show up in the Packages feature for all 4 nights but not be available. Should I bid for 2 nights and try to add additional nights? I have backup reservations for $245 a night with breakfast included. Thanks!

I'm finding when I use other dates for the Packages section of Priceline, that the Hilton is less expensive and most of the time, it is less than the Hapuna. I think the price is not low enough for me to win or if I keep bidding higher, I will get the Hapuna.

For example:

July 2 - 6 Hilton Waikoloa $1,180 Hapuna Prince $1,146

June 4 - 8 Hilton Waikoloa $950 Hapuna Prince $1,062

I think I need a situation like June 4th - 8th to win. Don't you agree? Have people bidding for the Hilton seen the prices go down as the dates get closer? The hotel lists the lowest prices for the July 2 - 6th dates as $239 a night while the June 4 - 8th dates are $219 a night.

Thanks!

I think your assessment is correct, although not as conclusive as you'd like to believe (ie- it's not foolproof).

I'm still not seeing the Hilton show up on a vacation package search for 7/2-7/6 :) (only when i change the check-out date to the 5th am i able to see it).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think the Package section is not working consistently. Now when I try it for 7/2 -7/6, it does not show the Hilton. So I changed the dates for 7/1 - 7/5, the Hilton shows up. Then I changed the dates for 7/2 - 7/5 just to see what the price of the Hilton versus the Hapuna Prince is and the Hilton doesn't show up at all! :)

Sadly, the packages feature seems less reliable of late (I hope it's not priceline's attempt to thwart us from gaming it!).

Regardless, if you want the Hilton, break up your stay into the minimum nights you are willing to accept and bid $130 and then up to $135. You will either get thumbs up or thumbs down, with very little risk of getting anything else. And, of course, you can rebid again as your dates get closer.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]