Hotwire Hotel: 4* Oahu (Waikiki Beach) Sheraton Waikiki

travelbee88
By travelbee88,
in

I need help with bidding for a hotel for Oct 20-22, 2010 in Waikiki Beach.

I would like the Sheraton Waikiki or Hyatt, but looks like these two properties are not available at Priceline for my dates.

The only resorts that come up, when I check for available hotels are the Marriott, Outrigger Reef, Moana Surfrider and the Royal Hawaiian (as a 5*)

Wouldn't mind getting the Marriott Waikiki or the Outrigger Reef though. My max. amount is around $130...

Tried bidding on PL with $140 for a 5* in Waikiki Beach - rejected.

Added resorts and bid $100 - rejected.

Any advise on what I should do next?

Can I add a zone that does not have resorts just to get another bidding shot, to skip the 24 hrs waiting? Waikiki Central does not seem to have resorts, so, if I add that zone, is there a potential that I still get a resort that is neither on the betterbidding list, nor in the Priceline search results for my dates? The only 5* that PL offers seems to be the Royal Hawaiian, so if I add any other zone that does not have resorts, nor 5* hotels, how big are the chances that I get a 5* that is not on the list/search result?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by reading your messages.

I would like the Sheraton Waikiki or Hyatt, but looks like these two properties are not available at Priceline for my dates.

The only resorts that come up, when I check for available hotels are the Marriott, Outrigger Reef, Moana Surfrider and the Royal Hawaiian (as a 5*)

You can't use the 'retail' version of PRICELINE to determine what is available thru the "Name Your Own Price" side of PRICELINE... the two areas operate independently of each other and use a different inventory of hotels. For more info see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.
Can I add a zone that does not have resorts just to get another bidding shot, to skip the 24 hrs waiting? Waikiki Central does not seem to have resorts, so, if I add that zone, is there a potential that I still get a resort that is neither on the betterbidding list, nor in the Priceline search results for my dates?
Yes, you can add re-bid zones, but don't use the method (ie- the hotel lists here or the retail listings for your dates at priceline) you're using to determine your re-bid zones. The only method which should be used to determine your re-bid zones is outlined here: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained

At the Resort level you have FOUR such re-bid zones. See if you can determine these using the information in the link above and confirm them with the board. If you read the previous link and are confused, just post back and we'll break it down further for you. Once you have re-bidding understood we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks thereuare for your help.

After reading about the rebidding strategies, I added the following two zones to the Waikiki Beach zone to get re-bids:

Waikiki Central

Diamond Head.

I also increased my offers to $162 and still got rejects....

I think that the Executive Centre and Honolulu Airport zones do not have Resorts and 5* properties either (as per PL's 'Name your own price' screen, in which you select your zones), but how likely are the chances that I get a resort or 5* hotel nonetheless? Those are the areas that I definitely do not want to end up getting a hotel at.

My max. rate that I want to pay is $175, so, I'm not too far from it anymore... :)

Thanks for your help.

Waikiki Beach Hotel, 4* - Oct 20-22, 2010

$149 with the following amenities:

Near Beach

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Business Center

Laundry Facilities

High-speed Internet Access

Golf Nearby

Tennis Nearby

This hotel does not charge an additional resort fee.

75% of Hotwire reviews recommend

Any ideas which hotel it is?

Thanks so much!

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

Yes, it appears you have your re-bid zones correct (assuming you're bidding the resort category)... but you always need to check your re-bid zones before each bidding cycle.

The HOTWIRE property above matches previous reports for the Waikiki Parc so that would be my best guess for that one.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know what you decide or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Just another question: I noticed that when I place a new bid after 24 hours, the star ratings of previous bids are being saved by PL.

What I mean is: Two days ago I bid on 5* hotels and resorts and my bids of $162 got rejected.

24 hrs later I added 4* and lowered my bids to $120 and still got rejected. In the reject screen the previous selected star ratings are greyed out...

My concern is now, if I wait another 24 hrs and start bidding $170 and just select resorts & 5* hotels (not 4* anymore), is there a chance that I get a 4* hotel for $170 as this star rating is what I previous selected? I really don't want to end up paying $170 for a 4* property but ist seems like PL saves your pervious selected star ratings and applies it to your new bids/offers, even if you change your star rating selection and waited 24 hrs.

Thanks for your help!

The star rating you select is the minimum you are willing to accept, so when you bid for a 4* hotel PRICELINE is also checking for 'resort class' and 5* hotels... this is why they're grayed out and selected, not because you had bid them the day(s) prior.

When placing a bid only the star rating you want, and anything higher if it's a re-bid, should be selected. (ie- in your example above if you bid again in 24 hours you should be able to only select Resort and/or 5*... 4* should not be selected or grayed out when you try to bid)

Used the HOTWIRE link through this website.

Booked 4* hotel with following amenities for $154 a night, excluding taxes:

Resort

Beachfront

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Laundry Facilities

High-speed Internet Access

Children's Activity Program

90% satisfaction.

This hotel typically charges all guests a resort fee of about $25 per room per night...

Kinda "knew" by reading your forums that it would be the Sheraton Waikiki (and was hoping for it), and indeed it was! :)

Had a reservation for $218 per night which i cancelled now. Priceline offered same hotel for direct booking for $265.

Thank you betterbidding! You guys rock! :)

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and that you're happy with the results... looks like a nice deal.

Thank you for sharing your results and using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]