Hotwire Hotel: Advice for Lisbon?

cheffip
By cheffip,
in

I'll be staying in Lisbon for two nights, November 13-14.

I'm surprised to see there are no reports of Lisbon hotels on your Hotwire forum even though Hotwire itself lists a number of hotels there.

There does seem to have been some action on your Priceline forum for Lisbon so am I better off bidding? Or should I just try to get a well-rated hotel through Hotels.com. I would want a 4-5* property.

Any suggestions?

I'm just a member, but I think the way I'd approach your problem is to first find the least expensive satisfactory result (to me) on Hotels.com. I'd consider maybe 90% of that my cap for HOTWIRE since there is some value in knowing for sure what one is getting.

If HW has a deal better than the above cap, I'd next do a little PRICELINE bidding. I'd bid up to maybe 90% of the HW rate (this is the second 90%) since HW tends to be a little more generous with its stars (about 1/2 a star).

If I wasn't successful with PL, I'd take the HW deal. And then I'd be a good citizen and report the results back here so the next member would have a little more with which to work.

The 4 or 5* choice is a function of your budget and needs/requirements. The 90% is an arbitrary value I put on taking a chance and dealing with unknowns. Your % may be higher or lower.

Romelle

You might also issue a plea for anyone to report HOTWIRE Lisbon results here. Sometimes there is someone out there who just hasn't gotten around to it?

How flexible are your needs for this stay... are you comfortable with a hotel anywhere within the shaded region of the PRICELINE zone?

What is the best rate you're able to find thru conventional booking channels for this stay? What is your PRICELINE / HOTWIRE budget for this stay?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
In the end I booked a B&B that is highly regarded in Tripadvisor reviews. But thanks for the help, as always.

If you don't mind my asking, since we're keeping an eye on going to Lisbon next year, which B&B did you end up booking and how much did it cost? (I know this isn't officially a hotwire/priceline question but we're all looking for nice places and great prices.)

stu

No problem...I stayed at "the House". I paid 90 euros but you may get for significantly less depending on the room you choose and dates. It has a top floor terrace with stunning views over Lisbon and it's very close to the #28 tram which goes everywhere you would want to be in Lisbon. Good breakfast. Very nice owner. Check out the Tripadvisor reviews.

• 1 month later...

I think it really depends on if you are a vacation or on business.

For Holidaymakers I'd definetely recommend to stay in the downtown area (BTW: airport is very central so taxis to most hotels, BB and apartments - 5-8 EUR make sure they don't cheat you what they usually do :) )

Personally I prefer apartments in the quieter (tourist free) areas west of "Bairro Alto" Lapa and Santos....

Business or just 1 night: stay in the sourounding hotels (e.g. Novotel, Mercure, Corithnia, Marriott etc.)

The hotel prices in Lisboa vary very much on when you book: long before arrival they try to keep them high as possible but the more your wait they will decrease! So I'd book a flexible rate in the prefered area if this gives you security (to have a room at all) and check frequently your prefered alternatives incl. the booked hotel.

If there is no fair I'm almost sure that you'll end up - 5 days before arrival - at the following price level.

5* 80-120 EUR

4* 60-80 EUR

3* 40-50 EUR

2* 35-50

BF included or not (that's part of the game)

B&B depends on area (they usually don't change the rates at all): 90 EUR is already on the top end I'd pay in Lisboa refering to the above hotel rates.

Enjoy Lisboa!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]