Priceline Hotel: New Orleans

GJC53
By GJC53,
in

Hi all

I've used Priceline thru this site a few times and loved it each time.

Plans are for Jazzfest 2011, going May 3 for 6 nights.

I've heard the stories about staying on the beaten path. Are hotels in the Riverfront, Downtown and Warehouse areas safe to walk to and fro to the quarter, or should we stay in the quarter?

Any advise will be appreciated

Thanks

New Orleans is a city so you should be 'aware' of your surroundings regardless of what part of the city you're in. (even when you're in the French Quarter)

I would try to stay in the Downtown and/or French Quarter zones... Downtown is still close to Quarter and can offer some good value; the Convention Center zone can get to be a long walk to the center of the FQ.

If you're ready to bid for this stay now, let us know which zone(s) you decide upon as well as your desired star rating and budget, and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the advice. I'll take that advice and stay closer to the quarter.

After looking at the differnet areas, then adding airfare, it's pricey.

I looked at Priceline packages and it seems to be alot cheaper that way.

Airfare lists around $1400 for a couple. The Sheraton on Canal St pkg with air is $2000.

Is there a chance I could still get a 4* room in that area for under $100 per night to make it comparable?

Thanks again

I'm a little confused... are you looking for two rooms (or one)??

Is the $2000 package for two or four airline tickets? How many hotel rooms?

Airfare is $1400/couple... that's $700 per ticket; where are you flying in from?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry about the confusion.

Roundtrip airfare from Buffalo NY to New Orleans is listed today around $700 per person or $1400 a couple which sounds unreasonably high. As the date gets closer to Jazzfest, I'm sure it may get even higher. (May 3 - 9)

So just the price for my wife and I would be $1400 airfare plus hotel for 6 nights.

If we could get a 4* Downtown, such as the Sheraton, for under $100 using Priceline thru this site, then the price would be about the same as using the Priceline Package Deal.

The $2000 Package is airfare and hotel room at the Sheraton for 2.

The trip is for two couples so we'll need 2 rooms, that's why I wondered if I bid, would I bid as needing two rooms.

Thanks for your patience

Roundtrip airfare from Buffalo NY to New Orleans is listed today around $700 per person or $1400 a couple which sounds unreasonably high.

It does sound very high. I just used Expedia to search for your route and it appears flights start at $250 (one stop/connection)... do you get lower fares when searching Expedia?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (and our Expedia link)

Using Expedia thru the link found here, return flights for 2 is about $590 plus 1 bag each for a total of $690

Bags fly free with SW, so the deal is about the same.

Now just to find the right deal on a 4* Downtown.

Hotwire lists a 4* Downtown property @ $152 with

Fitness Ctr

Pool

Restraunt

Business Ctr

Hi-speed int

95% guest rating

I'm asuming from what I've read here that may be the Intercontinental

Also Hotwire lists the Sheraton as 3.5* while Priceline lists as 4*

Using that info, wondering where I should begin bidding on Priceline

Hope I'm not still sending confusing info

Roundtrip airfare from Buffalo NY to New Orleans is listed today around $700 per person or $1400 a couple...
Using Expedia thru the link found here, return flights for 2 is about $590 plus 1 bag each for a total of $690

Bags fly free with SW, so the deal is about the same.

If the information is correct as posted, they're not even close to the same price...

The first quote is $700 per person (and presumably free bags)

The second quote is $300 per person and (even assuming $25 per flight for one bag is $25 x 2) totals $350 per person.

So the first is $1400 per couple ($700 x 2) whereas the second is $700 per couple ($350 x 2)

Are the numbers/comparisons above correct as it's a very big difference which will be a factor in regards to doing better then the package deal you have quoted.

Wow....now I know why you are the expert

Long weekend here = brain cramps

Southwest is indeed about $1400 per couple

Expedia is around $600 per couple

No contest. So my answer is likely bidding on a 4* Downtown

I prefer the Sheraton, but the Intercontinental would suffice.

Are these the only 2 likely choices in this area at 4*?

Once again, thanks for your patience and stellar advice

There are a lot of 4* hotels in this zone... you can see all the hotels reported to the board in this area in the Priceline Hotel List (keeping in mind the comments at the top of the list that ratings change and new hotels can be added at any time)

If you want to bid on PRICELINE let us know your maximum bid and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow. If you're trying to target a specific property HOTWIRE may be a better option as you may be able to take a guess at the property beforehand based upon the amenities associated with the offering.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Southwest Airlines only opened the schedule thru the dates for Jazzfest this week, and they did a brutally good job of inventory management. On prime days to fly to NOLA for fest (and from NOLA after fest), many or all flights are offering only full fare. I guess they know those flights will fill eventually, at any price.

I ended up going in a different direction and booking through my travel agent.

The reason being that this is a long time -in-coming trip, and I really wanted to know which hotel I'd being staying at.

I ended up booking the Hilton Riverside.

It's one of the 4* star hotels outside the Quarter that I wanted to stay at.

Prices may jack up for the Jazzfest so I booked early. Oh yeah...got flights fairly cheap too.

I will however send in a review of the property after the trip.

As always, thanks for all the advice y'all give us. It's really appreciated.

GJC

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]