Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on Hudson

mcgyver
By mcgyver,
in

I'd like to share information on my failed PL bid to Hyatt. I bidded for 3* @ $61 and PL said it offerred another immediate bid attempt if I raised the bid for another $16 ($77 total) but I didn't. I will try to re-bid again in the next 72 hours. My previous falied bids were $50 and $55.

After I followed the webboard, it looks like $35-$50 range is no longer possible with Hyatt at the moment. Should I just forget this hotel and look for 2* or 2 1/2*? My travel dates are coming up.

Thanks,

Mac

P.S. I saw the Holland Motor Lodge from Expedia.com and it offers $67/night and is said to be very close to PATH. Is it worth?

I knew someone who stayed at the Holland Motor Lodge and the only redeeming factor for this property is that it is close to the entrance to the Holland Tunnel, but that's it. Stay here at your own risk! You could get the Candlewood suites for $106 on Hotwire. This friend usually makes only last minute room reservations and the Holland Motor Lodge was his last resort.

...and the Holland Motor Lodge was his last resort

Should the Holland Motor Lodge and the word resort be used in the same sentence? :)

Back to the situation at hand...

As long as you don't mind splitting this purchase (and risk having to change hotels) i would try a $55 bid for 4/10-4/12 on Priceline... if that is rejected you can buy the 3.5* on HOTWIRE at $80 believed to be the Hyatt.

Then you can figure out the remaining two days.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you Thereuare and dahammer for your suggestions. I had my gf bid 4/10-4/12 at $61 for 4/10-4/12 (2 nights) but it also failed. For my next attempt on Sunday, should I bid higher than $61 or should I try $55 as you suggested?

I would not mind any hotel that is near the PATH station since my destination is NYC but if I got the Hyatt, my gf would be impressed. :)

For my curiosity, is there any formula for a PL initial bid if we know the hotwire's rate? For example, hotwire offers $80, how do I know that $55 is a good bid amount?

TIA,

Mac

Considering the 'mess' surrounding the recent price hikes at the Hyatt, why goof around with this? If you would prefer the Hyatt i would just take it on HOTWIRE for $80.

You may be able to eventually get it for less, but if this rate is pulled from Hotwire then you will not likely find anything nearly as good at this price... in my opinion the risk of nothing is greater than the downside of paying $10-$15 more per nite now to lock it in! If you'd prefer the Courtyard at a slightly lower price then i would lower your bid to 2.5* and try for that now, if rejected take the deal from HOTWIRE.

Just my .02

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It's $80-$81 for 4/10-4/12 from Hotwire. The 4/13-4/14 must be full. I will bid again this Sunday and if it is rejected, I will go for Hotwire (using SavingsBarn.com link of course).

Since I am not familiar with the Jersey City area, is there any hotel better than the $67 Holland Motor Lodge for 4/13-4/14? My only requirement is a close proximity to PATH train.

Mac

The motor lodge is in a bad area to get to the path from...

(Basically you have to cross Louis Marin Blvd - busy busy road), wander through a deserted (at night) malls car park (approx. 3 blocks), walk down washington blvd (roughly 4 blocks) to get to the Newport Pavonia path

The others are considerably safer:

- Candlewood is probably equi-distant from both Newport Pavonia and Exchange Place - I'd go to Exchange Place during the day...

- Courtyard is next door to Newport Pavonia Path

- Doubletree is a few blocks up washington blvd, opposite avalon cove - basically turn left for approx. 3 blocks - 10 mins walk).

- Hyatt is next door to the Exchange Place Path

Tom

(as of last Monday, sob, sob, ex-JC resident)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]