Priceline Hotel: 3.5* or 4* Times Square

atomicskiracer
By atomicskiracer,
in

Hey guys, back again (almost exactly a year later)

I am yet again looking to take my gf on a long weekend probably Nov. 18-21st. We did this same weekend last year, and I thought it was a good mix of price/experience. This was close enough to Christmas season that many decorations were out, but was the weekend before the really expensive time started! Last year, we stayed at the Sheraton Manhattan, (i believe its the Manhattan at Times Square, or something to that effect) and had a very good experience. Yes, the hotel wasn't the newest, the room had some areas that were not perfect, but overall it wasn't too bad at all, and the location was PERFECT and I would stay there again..BUT, it is now downgraded to a 3*, and honestly, although I enjoyed the Sheraton (mostly because of the location) i would prefer to not get stuck with any other 3* hotel...

This bring me to this year. I am thinking about doing one of two things:

#1: I am thinking about upgrading to a 4* this year, just for us to have a nicer hotel. Anyone have anoy experiences or thoughts on the variance between the 3.5* and the 4* Time Square hotels? What do you think the price range will be for the time period? Last year I got our hotel for $150, any thoughts on my being able to repeat this again this year? How much more $$ do you think that it would be? Yes, I know we can find cheaper rates in other areas, but honestly I loved being in Times Square, very easy access to many cool things, close to the subway and boradway, and really enjoyed walking through TS on the way to the hotel every night. Additionally, because the Sheraton has now been downgraded to a 3*, maybe a 3.5* would still be a bump up? Ideally, i would love to stay at the Marriot Marquis, but with the amount of 3.5*'s, there is only a small chance of that happening... Thoughts?

#2: Rather than spending the extra $ on a nicer hotel, changing our stay to Nov. 26-29 (with the thought that there would be more Christmas stuff up) Thanks to the bidding calender and my research from last year, it appears that would be the last weekend before the rates go crazy, but it will still be more expensive than the pervious weekend. So do I keep the same weekend and stay in a nicer hotel, or go for the more expensive weekend with a better (Christmas) atmosphere?

Lots of questions up there, but any help would be great :)

Just as a quick update....I put in the dates to "name my own price" just to see what the avg. rate was according to priceline, and it appears that my second option may be cheaper. For a 4* in TS Nov 18-21 it was $399 as an avg, while the 26-29th was $369.. Does this realistically mean I could get a 4* for less than $200 per night?? Thanks for the help!!

If you're looking to stay in the MTC zone (where the Sheraton is located) or the Times Square zone i think you're looking at ~$225 for either a 3.5* or 4* hotel for 11/26-11/29... probably a little higher for 11/18-11/21. My advice would be to include other zones, but you seem to be fairly set in your mind on where you'd like to stay.

I would of course star lower then the amounts i've indicated above but i think that's a general ballpark at what it will likely take. Rates last year were lower then this year (as the economy has begun to come back a little) and we have seen fairly strong rates this Fall season compared to the very depressed rates of the last two years.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Shereton is MTc? I bid TS last year and got it...What do you think about the differences between a 3.5 relative to a 4* in the TS area? Will it be worth the price increase, or do you expect that there wont be much of one? I am stuck on the location, as that is a big part of the experience for me, and am happy to pay a premium for that. Thanks!!

Sorry... the Sheraton is in the MTC zone on HOTWIRE (there is no MTC zone on PRICELINE) and Times Square zone on PRICELINE.

The 4* hotels in the Times Square zone are a step-up from the 3.5* properties... but it's really a personal preference if worth the extra money or not. I'm not seeing too much price difference between the two at the moment, but that could change at any time.

You could say that a 4* is worth $10-25 more to you per nite (or whatever number you decide) and then bid up to $150 for a 4*.... if rejected bid up to $140 for a 3.5*... if rejected bid up to $165 or a 4*... if rejected try up to $150 for a 3.5*, etc, etc. (i'm suggesting you'll win at any of these bid amount, just using as an example)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

How much cheaper are MTW hotels realive to TS? Thanks for the help!

Hard to say... rates are just high in general for these dates, and my advice would be to expand to other areas, it really isn't worthwhile (imo) to 'pay up' to be in Times Square (are almost any other midtown zone) when all the midtown zones are so close in proximity to each other and the boundaries are often separated by one side of the street vs. the other side of the street.

After doing some more research after some failed bidding attempts, i found out that (for atleast one 3.5* hotel) that the Priceline retail price for thursday was $459 a night, while the price for sunday night is $299. Because of this, I am changing our trip to go from Nov 19-22. I looked at another recent winning bid for $180 during Oct 31-Nov 1, and through looking at Pricelines regular rates, that weekend has the same average price as my weekend does(same area and star location). Does that mean that I have a shot of getting the 3.5* at $180 in TS? Right now I am up to $175 with no luck. What do you think will win in?

Does that mean that I have a shot of getting the 3.5* at $180 in TS? Right now I am up to $175 with no luck. What do you think will win in?

Are you referring to this Priceline NYC thread? I'm seeing different rates for their nites ($349) vs. your dates ($429)... or are you referring to some other reported win?

Based upon current rates i'm not so confident that $180 will be enough, but if you suspect that $180 would be the right number to win, why would you use a bidding strategy that only reached $175??

I was incorrect, I was looking at different dates. Also, my bidding strategy had only gone up to $175 because there are not a lot of rebidding zones for TS and I started low...In the interest of making sure I am using the right strategy, and considering I am up to 190, what is a bidding strategy for the above nights for ts? Thanks

My suggestion is that if you like being surrounded by tourists and lots of hoopla then stay in time square otherwise stay at other properties in the area.

There are many other zones which are nearby, which have better restaurants, less crowded and just more relaxing atmosphere.

Keep in mind it is easy to access all areas by walking, cab or subway.

My suggestion would be look for a hotel under 40th street

If you're still looking at 11/19-11/22, based upon current prices i'm guessing a 3.5* in the Times Square zone will likely cost you in excess of $200+... probably close to $225-$250. What is your maximum bid at this time?

At the 3.5* level you have THREE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 3.5* Times Square...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Times Square and re-bid zone2...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $205, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Times Square and re-bid zone3..

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $215, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Times Square and re-bid zone2 and re-bid zone3...

Bid $220, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $225

I'd start with the above. If rejected we'll revise to try again in 24 hours.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]