OR Portland Doubletree Lloyd Center Downtown

BrendaBonk
By BrendaBonk,
in

We've stayed here three times already since I found Priceline a few months ago. It's a very nice place. The rooms are small but there are only two of us and no kids. The buisness center is easily accessable to check email or print up directions...

It's a convenient location -- a one minute walk to the Lloyd Center Mall and a 30 second walk to the MAX light rail line that heads into downtown, up-town or to the airport.

Seem to be many conventions held at this site.

The only disappointment is no (winter) pool or hot tub and the parking is and extra $9 a night.

• 3 months later...

First let me say I got this hotel for a very cheap rate of $41.00 per night. I still feel like I got a bit ripped when I compare my bid with others who got it for a little less. Why do I say that? Well this hotel clearly discriminates against Priceline travellers and assigns the smallest and least desirable rooms.

My room had one queen bed, a window that would not open, and a shower without a bath tub. It was one of the smallest rooms I have ever seen. When I called the desk to see if I could switch rooms, she apologized and said "Your reserved your room through Priceline and your received our standard room. I get in trouble if I move you to a larger room." My Hilton Honors card did not help to get to a larger room.

It may have helped to get me my room on the ninth floor which had a decent view of downtown Portland. So except for the size of the room, it wasn't so bad for one traveller. It would be tight with two people. My room was 937. If you are able to squeeze a room on the even side, they have balconies which would make the room seen larger but you face a different direction and may hear public transportation and street noise. My room was pretty quiet.

The queen bed was comfortable with four pillows. The desk chair and desk were nicely finished and the television had many cable channels. It was about 27 inches. The carpets were clean and the decor very standard. I did need to put a towel underneath the door to block out light and noise since there was a big gap that was annoying.

With that being said, the hotel is also outside of center city area although it is part of Priceline downtown zone. The 4 star hotels are in and around dowtown. Fortunately, it was a quick and free ride by public transportation (The MAX) to center city. The MAX is located right outside the hotel and is very, very convenient to the airport and downtown. No need to rent a car if you are coming as a tourist. It cost $1.70 each way to the airport and takes about 20-25 minutes. Trains, busses and trolleys can take you almost anywhere around Portland. Taxi's are available too which helped me since the MAX does not run all night.

There is a mall across the way and restaurants in the area, but the neighborhood did not seem very safe at night. The streets were basically deserted when I would come back from downtown on the MAX.

This hotel is a convention hotel and has a nice size lobby. It also has a bunch of restaurants, a bar, and tons of meeting space. They have a nice lobby that is well maintained. The gym has aerobic equipment and weights. There is also a computer room that one can use for free. They even allow you to print for no cost. This makes this hotel clearly deserving of its 3* rating. It's the standard rooms that don't cut it since the windows don't open, they only provide a shower, and they are as small as a Motel 6 rooms.

So, I had a small room, but I did get a high floor with a decent view. Except for the small room and not really being in downtown, well, overall the Doubletree Lloyd Center is a good value. I was just glad I was traveling alone.

Portland, in itself, is also a great city. Downtown is divided into many different areas that are interesting and historic. There are many neat neighborhoods to explore, unusal public art, tons of parks that are interactive, and lots of history.

Getting outside the city can be exciting as well. If you have the time, take a day to do an eco tour along the scenic highway, eventually to Mt. Hood, that will take you past amazing waterfalls, a fascinating dam with a salmon rope, and to one of the most picturesque mountain tops I have ever seen.

Portland also has amazing gardens that are worthy of a visit. The Rose Garden gives you a great view of downtown and some fanatastic smells as well as beautiful roses. The Japanese Garden is really remarkable as well as peaceful.The Chinese Garden brought me a sense of a respect for out enviroment and our culture.

My stay could have been better and I would be disappointed if I got the Doubletree again but getting this property, especially if you are a single traveler, is not too bad.

• 1 year later...

Our flight was 2 hours late arriving at PDX, we were worrying that we might miss the last MAX light rail. We caught the 1130 pm train and it dropped us almost at the front door of DoubleTree. The "Priceline room" was nicely appointed (6 pillows on a queen bed) albeit small. Since it is withing the "Downtown Free-ride zone", we took the MAX and toured the downtown before returning to the hotel for Checkout at 1115 am. We had to wait till noon for the car rental weekend rate.

I wouldn't mind to stay at this place again for a PDX overnight. Story may be different if we were driving into Portland.

• 2 months later...

To add to the above posts, this is not a friendly hotel for traveling by car. Overnight parking is $18. While on-street parking is available , you'll need to move your car by 8am or start feeding the meter.

There is definitely a priceline bias at this hotel. I got a room (small) at the end of the hall, and it took 20+ minutes to check in due to a pissy patron at the head of the line. When I asked for a copy of receipt at end of stay, I got a curt "you made your reservation through priceline" reply.

The locale next to the MAX line is enticing, but the nearby shopping center, once the flagship of the northwest, is tired and old. Of course, you can jump on the MAX for some fine shopping across the river.

All in all, for a one night stay, not bad, though I would much rather stay at Courtyard or Residence Inn, both in the same zone.

• 5 years later...

I'm going to have to disagree with the other posters about a bias against Priceline bidders. I stayed last June 2012 and was treated very well: big room, positive front desk welcome, special package deal on parking and internet, and comfy stay.

After a long drive up the West Coast, I was glad to arrive here. Definitely a business-oriented hotel (my people!) in the Lloyd District (across the river from downtown), this hotel was an excellent Priceline win for $41/night for 3 nights ($147.54 inclusive). This stay was a prime example of Priceline wizardry being a success.

Pros:

1. Covered garage offers in-and-out privileges for $18/night. Rate declines to $9/night on weekends.

2. Internet service is solidly reliable and fast. $12.95 per night rate.

3. Front desk staff (special mention to Jared Kim) warmly welcomed me, handed me a fresh warm cookie, and was receptive to my request for an upgrade. I mentioned that I'd be willing to pay for the upgrade, given that my reservation came via Priceline. Jared upgraded me at no charge to freshly renovated room 831 in the old tower since I was parking my car in the hotel's garage.

4. He offered me a package for parking and internet for $20/night, which was a savings of $10.95 off the retail rate. Like a fat kid loves candy, I eagerly accepted this deal.

5. Housekeeping was fantastic in taking care of my larger room with 2 queen beds in it. It had a separate vanity area, work desk, and elegantly tiled bath. The room itself featured a city view with the mountains in the distance.

6. The bedding was crisp and of good quality, the mattress was firm, and the air conditioning system was quiet and efficient.

7. In checking out, I stopped by the front desk to ask for a folio since one wasn't slipped under my door. The two clerks were busy on the phone but one of the managers noticed and politely asked if she could help with anything. She was charming and efficient.

8. The MAX light-rail line stops a half-block away and is great if you don't want to drive a car into Portland's downtown. It was quiet and you couldn't hear it from my 8th floor room.

Cons:

1. The second window's blackout shade was slightly broken. A prior guest had broken off the rod for the shade (how does this happen?) and it had not been fixed. This left a panel to droop and allow the morning light to pour in; normally, I'm an early bird but I was on vacation and wanted to sleep in.

2. There really wasn't any other negative to this hotel, other than the standard shocking list prices for food on the menus. But, this is easily solved by just leaving the hotel for a quick 5-minute walk to the neighboring Lloyd District to the Safeway or to loads of local restaurants.

Priceline got me a great deal on this stay - and I didn't even need the cookie to make me happy.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]