Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Magnificent Mile-Streeterville) Hyatt Regency

travelgirl101
By travelgirl101,
in

I will be visiting Chicago from 10/9-10/12 and just found out the marathon is going on that weekend...but I am still hoping to find a deal on a hotel.

I've tried bidding for a 4* star hotel. Bids ranging from $110-$135. Starting at the Loop, then adding zones Franklin, Hyde Park, Lincoln Park, Midway, Skokley.

Any ideas of what is a good rate for a 3-4* hotel during that time?

thanks!

This is traditionally one of the busiest/most expensive dates of the year in Chicago. Rates are - surprisingly - not awful - but I think what may be the issue for 10/9-12 is that regular rates may not be horrible, but I think discounts will not be aggressive, either.

What would be your desired max budget per night?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Yes, I've only tried 4* and rebid in the areas that didn't have 4* hoping to have extra chances in the Loop. Yes, NMA is acceptable. I will try that area too! :)

I'm hoping not to pay more than about $150 a night. If it isn't realistic I will go to a lower star level or increase my budget a little.

At the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* NMA...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Loop...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* NMA and Loop...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Is it always better to start off low and add several re-bidding zones vs. starting off higher and only use a couple of the re-bidding zones? Sometimes I get nervous that new property will be added to a zone I don't want.

Yesterday I unsuccessfully bid ranging from $138-$145 with Loop & NMA selected with 4*, 3.5*, and 3* selected.

Sometimes I get nervous that new property will be added to a zone I don't want.

Are you using the techniques from Priceline Re-Bidding Explained to determine your re-bid zones and checking them before each bidding cycle? (ie- you DON'T want to use the hotel lists to determine your re-bid zones)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Good luck and let us know how it goes... any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

No win yet. I started at $125 and re-bid up to $150. I used the zones: Millennium Park, NMA, Franklin, Hyde Park, Lincoln Park, Midway Airport, & Skokie.

I'm wondering how much higher I should bid or should I lower my star levels next? Or would waiting closer to the date get me a better price? Priceline says the median retail price for a 4 star hotel is $167. I don't know if this is taking into account that this is a busy marathon weekend.

HOTWIRE has the Ambassador Hotel for $161/nite and it appears to be refundable (doublecheck terms if you go this route) and perhaps you could use this as a back-up while you continue to bid. If you decide to bid higher i don't think you're too far from a win... perhaps $160-$165/nite might be enough.

Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option? Given the Saturday nite is more expensive then the other two nites, would you be willing to stay at one hotel the first nite and then changing properties to a different hotel for the next two nites be a possibility?

I'd split the stay in this case, as 10/10-12 are far more reasonable - I'm seeing the Hyatt for $109 on HOTWIRE for 10/10-12, for example.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I hadn't really considered switching hotels an option because of the hassle, but by saving that much I will go that route! I was just looking at the $109 for Sun & Mon on Hotwire and I like the Hyatt. I searched for Sat night and the only options that popped up on Hotwire on Sat night in Mag Mile & NMA are $246 & $302. Do you think I'd have better luck on Priceline for Saturday? Thanks :)

I'm seeing a 4* in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area for 10/10-12 w/fitness, business, internet, restaurant, spa and bed choice for $109 (the price you see may differ slightly.) My guess would be the Hyatt.

On GTA Hotels.com, I'm seeing the Hyatt for $269 for the Saturday alone, and the Courtyard River North for $199.

If you were to take the HOTWIRE deal and it turns out to be the Hyatt, you could take the GTA Hotels.com Hyatt deal.

HOWEVER, that's a nice Courtyard and a great rate for a VERY busy night if you don't mind moving hotels.

You could certainly try PRICELINE for 10/9, but given what's going on for that night, I think there's definitely going to be limited/expensive inventory for that night.

Please ask any questions before making a purchase.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE or GTA Hotels.com links to start your purchases and searches.

Hotel room booked! I split the stay between the 2 hotels.

On Sat. 10/9 I booked the Courtyard River North for $199 using the GTA Hotels link. This was a first for me using this site. I also did a search on tripadvisor for the Courtyard and all the pop-up links for Expedia, etc. had the Courtyard sold out that night.

For Sun. & Mon. 10/10-10/11 I booked the Hyatt for $109 a night (4* in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area w/fitness, business, internet, restaurant, spa and bed choice) using the HOTWIRE link.

I chose to book the Courtyard on GTA Hotels vs. bidding for a room on PRICELINE because I knew it was only 1/2 mile from the Hyatt. It will be easier to switch hotels since they are in such close proximity.

Thanks again! Now it's time to start planning what to see while there...

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you were able to piece this all together and get a great deal(s) for this trip!

Glad to see you're happy with the results and that the two hotels are within close proximity to each other, making changing properties as easy as possible.

Thank you for sharing your wins with the board and using the HOTWIRE and GTA Hotels links on the board to begin your purchases.

Enjoy your stay(s) and have a great trip!

Additionally, I suggested this particular Courtyard because it's square in the middle of the River North area, which has a wide variety of restaurants - everything from casual (Portillo's hot Dogs) to higher-end (Brasserie Jo) and famed restaurants like the two Rick Bayless restaurants (Frontera Grill and Topolobampo.) Just tons of different options (Star of Siam right near the hotel, Quartino's/Lou Malnati's for pizza nearby, lots more.) The Courtyard is half a mile from the Hyatt, but that's such a nice walk that it won't likely feel like half a mile.

There's also a subway station a couple of blocks North of the hotel, as well as a grocery store (Jewel) a block further North of the subway station.

• 4 weeks later...

Would you walk State St or Michigan Ave from the Courtyard to the Hyatt? After checking out of the Courtyard, I'm thinking of checking my bags until check-in time at the Hyatt and then going across the street and doing the architecture cruise. I'm trying to figure out how much time I will need to make the boat since I need to book my tix in advance.

Also, what is the subway station nearby? I'm trying to decide if I will take a cab into the city or take the blue line to Clark/Lake and then take a cab to the hotel. Thanks!

The Courtyard is on State and Hubbard. If you walk East on Hubbard very briefly, you should see a staircase up to Wabash Ave above. Go up the staircase, do not go further East on Hubbard. Once you are on Wabash, the Lake Shore Athletic Club is across the street. Next to the Athletic Club entrance is a walkway that heads East. Take the walkway, and that leads to a courtyard next to a Walgreens on Michigan Ave. (good place to stop if you want to pick up a snack/drink.). You can then take Michigan Ave. the short remainder to the Hyatt.

The Chicago Architecture Cruise is wonderful, but the Wendella Boats across the street are a very nice alternate, as well.

The Courtyard on Hubbard is a block or two South of the Red Line station on State/Grand. I am not a fan of having to take the "L" from O'Hare, but a cab is pretty pricey in comparison to the $2 and change for the "L" - while it's not the most comfortable trip, it's a large savings over a cab.

The only other alternative is to take a cab from O'Hare to Park Ridge (a very nice burb not that far from O'Hare) and then take the Metra from the Park Ridge train station. However, that takes longer, is a bit more expensive, is more complicated and the Metra trains aren't as frequent and end on the West Side of the downtown area. The Metra trains (metrarail.com), however, are a more comfortable ride than the CTA trains.

If you take the Blue Line from O'Hare, I'd get off downtown at Clark/Lake and walk the remainder of the way to the hotel; it would really only be a few minutes walk.

You can also find city coupons here.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]