Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (NMA-River North) InterContinental

jimaleg
By jimaleg,
in

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

The $80 win was for 9/3-6; this is for 9/4 only, so rates and availability can certainly differ. If you are looking for a 4* in the MP/Loop/GP area only, I think you're probably looking at the $120-125 neighborhood for a win (although rather jumping to that point, I'd try $110, then $115 if that isn't accepted, then $120) The spread between regular rates and discounts on hot.iwre for these dates aren't huge, making me think that hotels may believe enough traffic is incoming for these dates that they don't need to aggressively discount.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

The $80 win was for 9/3-6; this is for 9/4 only, so rates and availability can certainly differ. If you are looking for a 4* in the MP/Loop/GP area only, I think you're probably looking at the $120-125 neighborhood for a win (although rather jumping to that point, I'd try $110, then $115 if that isn't accepted, then $120) The spread between regular rates and discounts on hot.iwre for these dates aren't huge, making me think that hotels may believe enough traffic is incoming for these dates that they don't need to aggressively discount.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

yes i fully understand there's no guarantee of being able to upgrade however usually they try to accommodate their elite level guests...at a minimum I can get a movie or amenity..... I have not tried bidding for a 4* NMA...I may try...any suggestions on how much?...I may move to a 3.5 star too if I don't get a 4 star....I hate to do that though....

I might also wait it out....the weird thing is Rennesance Blackstone has rooms for $199.99 as does Chicago Hilton both 4* properties and my bids are well over 1/2 of the internet rates.....while I understand that hotels usually allocate a block of rooms to PL as wholesale rooms and PL prices remaining inventory based on supply and demand....I just wonder if waiting until closer might open up more supply? Hilton Palmer is sold out...go figure!

I may try...any suggestions on how much?
I may move to a 3.5 star too if I don't get a 4 star....I hate to do that though....
I might also wait it out....

Rather than have us research 3 different scenarios, take a few moments to think about what you want your next move to be, then let us know and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I guess what I was hoping is that you might have insight on whether PL might get additional inventory of the 4*. If the answer is yes or possibly yes..I'd wait until Monday next week. On the RiverNorth Downtown...I was just wondering whether "in general" hotels go cheaper in that area or whether it's basically the same as MPLOOP. The 3.5 star option will be my call. I think my immediate strategy will be to try a 4* in RiverNorth and see if I can get it for $100...I'll wait for any input you have on whether inventory levels increase...talking to hotel personal...PL gets a block of rooms wholesale...so you can have a situation that PL has strong demand but the hotel is at say 80% occupancy...I always thought that the lower the hotel occupancy the better chance that hotel would hit on PL but that doesn't seem to be the case....

If the hotels are under the belief that they are going to get walk-ins for the weekend and/or traffic is coming in at/above expectations in general for this weekend, you're not going to see aggressive discounting. There is always the possibility of new inventory coming online for these dates, but unfortunately, there's also the possibility that rates could go higher if supply gets tighter.

River North-NMA is occasionally similar/cheaper than MP/Loop, but it is often more expensive than the MP-Loop-Grant Park area; there's not a whole lot going on in the Loop after dark, although parts of the Loop - such as the West Loop - can be particularly quiet. During the day, the Loop area is closer to museums and has some shopping, but there are some properties in the Loop that I would say are more conveniently located for business travelers than tourists.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

...talking to hotel personal...PL gets a block of rooms wholesale...

I don't believe this to be the case (on the name your own price side of things... could be different on the 'retail' side)... hotels add/remove deeply discounted inventory to PRICELINE at will, based upon their occupancy levels. As far as i know, PRICELINE doesn't take on hotel inventory.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thanks...that makes perfect sense and is consistent with my experience...right now I'm up to $128 on PL but I haven't added RiverNorth....just staying in MPLOOP. I don't know how this compares with Hotwire but Renn blackstone is 199 on their website plus $10 off for AAA members...I don't think I can go much higher on PL!

I'm also seeing a 4* "Top Secret" listing (which gets good reviews - 4/5 smile faces) in the Loop/Mag Mile/River North area on Travelocity for $137. Given that you've gone up to almost $130 at this point via PRICELINE, that's another alternative versus going any higher w/PRICELINE.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE, PRICELINE, Travelocity or Expedia links to start your purchases and searches.

Please use the site's Support/Travel section links if you do decide to book regular rate.

I'll make a separate thread for this, as well, but I just wanted to reply here since I've been trying for this same night for the past week or so. I finally got a winning priceline bid at the Swissote for $142; I did use the PRICELINE link on your site. I was hoping to not spend this much, but it didn't look like there were any better deals to be found! I was tempted to try the Travelocity Top Secret Offer, but haven't ever done this before. I'd be interested to see what hotel that would be! Good luck!

$142 ouch...plus fees right? That would probably push it up well over $170 right (he should have posted his total with fees)...If he was getting a marriot, hilton or Hyatt...I'd try to replicate his bid maybe shaving a couple bucks. Definately no on the Travelocity secret deal since it says it's a boutique hotel and that definitely means no Hilton, Hyatt or Marriot (right?). The upgrade is worth $50 to me on Marriott and $20 for Hyatt and Hilton (I'm the lowest level tier on the latter 2 sites).

In short, if I can get a AAA discount...the Renn Blackstone Marriot website at $189($210 with Tax) is actually looking decent...it's a slam dunk upgrade and conceirge since I'm Marriott Gold....plus I get points. I'll make a reservation then try a bidding routine this week not to exceed Max $150 with fees...if I get it I'll cancel blackstone......

Is blackstone renn really that great....I don't really like the location but I like being pampered. How's the Conceirge level.....the posts here suggest it's the Waldolf Astoria....

I did another bidding sequence for RiverN and MPLOOP using 2 rebids (total 4 bids) for 4* did a $111, 116, 118 and $120 nothing. Then added another free rebid and and dropped to 3.5 star at $91...nothing... I have today tommorrow and friday afternoon to keep bidding but I don't really want sofatel at $142....I'm just wondering if I should wait....It seems that you need more than Labor Day Sat to hit it...I just wonder it will open up the day before for one day (friday)....I've always had the best luck the day before I was going to stay....has anyone had a similar situation (i.e. failed bids then opening the day before?). Thanks!

PS I think the secret deal is the botique hotel with small rooms (hint hint)

My wife and I made a cancelable reservation at the Raffaello several weeks ago for the nights of Sept. 3rd and 4th. We thought we would then try PL and Hotwire to see if we could beat the price we got. Could not beat the price. I also called the hotel to see if I could get a better rate as the time got closer. It turns out that the hotel is practically sold out and the rates have jumped $80 from what we are paying. Looks like this is a very busy weekend in Chicago.

This time I focused exclusively on River N downtown...started at 4* and $130 then 101 for 3.5 start then $91 for 3 star....nothing! The secret deal is looking pretty good.....

Please let us know if you decide to go with the Travelocity deal. Given what normthe posted, these dates certainly appear to continue to be busy.

Thank you for using the site's Travelocity, PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links.

Got the Intercontinental in river north for 140 plus fees ( for Labor day sat.....When I got to $131 they conterred for 160 and I added a zone and bumped it to 140....and got it for the single Labor day Sat night...went thru the PRICELINE link on this website...Intercontinental is great about upgrading your status if you have status in another program. I really was tempted for the $137 Travelocity deal but after fees this was $10 more and I really wanted river north....if anyone finds out what the top secret hotel is....I'd be really curious...I thought it said boutique but I was mistaken....Travelocity doesn't provide a very good map indicating what LOOP/miracle mile/river North means....I was worried about being at the southern portion of the loop but I'm not even sure what is encompassed by the loop!

Congrats on your success. :)

First-rate deal for this VERY historic (and quite well-located) property. Definitely check out the pool - it was originally built in 1929 and was one of the first public pools built on a high floor, considered an engineering feat at the time.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]