Priceline Hotel: Bidding strategy for a 4* in Jersey City 10/02-10/06...

therichardsons99
By therichardsons99,
in

I'm planning a 4 night trip to NYC from Saturday, 10/02 through Wednesday, 10/06 (checking in on 10/01 and out on 10/06). We are hoping to stay in Jersey City to save money over the higher rates in Manhattan.

Would someone be able to provide me some suggestions on a bidding strategy for Priceline for these dates? We prefer a 4* hotel such as the Westin or the W in Jersey City and/or Hoboken. The lowest I've seen lately is a price of $231/night before taxes on Priceline. I appreciate any/all suggestions!

Thanks!

Obviously I would like to get lodging for less than the before taxes rate of $231/night offer on Priceline and Hotwire for the Westin Jersey City property, I'm just not sure how much less I can realistically expect to pay. I did try last night (unsuccessfully) with a series of bids from $130 to $149 by adding a new zone in that Newark/Jersey City area each time that didn't have a 4 star hotel. I went up by $2 each time until I ran out of options, with my max bid at $149. Should I just use the same strategy tonight and keep going up into the $175 range?

Given that HOTWIRE is showing a 'retail' rate there may not be any 'opaque inventory' available at PRICELINE... but you can certainly try.

I just looked at there dates for a friend of mine :) so i know firsthand that at the moment rates are fairly high.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Are you willing to risk receiving different hotels by SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID? I don't think the rate different is that significant that it will likely help you that much, if at all, but you can try if you'd like. Here is another idea...

This wouldn't be for everyone, but here is another potential option if you don't mind changing hotels twice:

10/2 - HOTWIRE the (likely) Westin Jersey City for $224/nite

10/3 - HOTWIRE the (likely) W Hotel Hoboken for $150/nite

10/4-10/6 HOTWIRE the (likely) Distrikt Hotel for $269/nite

The above averages $228/nite, pretty close to the prices above, but you get 2 nites in NYC instead of needing to commute in. Of course you could try PRICELINE to beat the rates above for 10/2 or 10/3 (can try for 10/4-10/6 although i don't think chances are very good) but the HOTWIRE rates could be your 'worst case scenario' should you get accepted on some nites and not others.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thoughts?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]