TOP SECRET: 4* NYC St Giles The Court

Hopkid
By Hopkid,
in

I've read the very helpful bidding suggestions and attempted to secure a 4* hotel in the UWS for the dates noted. A couple of questions:

- Is this weekend subject to the higher rates usually seen during the holiday period (I'm hoping not as Thanksgiving isn't until the following week).

- In another thread there was mention of the Downtown zone not being a rebid zone but a "live" zone. Can you explain that?

Here is my unsuccessful attempt at bidding earlier today. I know I'm kind of limiting myself by only choosing UWS and 4* (all rebid zones have 3.5* or less properties) and realize that I might have to be open to moving to 3.5* and including other zones. Just kinda thought it would be cool to stay in the UWS this time.

4* UWS: $150

4* UWS + MSG: $160

4* UWS + MSG + UES: $175

4* UWS + MSG + UES + Chelsea: $185

4* UWS + MSG + UES + Chelsea + Brooklyn: $195

Suggestions?

A few things:

I think one concern is UWS; there are very few hotels in this zone, so you're bidding on fewer possibilities. The other note is that - while there is plenty of public transit in NYC, UWS is a good trek from most sights. In the middle of Winter, this becomes more of an issue.

What would be your desired max budget per night, and what other zones would you be interested in?

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I think the issue(s) are that your highest bid is at the low end of the range of an expected win for a 4* hotel anywhere in NYC this time of year... but you're restricting yourself and giving just one or two hotels the chance ot accept your bid.

I think you have a chance at these bid amounts if you include most of midtown in your bidding... but not likely if just bidding UWS.

In another thread there was mention of the Downtown zone not being a rebid zone but a "live" zone. Can you explain that?
I meant it wasn't a re-bid zone... "live" in that it contained hotels at the star level the user was bidding, thus making it possible to win a hotel there (and if the thread i'm remembering the user did in fact win a hotel in the Downtown zone)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you aren't accepted at your max, you could try again at the 3.5* level, but do note that the Millennium UN is rather far East in MTE (that hotel is a 3.5* in MTE) and the Hudson (a 3.5* in CPS) has particularly small rooms. Are either of these possibilities okay?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

If you aren't accepted at your max, you could try again at the 3.5* level, but do note that the Millennium UN is rather far East in MTE (that hotel is a 3.5* in MTE) and the Hudson (a 3.5* in CPS) has particularly small rooms. Are either of these possibilities okay?
Thanks for that. I had seen your warning about these properties in another post. I think the Millenium would be OK as the focus of our visit is seeing a couple of Broadway plays. It's only a mile east of Times Square, easily walkable. I read some reviews on the Hudson and I think I'll pass on the chance that I'll get stuck with that and leave CPS out of my bidding. BTW, I'm also looking at vacation rentals as an option. I rented a studio in the LES last year and thought it was a great experience.
Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.
And don't worry...I always use the Better Bidding links to priceline when I bid. This board is invaluable and I want to make sure to support it in any way I can!

Well I'm still trying to decide if I'll try again or just stick with a vacation rental. However, if I decide to try again, it will probably as follows:

4* TS $165

4* TS + MTW: $175

4* TS + MTW + ESB: $185

4* TS + MTW + ESB + MTE: $195

And maybe I'd give it another go adding MSG (highest rating is 3.5*) before changing my hotel rating to 3.5* and starting over. Thoughts? Maybe go with MTE before ESB or even MTW?

I believe that's the first W property, and was renovated a year or two ago. The W properties are trendy boutiques and that is not everyone's "cup of tea" (see also the W City Center in Chicago, which I liked, but I can see where others might not - and many other W properties get fairly similar reviews.) Reviews for this W on tripadvisor have actually improved over the last several months.

Thank you for using the site's PRICELINE, HOTWIRE or Travelocity links to start your purchases and searches.

So I went with the Top Secret deal on Travelocity and it turned out not to be the W New York but the St Giles The Court on 39th and Lexington. It's rated higher on TripAdvis0r than the W but is a bit further from where we'll be most of the time but not by much. And for $184 per night ($216 with taxes/fees) I think it's a good deal.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. You all provide an invaluable service.

Thank you for sharing your decision and results with the board.

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the amenities shown before your Travelocity purchase.

THANKS!

PS- some good eats in there area:

Jackson Hotel Wyoming - Third Ave at 35th St - HUGE and great burgers

El Rio Grande - between 37th and 38th St on Third Ave (west side of the street, 'off' Third Ave a bit, at the base of the off-white/beige(??) apartment building)... great frozen margaritas... small and pricey at $10/each, but they pack a punch... good chips and salsa too

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Here's what the description of the hotel included when I selected it:

4 star - Top Secret Hotel in New York, Midtown Manhattan, 3 :) traveler rating, room rate: $184, icons indicating non-smoking and high-speed internet.

That's pretty much it. And thanks for the food/drink recs in the area. We'll check them out!

So I went with the Top Secret deal on Travelocity and it turned out not to be the W New York but the St Giles The Court on 39th and Lexington. It's rated higher on TripAdvis0r than the W but is a bit further from where we'll be most of the time but not by much. And for $184 per night ($216 with taxes/fees) I think it's a good deal.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. You all provide an invaluable service.

Very nice deal for this property. This is actually a former W property. There were two properties - W The Court and W Tuscany - that were picked up by the St Giles brand not too long ago.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]