Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* San Francisco (USW) Handlery Union Square

VRONDON
By VRONDON,
in

Hey all,

This is going to be my first visit to San Francisco and also the first time I'm using PRICELINE.

I was told that is probably best for me to stay at USE or USW, since their both equally great for sightseeing and shopping.

I tried to bid in a range from 3* to 4* in USE and USW from $80 to 110$ but so far all my bids were rejected. Any tips of how should I go about it? Split dates? Lower star ratings? Change neighborhoods?

Thanks guys. Great forum.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

The first 2 nites appear to be your 'difficult' dates and you may be successful at prices you have already bid for the last 3 nites of your stay... but that still leaves the first 2 nites which are extremely expensive with rates mostly starting in the high-$200's and going up rapidly from there. If you were able to find success for your last 3 nites... what would be your gameplan for the first 2 nites?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your reply!

It seems that the option would be separating those first 2 nites, right?

There's no way I'm paying $200 for a night. If I lower to a 2* in those areas, would still be clean and safe to stay? How much should I bid for a 2* in USW, USE and Embarcadero for those first 2 nites?

It seems that the option would be separating those first 2 nites, right?
Right, but before doing so, you better have a plan for what you're going to do for those first two nites. As noted above, they're crazy expensive.
If I lower to a 2* in those areas, would still be clean and safe to stay?
I'm with slruud in that (whenver possible) i won't bid for a 2* hotel... some may be great value and suit my (or your) need and pass your 'clean test'... but there may be some which do not, and with PRICELINE and HOTWIRE you don't get to choose which type you will get :) If i was going to go with a low rated property i would try and book thru a non-opaque source where i can at least know i'm getting one of the better ones at that star rating.

Another option is to look towards staying by the airport (then take the hotel shuttle to the airport and BART to Downtown)... not an ideal scenario but possibly 'do-able' for 2 days if rates at the airport are significantly less then Downtown. (of course i'd have to convince my wife that it was do-able first :) ) HOTWIRE has the Best Western Grosvenor Airport Hotel for $119/nite (N. SFO Airport - Oyster Point zone) which appears to be refundable until the day before your arrival (always check the terms yourself!) and perhaps you could use this a back-up?

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Here's what I did tonight.

I'm trying to solve those first 2 expensive nites.

Check in - 09/22/10

Check out - 09/24/10

3*

USE - $100 - rejected

3*

USE + USW - $105 - rejected

3*

USE + USW + Marina - $110 - rejected

3*

USE + USW + Marina + Embarcadero - $115 - rejected

I wouldn't mind paying til $130 for those first two nites for a 3*....

I wouldn't mind paying til $130 for those first two nites for a 3*....
With hotel direct prices starting at ~$300/nite, and even airport hotels in the high $200's, i don't think you're close.

VRONDON

Thank you for sharing your result with the board!

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the amenities shown before your purchase... you can still view this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE and PRICELINE links to start future purchases.

Yellowdog.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]