Priceline Hotel: 3* NYC (Long Island City) Fairfield Inn

Ronniemacd
By Ronniemacd,
in

I have been trying for the last few days for a 2* in Manhattan for 4 nights...just about anywhere except for UES, UWS and DSF.....I thought I might be able to get something for $150 is that reasonable? It seems that late October is a very expensive time, why is that time so high? Is it because I want 4 nights.....should I try a split?

Thanks

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

NYC is expensive in general, although the off-season is generally the late Winter (too cold) and the Summer (too hot.) Fall weather is "just right", and often leads to increased traffic and more conventions/events. September to Mid-December is the most expensive period of the year. Bidding under 2.5* in NYC is generally not recommended, as you may run into issues with quality or other - such as shared bathrooms. What would be your desired max budget per night?

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I plan on spending most of my time in midtown Manhattan so I was hoping for $150 night, and I really don't mind staying in NJ for $100 or less and commuting to Penn its too easy, I did that before, but this time I am flying in/out of JFK so going to NJ is more difficult. I see some hotels cheap around Long Island City, Are they ok? Is it safe there? I like staying in Manhattan until midnight or so and I was worried about having to take the Subway back to Long Island City late. I know its only a 5-10 minute ride but then I would need to walk to the hotel there. I have been reading that the JFK airport area is really bad too...kinda far to get to Manhattan and back a few times a day.

Thanks

...the off-season is generally the late Winter (too cold) and the Summer (too hot.) Fall weather is "just right"
Goldilocks pricing :)

We don't see much 2* bidding in NYC (with good reason, imo) so hard to say if $150 is reasonable, but my guess is that it won't likely be enough for Midtown... have you already bid this high on your previous bids?

I've never been a fan of the Queens/Brooklyn areas as they just feel a bit dirty to me... i would sooner include Downtown in my bidding before i chose to stay outside of the city. Even if you wanted to stay in NJ i don't think the Jersey City waterfront hotels would be available within your current budget (you'd like have to look to stay by Rte 1&9, not recommend, or in the Secaucus area, which is do-able but commuting by bus (and the bus often stops running ~1am)

HOTWIRE does have what appears to be the Holiday Inn Express (Union St) for $125/nite and is near the R subway line, but i don't know the area well enough to comment on safety issues late at nite.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll try to assist further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have been doing a lot of research using Trip Advisor, it seems that Long Island City is my best bet....you can get something nice for under $100. Subway is close to all hotels for daytime travel and only 5-10 minutes to midtown. In the night you can take a cab from midtown for $10-$15, if your worried about the quality of the area. This makes more sense then heading downtown and paying twice that price. I am a lot closer to midtown from LIC.

I am going to try Priceline for LIC, I'll use your PRICELINE link.

Thanks

I got the Fairfield Inn 2* in LIC for $80. Reviews on this Hotel seem ok, only drawback is using the 24 hour Shuttle to the Subway...likely a little safer than walking.

I tried for the Comfort Inn 2.5* cause it was closer to the Subway but had no luck I bid up to $115 that was my max, then I dropped to 2*.

I used your PRICELINE link.

Thanks

Ron

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]