Priceline Hotel: Looking for Marriott Marquis for Oct 15-18

myrabee
By myrabee,
in

My 3 sisters and I wanted to take a trip to NYC and needed 2 rooms at Marriott Marquis. I noticed there are 9 other 3.5* hotels in the theatre district - how can you help to not get them, and just the Marriott?

I am a little confused about the stragegy of getting the exact hotel you want, and how probable that would be.

If you know a way to do it, I'm all ears. We have plenty of time, so I just wanted to start getting my stragegy down - any help would be apreaciated.

Love you site.

Myra

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You can't bid for a specific hotel when using PRICELINE... the deep discounts you often see are in exchange for being flexible in the hotel you will receive.

Is the Marriott the only hotel you're willing to accept?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I realized this, I was more curious if that Marriott was a hotel that often accepted bids more often as opposed to the others. Kina curious what my chances are. (based on price, and which day I put the bid in)

I have Platinum Elite Status at Marriotts, so it means free food and entry to the concierge lounge - but hey, If I can get a 3.5* - 4* for under $200, I really dont give a hoot about all that.

So no, it really doesn't matter. Was curious if there was a stragegy that would improve my chances of getting it, though.

Thanks your the best.

Myra

There isn't any strategy that will increase your chances of this property over another. However, i'll add that the Marriott has not been reported to the board in nearly 3 months, so i would say that this wouldn't be the most expected outcome... but we see hotels appear/disappear/reappear all the time, so no telling what you may likely get.

Based upon current prices $200 may not be enough for a 3.5* or better hotel for these dates, but if you want to give it a try...

-are you willing to pay more for a 4* vs. a 3.5* OR is the goal the least expensive 3.5* or better for this stay?

-which zone(s) are you willing to accept?

-is $200 your maximum bid at this point in time?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let u know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

First I want to greatly thank you for your time! How nice is it to have this kind of experience on your side!

We are 4 sisters around 50 years old - we are not necessarily strapped for cash, but of course love a good value. As it stands, we have a reservation for 3 nights 2 rooms at the Marquis for $399 per night per room.

We wanted to stay in/near Times Square/Theatre due to the closeness to the shows, etc., but that would even be negotiable for the right property. So yes, I think the others would agree that a 4* for say around $250 would work well. Are the 4* in Times Square good ones to go for, or would a different district be more upscale (that is close by)? And what sort of prices can you expect to pay? Is bidding on PRICELINE cheaper than going for HOTWIRE?

Let me research your site a bit more, but if anything comes to your mind, (exceptional deal) let me know!!

Thanks again-

Myra

A few thoughts:

1. PRICELINE is generally cheaper (slightly-to-moderately, it varies), but one has to be more flexible with which hotel they get. HOTWIRE is moderately more expensive, but one can make an educated guess as to where they are staying.

2. Times Square is generally the most expensive zone hotel-wise in the city. Other zones not far away (MTE, MTW) are generally at least somewhat cheaper. Other nearby zones have sights of their own and are less crowded and often a bit easier to get around as a result. For example, if I were going to take a trip to NYC, I'd stay in MTE or one of the other zones aside from Times Square.

3. Other areas would not necessarily offer more upscale hotels; they would offer the same range and variety of hotels as TS.

4. In terms of regular rates on Expedia, I'm seeing more appealing values in TS (Westin Times Square, $332) and nearby (Sofitel, $355) as well as others: (a suite at the London is $405, the same price as a regular room, Expedia), Kimberly ($344 for a 1BR suite), Affinia 50 ($353, Expedia), Affinia Dumont ($332, Expedia) and others. Some may be non-refundable, be sure to check the fine print. Additionally, coupon code RELAX10 may work for $10 off per night, although if you book 2 rooms at once, the $10 off per night will only be taken off one room, not both. The Renaissance 57 is another option on Expedia for $299 per night. Overall, the Marriott Marquis is supposed to be a very nice property, but I'm seeing very nice properties in TS (Westin) and elsewhere (Renaissance 57) for less or considerably less - and there's a lot of compelling options for less than the $399 for the Marriott.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE or Expedia links to start your purchases and searches.

I'd agree with the foregoing comments. We recently stayed in Midtown East at the Hilton Doubletree. With cabs only about $5-$6 to the theater district, our $159/night room was more than adequate and a nice area of town. The Waldorf Astoria also had rooms in the $275+/night range in the same area. Times Square can be so crowded afternoon and evening you can hardly walk around easily, but that may be a plus for some, a minus for others. Good luck on your search!

I am going to bid on PRICELINE when the time gets closer - I totally understand the concept of adding zones w/ star levels that don’t exist in that zone, etc - the problem I am having is a technical one - I used the advice of going to PRICELINE to look at the different zones and clicking on each one to determine what star levels were present in each one -question - Do you do this in the area that gives set prices without naming your own price? When I go to the name your own price section, I need so much info dates, bidding price, etc, and you still dont get anywhere with what star level is in each zone.....

So is it the same list for both sections of Priceline, the name your price, and the discounted rate area?

Thanks for all the help!!

Myra

Hotels one gets by bidding are not necessarily on the retail side of PRICELINE, and vice versa.

To do process to determine what hotels are available for bidding at what star level, you have to be on the "name your own price" side of PRICELINE (not the retail side where there are the set prices). You don't have to put in any money in the bid "box" while checking and unchecking the star levels. For that matter, you don't have to put in dates either. Click on the blue PRICELINE above without anything else. Then on the next screen just add "nyc" and you will get to where you can do the star level check process.

Romelle

OK, what is the next step - this is where I get lost - does it have something to do with the map, or do you go to a different screen?

Nope, you are at the right spot for figuring out free rebid zones.

Assuming you've found your way to this screen - the one with map of all the NYC bidding zones on right. A list of available bidding zones on left, with star levels below them.

Note the "buttons" in front of the star levels. Before you do anything, they are all GREY. Now, one at a time, check the individual zones. When you check Brooklyn, the all the buttons will turn WHITE, EXCEPT for the 4* one. That means there aren't any 4* hotels (or higher) in Brooklyn for bidding purposes right now so it can be considered a "free rebid zone" at the 4* level.

Uncheck each area before you go on to the next one. That means to just hit the check mark again and it will go away. Then check the next one.

Make a side list (paper and pencil) of the free rebid ones. You should get 6.

Double check it all over again, by checking all the zones you thing are free rebid ones all at once. The 4* button should not go from gray to white.

With your list in hand, you can now enter your dates and the first zone you'd like and an amount. If it gets rejected, you can then add another zone you'd like and a little higher bid. When you run out of zones you like, you can start adding your free ones (one at a time) and still keep inching up your bid (even just $1 if you like). All in the same bidding session in the same 24 hour period.

If you get a "counter-offer" along the lines of " .... if you increase your bid $xx right now, you will be successful", stick with your strategy and ignore it. All it means is you are getting close.

Romelle

There is NO way to guarantee two beds with Priceline. One can make a request after getting a specific hotel, but that is it. And the hotel may or may not grant it. New York apparently has smaller rooms and more rooms with just one bed than in many other locations (not speaking from experience here, but I've read it often).

2 rooms for 3 nights probably isn't an issue with either HOTWIRE or PRICELINE.

As to when to "make your move", there is always a lot of discussion about this. There is a long thread in the FAQs on the subject. Speaking just for myself, I like to get a general idea of what going rates are, and then whenever I see a good deal just grab it. And not look back. If rates are running really high, it can be a good idea to find a cancelable back-up and then continue bidding until the last minute.

I don't know about getting two beds via HOTWIRE. I know people use it when they want space for a 3rd or 4th person. I hope someone else will answer this. You might browse the New York HOTWIRE postings and hotel reviews and see if it is discussed. The thing going for you with Hotwire though is that you can get a pretty good guess as to the hotel before hand. And you can also put in for 3 people even if you are going to only be two. This tends to cost a little more, but virtually insures two beds.

Romelle

HOTWIRE guarantees sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search, so by searching for more than double occupancy you can ensure separate beds... although the second 'bed' could be a pulllout sofabed, rollaway, murphy bed, etc.

I do know of one issue recently there the user was told that a king bed is sufficient for triple occupancy... i've never considered a King bed for 3 people to be "industry standard", but there is one report of HOTWIRE taking this stance so just something to be aware of if you go this route.

However, note that rates will often increase, and especially in NYC the increase can be substantial, when searching for more than double occupancy in a room.

• 1 month later...

Just an update - a few weeks back, I tried bidding and stopped at $220. (No win) I was a little nervous about not having enough beds, so I quit there. I will definatly use this service, and the provided link in the future, when it is just my husband and I - and I am not responsible for what we get with my 3 sisters - especailly in NYC for a special weekend. We are keeping our Marriott Marquis res. since I have access to the concergie lounge, a definate bonus.

Thank you all for your help!

Myra

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]