Priceline Hotel: 3* Philadelphia (Downtown) Holiday Inn Historic District

franknstein
By franknstein,
in

In the pinned thread it says something like, "go to a PRICELINE page and enter a zone (the one you're interested in) then go to the next page as if you were going to enter a zone..." - huh? If I just entered a zone, why would I be going to the next page to enter a zone again? What am I missing. I'm trying to get a 3* in Philly (downtown). I bid $55 for 3* only in downtown and was rejected. Your list says there are no 2 1/2* or below hotels in downtown, so I tried again picking 2 1/2* at $58 and was rejected again. Thought I'd try again at 2* but started to get nervous and checked the pinned thread noted above and now I'm wondering how to figure out if there REALLY are no 2 1/2* or below in downtown Philly.

So if go to Priceline and do the "name your own rate" thing it wants me to select zone, stars and name price, and the next screen is asking for name/address/cc#, etc. So where/how do I figure out what star ratings are really available in downtown Philly please?

thanks!

If I go to the PRICELINE link I end up on Priceline's home page and I click "HOTEL" where I can then enter CITY, DATES, QTY of ROOMs, so I enter Philly, Sep 18-19, 1 room and click SEARCH NOW. It gives me a list of hotels and prices. So then I click the BEST DEAL tab (name your own price) and it brings up another page w/ a map of Philly and check boxes available to select STEP 1 - CHOOSE WHERE TO STAY (zones) and STEP 2 - CHOOSE THE STAR LEVEL FOR YOUR HOTEL (note - all on the same page). If I then select DOWNTOWN PHILADELPHIA it immediately lights up ALL star levels in the section below (STEP 2). If, however, I would select UNIVERSITY AREA then only 2 1/2* - 3 1/2* are highlighted in STEP 2. NOTE - at no time have I "proceeded to the next page" because STEP 3 (still on the same page) asks for my bid and below that I'm to enter my name. Now, the Better Bidding hotel list for Philly only lists 3* and above hotels. So is the Better Bidding list incomplete, is Priceline lying about the available star levels in that zone, or am I just on the wrong page all together???

Thanks!

You're doing right, but here is some clarification...

I would select UNIVERSITY AREA then only 2 1/2* - 3 1/2* are highlighted in STEP 2.
Correct... so if you're bidding for 4* hotel you know that you can 'safely' add this zone and not receive a hotel here as all hotels are below the minimum threshold (4 stars) that you have chosen.
So is the Better Bidding list incomplete, is Priceline lying about the available star levels in that zone, or am I just on the wrong page all together???
The list is incomplete, and it always will be, as new hotels are added all the time and hotels are upgraded/downgraded frequently... we won't know of any new additions or changes until they're reported to the board. This is why you can't use the hotel lists to determine your re-bid zones and need to use the approach you're using above (from Priceline Re-Bidding Explained) Also, see the comments at the top of the Priceline Hotel List.

To "check" yourself, you have FIVE re-bid zones when bidding 4* in the Philadelphia area... see if you can now determine them and confirm them with the board; if not we'll break it down further for you.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok, so I tried 3* at $65 - no go.

I tried 2 1/2* at $75 - no go.

I tried 2* at $85 - no go.

I'm too nervous to pick 1* for fear it's a cardboard box on the street... I'll try again tomorrow I guess. We're going up there for a half-marathon my wife is running, and I think everything's booked up. Do the hotels just stop accepting Priceline if they're expecting big crowds? Would make sense...

Thanks.

I'm too nervous to pick 1* for fear it's a cardboard box on the street... I'll try again tomorrow I guess. We're going up there for a half-marathon my wife is running, and I think everything's booked up. Do the hotels just stop accepting Priceline if they're expecting big crowds? Would make sense...

Thanks.

You may want to try HOTWIRE to see what the rates are for your dates of travel. If hotels can fill rooms using conventional means of booking, you're right, they don't need PRICELINE.

I don't recommend bidding like this... you're raising your bid and lowering your star rating at the same time. See this thread for more details: If You Lower Your Star Rating Then Lower Your Bid Price.

If you have re-bid zones why aren't you using them?

What is the best price you're able to find at an acceptable hotel thru conventional booking channels?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

In previous days I'd started at 3 1/2* for $55 and got as far as $85 for 2 1/2* yesterday and still no takers (everything's booked for a marathon). Finally today tried 4* for $85, 3 1/2* for $90, and 3* for $95. Realize it's a little backwards bidding but it was time to win something! I'm not worried about $5 here or there, and it's still just a little more than half price compared to their best rate online. And of course I used the PRICELINE link from here.

Thanks for the help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]