Priceline Hotel: Bid help: 4* Downtown PIT 8/18 bid denied at $250

jsundy29
By jsundy29,
in

Having an extremely difficult time securing a room downtown for Wednesday, August 18.

Tried a 4 * and went as high as $250 with no success.

Went down to a 3 * and bid as high as $175. Nothing.

This has to be because of the Paul McCartney concert at the new Concol Energy Center.

Any advice?

I do have a refundable room reservation booked as a back up plan, but was hoping to spend less using Priceline.

Thank you.

I'm seeing some very high rates for some downtown Pittsburgh properties for this date; while the concert is certainly driving prices to some degree, I'm guessing there may be something else going on (convention?) I definitely wouldn't go any higher in bidding though, as regular rates (Omni at $269, Westin at $279) are not much higher, making me think that the inventory simply isn't there, unfortunately.

HOTWIRE does have a 3* in the Downtown area for $104 w/Complimentary Breakfast, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, which would likely be the Holiday Inn Express Southside. While not what you were trying for, would that hotel work for one night?

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Well, the Hampton Inn Downtown is showing at $186 on Expedia.

If you have tried 3* up to $179, you could start lower and try 2.5*, although no properties at that level have been reported to the board (and there may be properties in this zone just over the river.)

Or you could grab the Westin for $279 (which would appear to be refundable, please do DEFINITELY double check) via Expedia and wait it out to see if cheaper rates appear on PRICELINE or HOTWIRE; if not, at least you are set with something. The Westin has availability on Expedia, but not on the hotel website.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE or Expedia links to start your purchases and searches.

AaronJB, Thanks again.

Great minds think alike!

My backup booking is with the Hampton Inn! I went directly through their site for $197 AAA rate. This one is totally refundable.

I've stayed at this property before and it's very nice. Free parking, free breakfast and not a terrible walk to the city.

I'm definitely willing to try a 3* downtown again, but a little concerned about getting the Sheraton Station Square. I don't care for that property.

If you bid up to $175 w/o success for a 3*, I would think getting a bid accepted at the 3.5* level at $100 or under would be unlikely.

Unfortunately, whatever is going on in the city seems to be continuing to drive the prices higher - the 3* seen yesterday at $104 on HOTWIRE is now $145.

Keep checking and do bump (reply to) this thread with any updates or questions.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]