FLL Ft Lauderdale Economy Hertz

jhunter23
By jhunter23,
in

Hi-

Trying to find a good deal on a car in FLL. We are arriving at 10 PM on 8/19, and fly back out at about 8 PM on 8/24. We are spending our first 3 nights in Miami, and the last 2 nights in the Keys.

When I search for FLL cars for the whole trip, I see $37.95 per day on hotwire, but if I change the return date to 8/23 at 10 PM, I get $20.95 per day. So, adding the last day on is making it go up about $17 a day.

Any advice for a way to get around this, or find a car for about $20 a day?

Thanks!

Don't know if this will help but I'm looking for a car rental in August at FLL too. It seems that if you pick up and return late night vs picking up the morning after the first late night the rate goes up. Maybe based on less people picking cars up late at night. Strange. I think I am going to try priceline for a lower rate.

Hi,

I work at FLL Airport.

Price check ALL the companies you can find. Why?

At FLL, ALL the car rental companies (except ACE) are located in the "Car Rental Center" at the airport which means whether you rent from the cheapest or the most expensive, you pick-up and return your car at the same exact place. ACE rent-a-car is the only one that is "off-airport".

Other than the biggies, try Royal and Continental Rent a Car. They are also both in the Car Rental Center. About 10 companies total are there.

Good luck.

Hal

actraveler

Trying to find a good deal on a car in FLL. We are arriving at 10 PM on 8/19, and fly back out at about 8 PM on 8/24. We are spending our first 3 nights in Miami, and the last 2 nights in the Keys.

When I search for FLL cars for the whole trip, I see $37.95 per day on hotwire, but if I change the return date to 8/23 at 10 PM, I get $20.95 per day. So, adding the last day on is making it go up about $17 a day.

Do you have your hotel rooms yet... could you flip the trip to head to Key West first, then return the car early on the 23rd?

Another other option is to purchase the car until the 23rd, and then see how much the extra day charge is if you don't return the car ontime (ie- one day late)... seems like as long as it's less then ~$85 you would come out ahead. HOWEVER, note that this is somewhat risky as you're then held hostage to the rental company and whatever they decide the going rate for the extra day should be.

Lastly, i'd look at conventional bookings to see the cost of 2 one-way rentals... FLL-->Key West and then another one-way rental Key West-->FLL. If this is feasible, Florida one of the only states that this could likely be done as they often don't charge too heavily for one-way rentals.

Don't know if this will help but I'm looking for a car rental in August at FLL too. It seems that if you pick up and return late night vs picking up the morning after the first late night the rate goes up. Maybe based on less people picking cars up late at night. Strange.
My guess is that this may have something more to do with your particular dates or the change of time putting you into a different rental code time period (ie- going from daily rate to weekly rate). If you'd like help with this rental please start a NEW TOPIC for your own trip.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

As an update, I was able to get a car at $11.95 a day through HOTWIRE, so for 5 days, $111 including tax. I can't wait to show off my Chevy Aveo on Ocean Dr!

Prices were 3x that for weeks, so I was going to do the trick of renting a car via the UK Expedia site, which you get a nice pick up from exchange rate, plus gas and insurance included (I think this was about $170).

I should have PRICELINE'd it, probably would have been cheaper. But I got so excited, I think I pee'd myself a little.

Thanks!

Given the much higher prices you were seeing i wouldn't worry too much if you left a few dollars on the table... i'd simply be happy rates came down substantially for this rental.

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the car class and rental company you were awarded so we can add this information to the topic title.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]