trying to go home!

sunshin3
By sunshin3,
in

Hello,

I remember 2 years ago I found a ticket from Boise to Richmond for less than $200 round trip. I didn't use the bidder, it just popped up under retail. If I remember correctly, it was about a week before I left. That was a great deal considering it's usually at least twice that to go home.

I've been looking at the Name Your Price with PL, but they haven't accepted any of my offers. I would like to go for less than $400. Any tips that you guys can give me about it? I'm not sure if I should check every day or wait until the last minute, or wait until the week before like I did 2 years ago. I checked yesterday and submitted 3 bids, then today it said I couldn't, but maybe that's because I didn't wait 24 hours? I'm not sure.

I am trying to go Aug 9 - 23, and it's round trip.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Sunny

Airfare is up pretty generally. If you look at Aug 10 as a departure, it is a little less expensive than Aug 9.

Is this a trip you are going to do no matter what, or only if the price is right?

If you are going to do it no matter what, it probably would be a good idea to just go ahead and buy it now. Last minute retail tickets usually get more expensive. I can see a United ticket (again, Aug 10) for $493, and a Delta ticket for $450.

On the other hand, if you are only going to go if you get a good rate it makes sense to try your bidding every day up until the last possible minute.

The 24 hour clock can't be negotiated with. No exceptions. And sometimes, if you try before it is up, you reset it and have to wait a new 24 hours. Keep a side log of when you are finished with a bidding session, and don't start a new one until the full time has passed.

I'm assuming you mean Richmond, VA rather than some of the other options?

Romelle

Yes it's a trip I will go on no matter what, and it looks like $450 might be what I have to pay. Could be worse I suppose. Yes, it's Richmond VA. I am going home for 2 weeks before fall semester starts and I've been taking summer school all summer. August 10th would be just fine, I just wanted to go for as long as I could after August 8 and before August 23 because I start school again the 24th. I will keep checking the name-your-own price every day.

I appreciate all the help! :)

What was the last bid you have made? Is $450 still the best rate thru traditional booking sources??

How much would you need to save vs. a traditional booking given you don't get to choose the flight times, layover cities, length of layover, etc.? Each person would answer this differently, but i don't think $14 would be worth it, imo.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]