Priceline Hotel: 4* USE/Embarcadero Westin St. Francis

antlori
By antlori,
in

Need advice on bidding on S.F. hotel on Priceline. I saw postings on Fodors that people were getting Union Square East/Embarcadero 4* hotels for $45 to $58 per night (e.g. Park Hyatt, Westin St. Francis). This is exactly what I want for 2 nights June 20 & 21. I tried starting at $55 with just USE, then added FW and rebid at $60, then added SF Airport and rebid at $64 but still not accepted. Could this be because I'm looking for Fri/Sat? I'm thinking of adding Boutique to the 4* USE. What would you suggest?

I believe weekend rates would traditionally be cheaper on the weekend, not more expensive (and a check for one date an random confirmed the above, but i could have picked a bad date to test the theory).

As per THIS POST from just a few days ago, bidding the same zone and for a weekend date, $65 was a successful bid, so bidding $64 may have left you just a little short. I compared the hotel's website rate for the 'win' at $65 with the rates for your dates, and they are the same, so when you have the opportunity to bid again, i would at least include $65 somewhere in my round of bidding (it doesn't have to start at that level if you have re-bids, but if you're willing to spend at least that much, i would make sure that i bid accordingly to include a $65 bid in the process).

Of course, still no guarantees, but as of now my best guess is that your $64 bid may have missed by $1. As well, i have heard of $65 bids rejected and $66 bids accepted in this zone, so if rejected at $65 for some reason, i wouldn't be raising my subsequent bids by too much after that point (certainly not $5 increments).

Let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Odd that you couldn't get a hotel for $64 for those dates. Expedia is showing relatively low rates for the Hyatts on that weekend (although you can't count on Expedia: often times the $47 Hyatt Regency bid fails when Expedia has it for just $117, and then the bid is accepted when Expedia wants $225 or more...) Also, Hotwire has a $64 rate for a 3* for that weekend - and PL always beats Hotwire in SF! But then you bid 4* and that $64 3* Hotwire hotel might be a PL Boutique.

I'd say try again in a few days, and if still rejected, consider going with Hotwire. I believe the 3* for $64 in the Embaracadero zone on Hotwire could be the Harbor Court, and the 3.5* for $69 could be the Hyatt Regency.

Thanks for the advice. I went back and tried $61, then $64 again and still not accepted. Then I tried $65 and got the Westin St. Francis. I can't believe it was rejecting for the sake of $1! It was a little more than I expected but still better than the 4* on Hotwire for $97 and the $129 my friends are paying at the Palace that same weekend.

Glad if finally worked out for you and that we were able to help!

It's funny how you can be off by $15 and Priceline will give you a counter-offer, yet you can be $1 away and have them not say a word!

Look forward to your review when you return to see how you feel you are treated.

Have a great trip.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]