Priceline Hotel: Paris Bidding Assistance Needed

allen074
By allen074,
in

Hi - I need some assistance on what to bid for in Paris from 6/26 - 6/28 (taking eurostar from london)

Would like a 5 star -- not sure which area to stay in but priceline has this zone only as 5*

Champs Elysees - Opera Quarter West

Basically all others are free re-bids...

Thanks in advance!

I would select Opera West only, and start @ $140 for a 5*, increasing $5 each re-bid, adding one zone at a time. This would give you bids up to $170.....which may or may not end up not being enough. If you are adamant in getting a hotel during your first bid session, and not waiting 72 hrs, you may want to increase by $8-$10 each time.

I will be staying at the 4* Le Meridien Montparnasse approximately 3 weeks from now....this was won @ $113/night. ($110 was rejected).

I used to live in Paris, and the areas I am most comfortable staying in are Opera West/St Germain/Eiffel Tower. La Defense is more of a business district (and outside of the main tourist areas), thus its hotels tend to be a little cheaper on weekends. Some people also advise they like the 4* Novotel Les Halles, but the surrounding area can be a little seedy at night.

At the 4* level, Batignoles is your only free re-bid.

I would start @ $100 or $105 with your preferred zone, and add $3 to $8 per bid each time it is necessary to add a zone. Also, approximately a third of the 4* hotels are either just inside or outside the Peripherique (the highway that circles the city). Some people complain about this as they have to walk "two blocks" to the metro, but in reallity it is not that big of a deal. It is luck of the draw however, that will decide how close you are to the city center. Even if you get one towards the edge of the zone maps, most attractions can be reached within 45 minutes by metro.

I wouldn't bid for the Eiffel Tower zone, because it might give you a hotel that is actually outside Paris (Sofitel Porte de Sevres).

In fact, I'm not sure I would bid at all given your price range and that you are a solo traveler. You said on the other thread that you want to be in a happening area - I would suggest looking for a hotel in the Marais, Latin Quarter or Bastille. Hotels in these areas don't generally show up on Priceline - and not at the 4* level for sure.

The one exception is for a 4* bid in the Opera Quarter East zone - which will likely give you the Novotel Les Halles. This is close to the Marais, and it's practically in the center of Paris.

I did use Priceline last year for Paris for a 4* because I wanted to be sure of a nicely air-conditioned room. The Le Meridien Montparnasse is a very nice hotel and pretty convenient. But given what you stated, you might prefer a hotel in a more action-packed area.

In fact, I'm not sure I would bid at all given your price range and that you are a solo traveler. You said on the other thread that you want to be in a happening area - I would suggest looking for a hotel in the Marais, Latin Quarter or Bastille. Hotels in these areas don't generally show up on Priceline - and not at the 4* level for sure.

Hi - can you explain what you mean by "given your price..." -- do you mean if i would pay more then use priceline?

I am confused :)

Thanks,

Allen

If you are travelling alone, I agree with WillTravel about the Eiffel Zone...You could very well end up with the Sofitel - Pte de Sevres. The hotel is on the outside of the Peripherique and a decent walk to the metro @ Place Balard. The Eiffel Tower Zone mainly comprises the 15th district, and parts of the 6th, 7th, and 14th....generally some of the quieter neighborhoods of Paris.

I've also used the following link for hotels in Paris:

http://www.hotels-paris-hotels-france.com/

You can sometimes find some 3* hotels on this site at some pretty decent prices. These tend to be independently owned hotels that have a much more European flair. The homepage has a map that shows the various districts of Paris. To help determine which area a hotel is located in, use the last 2 digits of the hotel's zip code. All Paris zipcodes are numbered between 75001 and 75020. Example: if a hotel's zip code is 75008, the 08 means it is in the 8th district, also known as the the "Elysee" district. This neigborhood is bordered by the Arc de Triomphe on the West, and the Place de la Concorde on the East, and includes the Avenue des Champs Elysees, easily the most well known street in Paris.

Other well known attractions include:

The Louvre, Pont Neuf (1st)

La Bourse (Stock Exchange) (2nd)

Notre Dame (4th)

Pantheon, Sorbonne (5th)

Luxembourg Gardens, St Germain des Pres (6th)

The Eiffel Tour, Invalides (7th)

The Palais Garnier Opera House (9th)

Gare du Nord (10th)....I mentioned this, as if I remerber correctly you mentioned you will be taking the train London-Paris....This is the station for the Eurostar.

Place de la Republique, (11th)

Opera Bastille, Place de la Bastille (12th)

Montparnasse (14th)

Parc des Princes, Roland Garros Stadiums, Bois de Boulogne, Radio France Headquarters (16th)

Palais des Congress (17th)

Pigalle, Sacre Coeur (18th)

Pere Lachaise Cemetary (20th)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]