Timing of your bidding - does it matter?

DebbieV76
By DebbieV76,
in

New to all this, so please forgive if this is common knowledge.

Does the day of the week and time of day you are bidding matter?

Last Friday before lunch, I was exploring a one night stay (for 8/11/10) at a 2.5* hotel near the Cleveland airport using the name your own price option. The average price shown was $69. Since I had never done this before, I decided to go home and go through the process with my hubby in tow. When I tried again, the average price had jumped to $94 for the same zone, same date...

I was wondering if it had anything to do with time of day, and that we were now officially in "the weekend." This afternoon it is $76. Not as low as that early Friday average... but I'm still wondering how often these averages change that affect where I would start with my bidding.

Thanks in advance for any insights you might be able to give! :)

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

Inventory and rates may change, but there is not a predictable pattern that can be followed in terms of day of the week. Rates overall can vary significantly from day-to-day, especially in larger markets. In terms of where to start bidding, it's really a case-by-case situation.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

New to all this, so please forgive if this is common knowledge.

Does the day of the week and time of day you are bidding matter?

Last Friday before lunch, I was exploring a one night stay (for 8/11/10) at a 2.5* hotel near the Cleveland airport using the name your own price option. The average price shown was $69. Since I had never done this before, I decided to go home and go through the process with my hubby in tow. When I tried again, the average price had jumped to $94 for the same zone, same date...

I was wondering if it had anything to do with time of day, and that we were now officially in "the weekend." This afternoon it is $76. Not as low as that early Friday average... but I'm still wondering how often these averages change that affect where I would start with my bidding.

Thanks in advance for any insights you might be able to give! :)

Another thing you may not realize, if you're completely new:

That 'average price' is the off-the-rack price, or avg. of Expedia, Travelocity, etc.

The Priceline price is going to be much lower than that for a 2 1/2 * at Hopkins International. (On Hotwire I see one for $38, and a 3* for $45.)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]