Priceline Hotel: 2* State College (North) Fairfield Inn

Lyn1Lyn
By Lyn1Lyn,
in

Hi all!! I am new to this board as of today and I am contemplating using Priceline to book a hotel in State college for 8/2-8/6. I already have a hotel room reserved at the Comfort Suites for $79/night but would like to find something for significantly less. I was going to bid on a 3* in South but I am really afraid that I will end up with the Atherton.. ( and their reviews really suck!!) instead of one of the other 2 hotels in that area. My other option is a 2* in North which would be okay, but I am dying to stay at a 3*... What should I do? Is there a method to the madness? :)

Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

When you bid on PRICELINE you must be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you select.

I do see what i believe to be the Hampton Inn for about the same price as you're paying for the Comfort Suites... i'm not familiar with each property so don't know if this would be a beneficial upgrade or how this would work for your plans.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed, and if you'd like to bid on PRICELINE, let us know your maximum bid for this stay.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

HiI was going to bid on a 3* in South but I am really afraid that I will end up with the Atherton.. ( and their reviews really suck!!) instead of one of the other 2 hotels in that area.

I recently won the Atherton for $39 for a relative for a one night stay 8/1. :) You may also want to check HOTWIRE as you could possibly identify the hotel prior to purchase. Good Luck.

I noticed that there is one person on here who goes to state college and his last few posts said that he bid around $40 in the 2* for South and was given upgrades by Priceline to 3*. That weren't the atherton.

I figured I would start around the $39 mark as well. Hampton Inn is nice but have mixed reviews about the room you get when you book through priceline.... Some reviews even said they have a "priceline" room... which is small oddly shaped and has one double bed in it. Not sure if this is at all true... I have never used priceline before and I am very nervous... As you can see :) .. I even considered one of the 1* in the north area.. Both of those seem okay , but they don't have pools... What do you normally start bids at for 1*, 2* and 3* in this area. I would assume that 1* would be a lot less. I don't know what to do

Used your link...

1st bid $35 2* South zone......2nd Bid $39 2, 2.5, and 3* North and South Zone ...

Won

Marriott's Fairfield Inn and Suites

2215 North Atherton Street

State College, Pennsylvania 16803

Your Offer Price Per Room, Per Night: $39.00

Subtotal: $156.00

Taxes & Fees: $23.48

Total Charges*: $179.48

I am excited as Marriott usually has very good properties

Has all the amenities I am looking for....

Your links really helped.. Thanks so much

I have never used priceline before and I am very nervous...
Which is why it's generally recommended that you stick with the higher star levels. While there may be hotels at the 1* level which suit your needs, there may also be some which do not, and with PRICELINE / HOTWIRE you don't get to choose which type you will get :)

I'm not sure i'm following your logic of starting at $39... given the other user was upgraded on $40 bids, are you bidding $39 in hopes of receiving an upgrade or is it to avoid the possibility of an upgrade?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give a quick update. Just got back from a fabulous stay at the Marriotts Fairfield Inn and Sweets in State College. Arrived there on Monday afternoon after my conference was over for the day. Staff was very nice and check in was very quick. Got a King bed room which was perfect, clean, spacious and comfortable. The bed was a temperpedic(sp?) and very comfortable. Facilities were nice, fitness room was convenient and pool and hot tub very nice (small but sufficient). Didn't eat breakfast there any morning, but the delicious smells filled the building from 6:30am and many people went to breakfast so it must be good. Great location close to many stores.

Cons: Tuesday when I came in from conference at 5pm, my room hadn't been cleaned yet and they were about 10 rooms from me.. I had to leave the room (I don't like being there when they are cleaning) and go to the store for 2 hrs to make sure they would be done when I got back.

But all in all my stay was great. This hotel should have a 3 star rating it was so nice.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]