Priceline Hotel: 4* Manchester (Airport) Marriott

purplelotus
By purplelotus,
in

I got this hotel on my first bid of $55 yesterday (7/25). Total cost was $202.92 for 3 nights. However, I wanted to stay in the city center and accidentally checked the airport box along with the city center so I am disappointed. We're going to Manchester to see the sights so this hotel will be very inconvenient. I did a little research on TripAdvisor and found out that there is no free shuttle to the airport and not much around this hotel unfortunately. The only redeeming feature is the price which is reasonable. Hotel reviews are fair to good. If anyone knows anything about this hotel and how to get to the center cheaply (we're willing to walk to bus stations a mile or so), please let me know in a reply. I plan to call the hotel and ask also. I realize this is my fault so I can't blame anyone. This happened one other time to me where I checked the wrong box. Priceline let me out of the deal for $25 plus I had to book another hotel for the same dates which I did. I don't feel like going through the hassle of doing that again. I'll just live with my mistake and commute to the center as cheaply as possible.

I did use the PRICELINE link.

I've stayed at this hotel before. And oddly enough, will be staying at it 9/12 again. Just miss you. I've a flight out the morning of 9/13, after a planned walk along Hadrian's Wall.

There is shuttle service to the airport at 3 GBP one-way (from their web site), and I think it was 5 GBP round-trip. I think it was every half hour.

From MAN there is very regular train service into Manchester. One of the airport shuttle stops is in front of the train station (right at the airport).

Their web site also mentions a bus station 1.4 km E (nicely under a mile), and shuttle service to it "...for a fee". That combo might be less expensive and quicker than the shuttle to the airport and train into town. If you will be going back and forth several times, maybe you could get some sort of bulk rate? I suspect the shuttle to the bus station is just part of the airport shuttle and does a tiny detour as needed. I remember the drivers as being quite chatty and accommodating when approached nicely.

From the hotel, maybe a mile walk will get you to a cute little shopping area - good fish and chips place (wide choice of the fish, including even salmon). I think there was a bakery there, and at least one other restaurant. The hotel gave us walking directions. There is also supposed to be a pretty good pub in the area, but we missed it somehow. After getting away from the hotel, it is a pretty walk through a nice residential area. Interesting houses and gardens.

The hotel itself is very nice. Really a deal at the price you got. Breakfast was not included last time, but it never hurts to ask.

Romelle

Thanks Romelle for the info. It was helpful and nice. I am glad you like the hotel so I feel better about that. Good to know we can walk to restaurants. I noticed the bus on Marriot's website too so I will call soon and ask about it. Once I finish my stay, I will post my impressions and the transportation options. Sorry we'll miss you. Marriott wanted over 100 pounds (I think 115 or something like that -- which would be about $190) so at $68 with fees, it looks like a good deal.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]