Priceline Hotel: Should I Stay at Newark Airport or Jersey City

southwickhull
By southwickhull,
in

I am coming to college search with my daughter with a crazy schedule of trying to visit 14 colleges in 14 days up and down the eastern seaboard. We fly into Newark Airport and without staying a night, drive to Boston, down to DC and then back to NYC. We will be renting a car at the Newark Airport and need to return it there. We will only be in NYC for two days before flying to Chicago. I've used the PRICELINE links and all your suggestions and it has worked wonderfully so far. Thank you so much.

Struggling with the NYC leg of the trip.

We will be driving into the NYC area late at night, need to return the rental car that night or first thing in the AM to the Newark Airport.

Be to Columbia for a tour at 10am the next morning and Barnard in the afternoon. Would like to catch a Broadway show that evening.

Our flight leaves for Chicago at 8:30 am on the third day.

I'm thinking it would it be better to stay at a hotel at the Newark Airport than Jersey City, do you concur?

If so, what's the best way to get from the PATH to an airport hotel late at night?

Should have included that info in the previous post...sorry.

August 9th & 10th are our dates in the New York City area. Fly to Chicago on Aug 11th first thing in the AM. Like to stay around $100/night; for the short amount of time we will be in the hotel, I think a 2.5 star or better would be fine. It's the logistics of getting the car back and getting to the Airport so early that concerns me.

Rates are actually somewhat high for your two nites above and the 'good' area of Jersey City where you want to be is likely going to be out of your price range, but i have two suggestions:

1) SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID... i think you can get a nice hotel in Jersey for the first nite slightly over your budget, which would be offset by staying the second nite at Newark Airport (and i would simply go there when you're done for the say on the 10th, so that you're basically just sleeping there and then heading to the airport in the am) Keep in mind that you'll pay for parking too in this area (figure ~$20-$30/day). While not cheap, this provides the best alternative to NYC.

2) look at the Secaucus-Meadowlands area. Parking is free, most hotels have easy access to the bus into Manhattan (if not you can always drive to the Park N Ride), it's a nicer area than Newark Airport, and the hotels are a bit better quality, imo. The one caveat is that you'll be commuting via bus, and Lincoln Tunnel traffic is always unpredictable, so you'll have to leave a 'cushion' is you have any appointments in the city.

Let u know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you want something unique, check this place out:

http://www.utsnyc.edu/Page.aspx?pid=520

The Landmark Guest Rooms

It's in the Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York

They rent guest rooms for about $135/night. It's right around the corner from Columbia and Barnard.

You would really get a feel for the Morningside Heights neighborhood by staying here.

No real reviews online, you would be the first one. :)

You have to call to reserve. I'll bet if they don't have a conference or something going on, and you told them your story, they would work with you.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]