Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Chicago North Shore (Deerfield) Embassy Suites

AaronJB
By AaronJB,
in

Last-minute/unexpected anniversary stay (as thought a car wouldn't be able to be borrowed), and was a tad skeptical anything would be accepted.

Prices for this area in many instances are actually rather interesting. While there are certainly exceptions/variations all the time due to higher traffic, hotels in this area appear to use fairly standard pricing, which may vary by season. Most properties in this area are much more expensive during the week (possibly in part due to the fact that the area sees a lot of business travel) and cheaper (often substantially so) during the weekend. The "common" weekend and weekday rates are normally the same at many properties.

However, on HOTWIRE, there are a number of listings that often come up with the same rate, whether more expensive weekday or less expensive weekend. Definitely variations in this regard, as well, but I do see a number of listings often appear with the same exact price on HOTWIRE, despite a more expensive regular rate - so while the regular rate may be quite expensive, there is a chance that the discounted rate may be significantly less. While I like this area as a downtown alternative (as I've noted often), if someone looked only at the regular rates during the week, I think most people would almost certainly look elsewhere. At PRICELINE or HOTWIRE rates, this area is a terrific alternative.

Bid 4* Deerfield to $57 and 4* North Shore to $50 (as wasn't interested in going too much higher for the possible Renaissance; not a bad hotel, just not what I felt like.)

Tried 3.5* Deerfield at $44 - got a counter offer to $54. Tried $47, got a counter offer to $57. Tried $49 and was accepted.

The "known" 3.5*'s in Deerfield are the ES and Marriott Suites Deerfield. If upgraded, the only known 4* is the Hyatt. All three possibilities are nice, although admittedly the breakfast/reception at the ES make it a particularly appealing possibility. In terms of the breakfast. going out to a decent breakfast in the area costs about $10 or so and add in the evening reception and $49 certainly starts to feel more along the lines of around $25.

Regular rate is a steep $179, but that is not uncommon for this area during the week. However, $130 off regular rate is an awfully steep discount of somewhere in the neighborhood of 75%.

Additionally, this is one of the handful of ES properties with a koi pond and waterfall, as well as a more tropical feel: "With nearly 5,000 living, breathing fauna and foliage enveloping the 7-story atrium, you can relax while reading a book on a park bench, alongside the waterfall, or listen to the rolling stream."

This is actually a pretty nice looking Embassy Suites property, and I'm looking forward to the stay. Photo Gallery at the ES website.

Used PRICELINE link.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and were able to utilize the advice you often give to others for your own stay.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Have a great stay and Happy Anniversary :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]