Help: OGG 7/29 - 8/3 (5 days) Standard, Is it better to bid for 7 days

sentinel23
By sentinel23,
in

Would appreciate any advice from the folks here. I've been trying to bid (through the PRICELINE link here, of course) on a 5 day rental in Maui, but keep getting denied. I'm hoping for a Standard or full size, and started bidding at $12 and gone up to $25. Looking over other folk's success, it seems that renting a full week offers better chance at a lower rate. I'm just not sure if this is an acceptable practice, and of course, whether it would be cost-effective as I only need the car for 5 days.

Also, does anyone happen to know how the taxes on rentals in Hawaii work? Is it a fixed percentage of the rental cost per day?

Thanks!

Usually once you hit 5 days you're at the weekly rate and will pay the same total whether you're renting for 5, 6 or 7 days... but the daily price looks higher the shorter the rental since you're dividing the total cost by fewer days.

There is a big jump in price after you get past the mid-size car level... do you need the larger vehicle or could you get by with something smaller like Economy or Compact?

What is the best rate you're able to find thru conventional booking channels?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I ended doing something similiar for a trip in San Fran. I only need the car for 4 days but ended up getting a good price difference at 6. After booking I called the rental car company and asked if I would get the same rate if I had to return the car early. They said the rate would stay the same and I wouldn't be charged for the extra days. Even if I got charged for the two extra days the trip was significantly cheaper.

Disclaimer: I have not actually taken the trip so I can't confirm this is true with a bill in my hand. :)

On a 'retail' reservation you typically can't book for a drop-off date other than your 'true' return or you could be subject to a different rate then previously booked for... on pre-paid reservations you can typically (some exceptions may apply) get away with returning the car early but not getting any refund/credit for the unused days (this can only beneficial when a 5-7 day rental may be cheaper than a 4 day rental, which can sometimes occur)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]