Priceline Hotel: 4* San Diego (Downtown-Harbor Island) Omni San Diego

MistyM
By MistyM,
in

I've never done Priceline before, but my husband and I are trying to plan a 3 night get-a-way before we have our 4th child (in 3 years! We NEED it!). We are on a pretty tight budget. From looking through the posts on this forum, it seems that people have gotten 4* hotels in the areas we are hoping for (downtown, or SD Costal) for $75-$90 on weekend nights. There was a 7/8 - 7/10 for $75 and a 7/8 - 7/11 for $74 as well as a 6/26-6/27 for $75. I've bid for the last 3 nights starting at $60 and going up to $85 in increments of $2-$3 with no luck. Should I keep trying in that price range? Is August (we are going Thur 8/5 - Sun 8/8) that much busier than June / July? We are really hoping to stay under $85. Should I try 3.5*? Is there a big difference between 3.5* and 4*? Thanks in advance for you help. I will be sure to use your links in the future (I didn't realize until I registered that I should be doing that, sorry!)

Welcome to BetterBidding, MistyM. With four kids in three years you and your husband definitely deserve a getaway.

(we are going Thur 8/5 - Sun 8/8)

I was going to check Hotwire to get some idea what prices are for your dates, and whether a 3.5* for $85 or less seems feasible, but Hotwire's temporarily down for maintainence.

Rates vary from day to day. There's no such thing as a "June rate" or an "August rate". The same hotel could be $109 on Monday and $450 on Tuesday, in June or in August, depending on how busy things are.

Since Hotwire's down now can you check back tomorrow and someone will respond in more detail then.

Please use these HOTWIRE and PRICELINE links for your purchases.

In those regions you mention....YES, there's a difference between 3 1/2 and 4 star hotels. If you really want to stay in a *nice* place for a get-away, 4-star is ideal. There are some nice 3.5 places, but they are more the Marriott Courtyard-type places. That might suit you ok, if you are traveling with 3 kids!

Checking the prices right now, the Westin Downtown (4*) for $135 is the cheapest 4-star. So you figure with that as a kind of starting point, you might be able to get that down a little bit lower via PRICELINE. But all the way to $85? That would be extremely ambitious. That might even prove tough for 3 1/2 stars, depending on the weekend.

August is a *very* busy month for tourism (and conventions). I've heard more than one person say that the Zoo and Sea World get the most tourism in August than all others.

Thank you for your help. I think I will stick with a 4* then. It will be just my husband and I and we are hoping for something *nice*. Where did you get that $135 price? It that a HOTWIRE price or retail? When you say I should be able to get a bit lower, how much is a bit? $100? Thanks again for all of your help.

Expedia has a "Buy 2 Nites Get 1 Free" sale at the Hilton Bayfront, which brings the cost for your dates down to $120/nite... not sure if this would be of interest or not, but at least can serve has a basis for a 'known' hotel to ensure that you don't overbid (if you go that route)

One thing to note is that PRICELINE's Downtown San Diego zone also includes Harbor Island, and the Sherton Marina is often won in this area... not necessarily a bad hotel, but not what some are looking for from a "Downtown" hotel (preferring the Gaslamp Quarter area). If this is an issue HOTWIRE was split out the Gaslamp Quarter zone if you'd prefer to try and target this area (vs. the Downtown/Marina areas)

Let us know your thoughts based upon the above and how you'd like to proceed... take the Expedia Buy2Get1 Free deal, search HOTWIRE, or bid on PRICELINE (and if the latter let us know your maximum bid and if you want to bid both the Downtown and Coastal zones)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or our Expedia link if you go that route.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your help. I think I will stick with a 4* then. It will be just my husband and I and we are hoping for something *nice*. Where did you get that $135 price? It that a HOTWIRE price or retail? When you say I should be able to get a bit lower, how much is a bit? $100? Thanks again for all of your help.

That $135 @ the Westin came up through Hotels.com via the Hotwire search this morning. That was the *cheapest* 4-star place listed in San Diego for your dates at Hotwire.

As already noted by others, HOTWIRE and places like Expedia can give you a 'baseline' of what actual hotels are going for over a period of days. Depending on the area, you can usually get that cost down a little bit by bumping over to PRICELINE's blind bidding. But getting $135 down to under $90 may prove wishful thinking. There's always a chance something could change last minute...but I wouldn't count on it.

Frankly, $120 for the Hilton Bayfront sounds like a *great* deal to me. If that doesn't work for you, then you are likely going to have to either come down in expectations for a nice hotel OR come up in what you're willing to spend.

Sorry... :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]