SC Charleston Charleston Harbor Resort Mt Pleasant-Isle of Palms

mericeb
By mericeb,
in

Used Hotwire to make reservation this weekend and unfortunately ended up at Harbor Resort for $182 per night plus daily resort fee. Below is my first review and the reason I was so dissatisfied. Hope this is helpful to others:

Folks, I have traveled to 20-25 hotels this year. I don't write reviews because I honestly just do not have the time, but I would feel that I wasn't serving my fellow man and woman if I didn't speak on this place. No way under no circumstance would I return to this place alone or with my family.

As soon as we arrived, the front desk offered to move us to an "upgraded" room for an additional $60 per night. We declined, but upon seeing our room understood the reason for the offer and immediately seconded guessed our selection of this place.

We entered to an overflowing toilet and a view of the delivery dock where the employees hung out leading us to keep the curtains closed. In the grand scheme, really not that big a deal, but unfortunately, when closing the curtains, we failed to notice the water stains that ran up about 3 inches from the floor. That became problematic the next night when a typical evening thunderstorm came through the area. Unbeknowst to us there was a leak around the window (supposedly a secure window that was not designed to open) that allowed water to enter the room and soak the carpet (and everything sitting on it) on one side of the room over the course of the night.

It's hard to believe this place did not know the room leaked. I would expect more from any Interstate exit motel.

There was very little for us to do when we discovered our wet belongings the next morning other than bring it to the front desk's attention as we checked out that morning. The response was "I'm sorry" and a continuation to finalize our bill. Upon asking if the place didn't think some consideration should be given on our final bill, I was offered a free continental breakfast or credit for our two $12 per day "resort" fees that were added on top of the room charge ( I'm not clear on this, but the "resort" fees must have covered the morning coffee stand that didn't have coffee or cream mid-morning either morning, the pool area that didn't have enough chairs or towels to accommodate the few people using it and was otherwise less than ideal, or the sandlot out back that they called a beach). Bowled over by the "offers," I again declined. Being on a tight schedule, we choose to leave instead of seeking anything additional.

Regardless, I am not confident there would have been a better or more mature response from this place. Our entire stay I did not encounter one single staff member (other than the housekeepers) that was older than early 20's. Age doesn't say everything, but there just didn't seem to be any experienced service-oreinted leadership or professionalism about the place.

• 1 year later...

I can add some color to this resort as well since I stayed there, with my family no less. I have to agree with most of the review. The rooms were super small, especially for a "resort" and were so outdated. The bathroom was so small that the door couldnt be opened all the way if someone was in the bathroom and there was, as a nice way to describe it, noticeably wear and tear throughout the room. When we checked in on Friday night, were became very nervous as to how the weekend was going to go. We asked for a place to go for breakfast in the area and the place offered to us by the front desk was closed that day. The front desk people never seemed to care at any point I saw them interacting with myself or other guests. We had a wonderful view of the garbage cans and although pictures show a beach, it is very misleading and not a beach to really play on because of the drop off to the marina and not a walk into the water type beach.

Where our visits differed was in the rest of the experience. The people who worked at the bar and restaurant and around the pool were great. The pool was just what we needed and the boys loved the shuttle to Sullivans Island. The best part was the childrens camp they had that Sunday morning. We took a chance at paying a few bucks extra to give the kids some activities (and ourselves a half day to relax) and they loved it. They pulled up crabs from the dock, made thier own t-shirts which we still have a year later and did a nature walk and various other kid friendly activities. The experience we had around the pool and with this childrens camp almost made up for the room debacle. Frankly, I was convinced we were getting a bid in Wild Dunes. I did not realize this resort (and I use the term loosely) actually had a Mt Pleasant address. If not for seeing thier faces after the camp, it would have been a total disappointment. I wouldnt pay more than $100 a night for this place. The bar is cool and hidden away enough that it would be the type of place I would go if we still lived close and didnt want to deal with crowds and tourists.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]