Priceline Hotel: Help for Midtown 3 people

pierson
By pierson,
in

We are first timers arriving morning Sat Apr 9, and leaving on Mon Apr 11, so we need a two night stay - Sat and Sun. I am a Mom traveling with a teenage son and daughter, so we really need either 2 beds or 1 bed and a pullout sofa. I would like to pay under $150, but can go higher. I am intrigued with reviews of the Murray Hill East suites. People say each spacious room has a pull out couch, and they have gotten this place on Priceline for under $100 sometimes. I am not bothered by slightly outdated furniture, however I can't stand bad bathrooms. Is this an okay place? Also, how would I make sure I get it on Priceline.

I am very afraid of bidding on either Priceline or Hotwire, and ending up with a very small one bed room that will not accomadate us very well. As far as stars, I am not aiming at luxury, however it can't be seedy, either. How would I try to get Murray Hill Suites on Priceline and not end up with something else? Also, I am open to any suggestions in midtown. In another post I see someone got the Belvedere and that looked very nice, but I see it is gone now. Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

It's NYC, so expect a small room and an even smaller bathroom!

You won't be able to use Priceline and guarantee a specific hotel nor a room with two beds. You can use HOTWIRE which now allows you to search for up to 4 people in a room, but all their current offerings are well over $150.

Do you have a current back-up reservation? (if so, where and how much?)

Would you consider staying in Jersey City (NJ... 8-15 minutes to NYC by train, at the doorstep of the hotel)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't really want to stay in Jersey since it is our first time there. I would be willing to pay more than $150 if I have to. What about the Murray Hill Suites in Midtown East? If read that it is an underrated 2 star on Priceline. What if I bid 2 stars for East Midtown - do you think that is Priceline's only 2 star property in East Midtown?

First, the Murray Hill Suites is not in the MTE zone, and there are likely other hotels at that star rating in the correct zone. The Murray Hill Suites though is likely the low acceptor in the area so you may choose to try it, but if you do get a different hotel, i fear you will be at a true 2* and be miserable (and no guarantee of you 2 beds).

I think you can probably get the Grand Hyatt with 2 beds thru HOTWIRE for about $200... don't know if that's within your budget or not.

You can also consider the Beekman Tower where you can get a 1BR suite for $189/nite (this room would have one bed in the Bedroom and a pullout sofa in the living room... don't know if/how that would work for you) and the REVIEWS are very good.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your advice, and you're right - Murray Hill is in MTS, not MTE. Whew, that would have been a doozy of a Priceline bidding mistake! I decided I could not risk getting a real 2* on Priceline instead of the Murray Hill, so I checked Travelocity and booked a Murray Hill Junior Suite for $149 at the government rate. The junior suite has a bedroom with a Queen bed and a living room with a pull out couch so that should work fine. Total square footage is 450 sq ft. I work at a state university so the government rate should apply. Also, it is fully refundable up til 24 hours in advance in case I find something better.

Thanks for your help!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]