Priceline Hotel: First Attempt at PL Bid

Deaner
By Deaner,
in

Hello,

I'm traveling to Vancouver 07/31-08/02 looking for 4* in the downtown/entertainment areas Preferably Downtown.

I'm going to start at around $85 (I'm starting with that since it seems to be a lower end of 4* bids, if it's too high or low please tell me :) , I'll try my luck but I have some time if it's denied to rebid.

Hopefully I land something, I just read someone nabbed the Sheraton Wall for $100 after they started at $95 in September. Hopefully I may end up the same, I'm comfortable with that, we'll see.

Cheers :)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Are you familiar with re-bidding? You have FIVE re-bid zones available when bidding 4* in the Vancouver area, and better to use your re-bid zones to create a bidding strategy as opposed to picking one number to start.

If you're not familiar with re-bidding see this thread: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your FIVE re-bid zones with the board. If you read this previous link and are confused just post back and we'll break it down further for you.

Once you have re-bidding understood, let us know your maximum bid and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Once you have re-bidding understood, let us know your maximum bid and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Thanks Thereuare,

I did read that thread prior to posting, the illustration certainly made it clear about the strategy for re-bidding and is much appreciated :)

As far as maximum bid goes, any less then regular price is good with me, I just checked Sheraton Wall in Vancouver and it's saying they have no rooms available for my dates (perhaps that will change) but Marriott Pinnacle was about $330 CAD/night on their website, I'm perfectly willing to drop to 3.5* if need be. But I want to stay in the downtown area, Burnaby and Surrey are a bit to far out of the way for me.

If you need a few more specifics on anything let me know!

Cheers

Given you have some time before your stay, and HOTWIRE has a 4* hotel at $135/nite for your dates (we can discuss this option after... this may or may not be 4* rated by PRICELINE) i'd start as follows:

At the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

From the alternate thread Priceline Re-Bidding Explained,

"The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a PRICELINE page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process. It is important to do this before EACH attempt at adding a zone that you really don't want, as new hotels can be added and the star ratings can change at any time. (NOTE: for most users PRICELINE has updated their interface making the above process easier... simply check a zone and note the highest star rating available within each zone, UNcheck that zone and checkmark the next zone, repeating the process)"

Following the bidding strategy outlined, I was locating the re-bid zones for Vancouver and as you said there are 5, I can only assume that simply by checking the box for the zone you want it automatically highlights (or greys out) the max star level in the area below the zone selection area and is no longer another page that you most click back and forth from as indicated in the above quote?

Either way it's working for me for multiple rebids by closing and re-opening the browser, I started at $80, downtown, rejected, I have continued at $5 increments up to $115, once I hit $135 I'll look into the HOTWIRE deal that you mentioned :)

I'll keep you posted on my success.

Cheers

If you post the amenities of the 4* HOTWIRE property offered we'll have a guess as to what it might be... although given your rejected PRICELINE bids, it may be something 3.5* rated by PRICELINE.

Let us know what you're currently offered and/or what you decide for this stay.

Hotwire 4* amenities for Downtown entertainment district area, Vancouver.

This hotel features the following amenities:

Boutique Hotel

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

High-speed Internet Access

That would appear to be it, I would agree that it's probably a 3-3.5* with PL. Though my most recent checks online for 4* hotels in Vancouver for dates 07/31-08/02 are showing fully booked and no rooms available. I may have to drop to 3.5* and begin rebidding from the bottom up again. Lucky I have time on my side, for the moment :)

Assuming this is the Georgian Court, i don't believe this property has ever been reported to the board thru PRICELINE bidding, so they may not participate in "name your own price", which could explain the HOTWIRE price and the PRICELINE rejection.

Assuming this is the hotel you're being offered, the reviews are pretty good and Expedia and Tripadvisor also rate this property 4 stars... so if availability is tight and many hotels are showing sold-out, this may be one you want to consider now rather than later.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the final report isn't great news since I couldn't find a hotel in my price range at the star level I wanted, a long weekend in downtown Vancouver proved to be quite difficult! No matter, I still got a place downtown for a good deal it just unfortunately wasn't through PRICELINE or HOTWIRE. Either way I have learned so much as far as bidding is concerned (and as this thread says it's only my first attempt) and has not deterred me from attempting bids again in the very near future.

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]