Priceline Hotel: Sep 20-23, 2010 in Broadway area--new and have questions

tignor
By tignor,
in

Hello darlings!

I've been lurking for a few days so I thought I'd join. I've been trying to bid on a hotel near Broadway theatres from Sept 20-23, no luck yet but I'm bidding low. My strategy--bidding on 3* hotels, up the bid once a day by $2, capping off at $190 and then starting over adding in 2.5* hotels. My bids of $125, 130, and 132 have all been rejected. I have the $10 bonus cash per night adding on to them too, thanks to this forum. (and I've been using the links from this site to Priceline for bidding). I have 3 months and we will take the train from Virginia, which I haven't booked yet. I figured if I couldn't get a 2.5* hotel for under $190 we just wouldn't go. This is an extra jaunt, you know?

I've been choosing TS, MTW and MTE but I'm thinking MTE may put us too far away. We want to be within walking distance to most of the theatres (for us? 10 blocks is ok, we know how compact NYC is), and have stayed at the Belevedere before (which is listed in MTW).

Also, would it be better to try for a 4* first, then lower to 3.5* and then to 3* on rebids? Or is bidding at 3* going to possibly get us a higher rated hotel? I've read 7 pages of the general questions forum and can't seem to decide which I should do.

Looking at other travel websites it seems that the prices for these 3 nights are higher than normal. It's the week after Fashion Week, and there may be something going on too, but does anyone know why regular rates seem to be in the 400s rather than the 300s or so for that week?

Any suggestions on if I need to change things up appreciated, and if I should continue to try to get a hotel in MTE. We do not want to have to take the subway or a cab to our hotel. Much thanks!

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

If this is Fashion Week, getting a hotel is definitely going to be more difficult due to folks coming in for the show. Regular rates are high and HOTWIRE rates are pretty high, as well - based on current rates, a 4* for $190 would unfortunately appear unlikely, and a 3.5* would likely be difficult, as well. My guess that $190 would be more likely for a 3* or 2.5*. Times Square and MTW are generally two of the more expensive zones in the city.

Would the MSG-Convention area work for you? There are a number of nice 3*'s in that zone. Chelsea may be another option, although outside of walking distance.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

We do not want to have to take the subway or a cab to our hotel.
Why not?? Do you intend to stay within a 10 block radius of your hotel this trip... you would certainly miss out on a lot of NYC if that were the case.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

More than likely--we are coming up on Monday afternoon and will attend shows Tuesday and 2 shows on Wednesday. We just came back from a 4 night in May. I'm kicking myself for spending $270 a night at the Belevedere, and I've used PRICELINE before but somehow I just kind of forgot because it's been a while!

The week before is Fashion Week so I don't know why the rates are so high, but I have the cap and just won't go over it. I'm going to expand out to MSG (great suggestion AaronJB!), ESB and CPS, as well as the other 3 I've been trying for. Using the New York Hotels list for PRICELINE I scoped out a few that were listed in those areas and lots say they are within walking distance to Times Square so I think that expanding my area will help.

I'll let you guys know what happens when it does! Thanks for the advice. This is a great forum. I'll of course use the support link on this website. Thanks again!

You can rebid if you add (but not change) areas and/or star rating.

Why can't you rebid with a higher price? You would think this would be enough of a change to let you rebid instead of waiting 24 hours.

Also, I'm looking for a hotel in NYC currently and after reading these boards, I don't want to go less than 3.5 * on a MTE room, but am willing to go to a 3* or even 2.5* if necessary in other areas. How do I remove MTE from the list when I rebid at a lower star rating? The areas chosen in the previous bid are 'unclickable' and grayed out.

Thanks!

I just bid in all zones for a 4*, dropped it to a 3.5* with a bidding price of $134 (with $10 bonus cash) and was rejected. I figured I'd add $2 a day up to $190, then start over again at $120 with 3* hotels, quitting 2 weeks before the date. It's not imperative that we go, it would be nice but if we don't get our price I have to stop somewhere. It's like gambling. I have a max bid. :)

I have seen on the forum suggestions for bidding on one zone, then adding one more, then one more, etc and keep going. Why is this better than bidding for all 6 zones at once if the zone doesn't really matter?

If you simply increase your bid every day, then you never give yourself a chance to win at a lower price...

Let's say you've been bidding for 3 weeks, and have been rejected from $120-->$165, and later that day a hotel releases inventory priced at $135... your next bid would be at $167, never giving yourself a chance to win at a lower price.

The other side of the coin is let's say a hotel is currently available for $175 (within your budget) but you're lowballing your bids at $130 and increasing by $2 every day. You don't get up to $175 for 2-3 weeks and by that time somebody else has already purchased the $175 room and that rate is no longer available (and everything else is higher). If you had used a bidding strategy to increase your bids, you would have received the room and been done with it, gettting the best price available at that time (or at least within a few dollars of the best price)... whereas in this example you're still being rejected at $175 and even higher (once you get that high)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

AH! ok...I get it. Here I was thinking I knew what I was doing!

Ok, I would love your help with a bidding strategy! My cap is $190 and the lowest * rating I'd go for is 3 (right now, I'll try for 2.5* in a month or two, I'd just like nicer if possible), but would like 3.5 or 4 if possible. My zones, by preference, would be MTW, TS, MTE, ESB, MSG, CPS.

You guys are fantastic, do you know that? Thanks so much!

You guys are fantastic, do you know that?
I keep trying to convince my wife but so far she's not buying it :) (seriously, thanks for the compliment :) )

If i interpret your post correct, you'd first like to try for a 4* up to your limit, then a 3.5* up to your limit, then a 3*... correct? Few comments first regarding the zones/star levels...

At the 4* level all the 'known' MTE properties should suit your needs just fine, but at the 3.5* level there are hotels which enter the mix which may be a bit far east for your liking... namely the Millennium UN. You should look at the location of this property and determine if you want to include this zone in your 3.5* and under bidding.

Likewise, at the 3.5* level in the CPS is the Hudson hotel which has notoriously small rooms... otherwise it's a decent hotel with generally good reviews, but you need to expect and be prepared for a very small room. For some the room is just a place to sleep and it's fine, for others they prefer to avoid this zone at this star level.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

:)

Thank you so much.

Yes, ok. Top bid $190. 4* in (by preference) MTW, TS, MTE, ESB, MSG, CPS, then (removing zones MTE and CTE) 3.5*, then 3* .

As I understand it, even if 3*s in MTE and CTE aren't terribly far away and/or don't have really small rooms I still run the risk of getting a higher rated hotel and could conceivably end up with one of those. I also understand there is a chance at being offered a new hotel not on our 'known' list. I'm cool with that. In fact, it's kind of exciting to see what I will get!

Again, I really, really appreciate it! I'll let you guys know what success I have. You have helped me so much. :)

At the 4* level you have SIX re-bid zones, at the 3.5* level you have FOUR re-bid zones, at the 3* level you have ONE re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

I don't think you have much of a chance at a 4* hotel but you can give it a try anyway if you'd like.

Select 4* MTW, TS, MTE, ESB...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* CPS...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW, TS, MTE, ESB and CPS...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTW and TS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* ESB and MSG...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* ESB and TS...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTW and MSG...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* ESB and TS and MTW and MSG...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190

Start with the above, if rejected we'll add a 3* strategy... or revise the 3.5* strategy to include MTE and/or CPS if you'd like. If you want to research the MTE and CPS zone hotels you can look into the location of the Millenium UN and the rooms at the Hudson Hotel to see if these would be acceptable for your needs

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Fail. :)

I did everything in the strategy to a T. No rooms for those dates in those zones 3.5* or more for under $200 (I am using the $10 bonus cash on top of all the bids). Mayor's daughter must be getting married or something.

Would you mind doing a strategy for me for 3*? After that, would you suggest raising my top price or dropping to 2.5? I didn't want to go over $200 but I could try up to 250 I think, as long as I don't tell my husband. Ha. "Honey, what do you think about going back to NYC if I can get a room really cheap?"

Again, thanks so much. :)

Actually, after looking at the 2.5* hotels that are on the known list, I think they meet our needs. So if you have time to do a strategy for me for 3* up to $190 as well as 2.5* too, and we'll see what that gets us.

After that, I think I'll just start over once every 24 hours with the 4*s down to 2.5 until 2 weeks before the dates. I don't think I want to go over $200 after all. If we don't go, we don't go.

Thanks again so much! This website is a dream!

At the 3* level you have ONE re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* ESB...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* TS...

Select 3* MTW...

Select 3* MSG...

Select 3* ESB and TS...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTW and MSG...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTW and TS...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* ESB and MSG...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* ESB and MTW...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* TS and MSG...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* ESB and MTW and TS...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* ESB and MTW and MSG...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* TS and MSG and ESB...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* TS and MSG and MTW...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* TS and MSG and ESB and MTW...

Bid $190

At the 2.5* level you have one re-bid zones as well, so you could repeat the above using 2.5* instread of 3*, but i don't recommend it. If the above is rejected i would hold off bidding 2.5* and we can discuss further.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Priceline doesn't like me.

Rejected. All of them. Guess its not in the stars for me to go to NYC. Must have some crazy convention or something going on those days. I find it strange that Priceline says the median price for a 3* is $322, yet my bid for $200 was rejected.

There is a 3* Midtown Central hotel on HOTWIRE for $236, so I wonder if I'm just really close and a few bucks off of winning a hotel from PRICELINE.

Any suggestions? :) Again, it's not imperative we go, and I really appreciate everything this board has done for me up to this point.

I find it strange that Priceline says the median price for a 3* is $322, yet my bid for $200 was rejected.
Take the hotel's perspective... if you had something you felt was worth $322/nite would you want to sell it for $125 less for what has historically been a busy time of year? (and hotels can often sell many of their rooms on their own at full price) Perhaps if the room was still 'empty' close to your arrival and hotel thought they were unlikely to fill it (or have enough other rooms to fill any last minute customers)... but for a busy time of year they have 3 months to try to fill it at full price, no need to offer it out at a deep discount.
There is a 3* Midtown Central hotel on HOTWIRE for $236, so I wonder if I'm just really close and a few bucks off of winning a hotel from PRICELINE.
What are the amenities associated with the HOTWIRE offering?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board for your bidding/purchases.

I guess I'm seeing other postings for 4* hotels in the same area for $140 at different dates and am super jealous. You are right, it's a busy time of year.

The HOTWIRE property has fitness, pool, internet and restaurant. Sounds like Holiday Inn Midtown 57th St, according to the list here, which is a 2.5* on PRICELINE, yes?

thereuare, would you mind giving me a strategy for 4*, 3.5* and 4* from $190-250, for MTW, TS, MTE, ESB, MSG, CPS, (zones MTE and CTE only in 4*)? You've helped me so much already and I appreciate it. I'll book the HOTWIRE hotel if it doesn't work, unless you think bidding at 2.5* would be a better idea. :) Thank you again so much.

The Holiday Inn 57th Street is 3* rated on PRICELINE and is also my best guess for the HOTWIRE property offered above.

If you want to bid up to $250 this far ahead of your stay...

Select 4* MTW, TS, MTE...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* CPS and ESB...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW, TS, MTE and CPS...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $215, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW, TS, MTE and ESB...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $215, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW, TS, MTE, ESB and CPS...

Bid $220, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $225, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $230, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $235, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $240, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $245, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $250, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTW and TS...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* ESB and MSG...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* ESB and TS...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTW and MSG...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTW and ESB...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $215, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $225, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* TS and MSG...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $215, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $225, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* ESB and TS and MTW and MSG...

Bid $230, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $235, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $240, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $245, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $250

You can start with the above... any questions feel free to ask.

Update:

Tried on Wednesday and this morning, just using the 4* and 3.5* strategy (and the PRICELINE link from this forum) up to $190 (plus the $30 bonus cash) and was rejected.

I've decided to try once or twice a week for this month, then when Aug. hits I'll try with the 3*s and raise my price once Sept. hits, stopping 2 weeks before Sept 20th. If nothing, we just won't go.

I'm also periodically checking HOTWIRE and Travelzoo. Travelzoo has some great deals but it's so early nothing in my time zone yet. I honestly think I'll get something in my range someday. It's also kind of fun trying. :)

Thanks, thereuare and everyone for your help and encouragement!

Tried with the 4* and 3.5* strategy yesterday morning, rejected again. I have plenty of time and it does seem like prices are dropping little by little. Anyone knows an ant can't move a rubber tree plant, but I've got high hopes!

Still perusing TravelZoo because I think some specials should be showing up soon, checking HOTWIRE too. :) It's the thrill of the chase!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]