Priceline Hotel: San Jose 08/06 - 08/10 Bidding Help

Maynardski
By Maynardski,
in

My husband and I coming to California for a family party/reunion. We are not very familiar with the area. The party is in Campbell and we are flying into San Jose. Can someone suggest how we should bid this area. We are staying 4 nights (08/06 - 08/0) and are hopeing to stay under $60 per night.

Our preference is to be not a long distance from the party. However, we'd like to be less than 20 miles from the San Jose airport and hopefully near the party but are open to be farther from the party. We'd like to tour around San Jose and possibly San Fran. Neither of us is familiar with San Jose or what there is to see and do.

Cupertino-Campbell zone will be closest zone to your party, and it's less than 20 miles from SJC Airport. There are a couple of nice 4* hotels in that zone---the Cypress and Moorpark---if you're looking for upscale.

The next nearest zone will be the San Jose zone, which includes downtown San Jose and the airport areas. Many or most hotels in downtown San Jose charge for parking. I think parking is free in Cupertino-Campbell zone (but you can check the hotel websites to be sure).

You can't guarantee an airport shuttle in San Jose with Priceline, as the San Jose zone is a combination of hotels with shuttle and hotels without. (Mostly without.)

If you'll let us know which zone(s) and quality level you want, and your bidding limit, someone can suggest a strategy.

If you plan on spending a day touring SF consider staying one night at a SF hotel, as it's an hour or more drive from San Jose to SF, each way, depending on traffic.

Thanks for the info. Hmm, not sure now about staying in San Fran one night. It is likely we would drive back, even if an hour+ one way. My husband is use to LA traffic and distance so an hour is not far.

Airport/downtown areas tend to be more industrial/business. Also, our chances of free parking are probably better away from the airport. However, I would not rule out the area if the price is good.

PREFERENCE:

Cupertino-Campbell zone

-- 2nd choice airport/downtown or a zone less than 20 miles to the airport (goal is no more than 20 minutes drive to the airport -- we have an early morning flight)

3* to 4*

maximum $60 a night

I agree you have a higher chance of pay parking in San Jose zone than in Campbell-Cupertino.

Do you want to try up to $60 for a 4* in Campbell-Cupertino first? Then if rejected try to $60 for 3.5*? Then $60 for 3*?

Or are you looking for the least expensive 3* or higher in Campbell-Cupertino?

i.e. If both were available would you prefer a 4* hotel for $60 or a 3* for $45?

We are looking for the least expensive. Our preference 3* for $45 over a 4* for $60.

Even though we can't guaranty free parking, we found a hotel in Campbell that offers free parking and free breakfast for $67 a night. This is a discount rate for staying 3+ nights. So, we kind of don't want to go higer than $60 in case we do need to pay for parking.

There's only ONE rebid zone for 3* in San Jose and that's Mountain View. Mountain View only goes to 2.5* so you can add it to 3* bids in other San Jose zones without risk of winning a hotel in Mountain View.

I suggest $45 for a 3* in Campbell-Cupertino. Then add Mountain View and bid $50.

If unsuccessful wait 24 hours and try the same again, at $55 and $60.

Please start your bids with this PRICELINE link. Good luck!

Bid History:

$40 3.5* in Campbell-Cupertino -- unsuccessful

$45 3* in Campbell-Cupertino -- unsuccessful

added Mountain View $50 -- unsuccessful

closed browser and tried again the next day

$55 3* in Campbell-Cupertino -- unsuccessful

added Mountain View $60 -- unsuccessful

After not getting rooms at $60 a night, we decided to book with Campbell Inn directly. They had rates for $68 per night, free parking, 24 hour airport shuttle and free breakfast. It seemed best to go with guaranteed free parking rather than increase the bid price and not know if we had to pay for parking.

Thanks for all the help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]