Priceline Hotel: HELP: 4* San Diego Gaslamp - Convention Center

GO_CSU_RAMS
By GO_CSU_RAMS,
in

I'm going to San Diego for a week to spend some time with my sibling who is returning from Afghanistan for military leave. I would like to stay in the downtown area during our one week stay. I've read where bids have been selected for this location anywhere from $75 to $115 for a 4* which is my preference.

I used the strategy on PRICELINE providing me multiple bids starting at $85 increasing up to $115 and exhausted all the possible regions to select outside of a 4*. I figured $115 is a good max price based on other winning bids but it didn't get accepted even I tried the 15 regions starting at $85. Is it because I am needing a weeks stay or is it due to the time of year (summer) and they have leverage to get higher bids?

Anyone with experience or input is greatly appreciated.

There is plenty of time before your trip, so no real rush. HOTWIRE has a 4* in the Gaslamp/Convention Center area for $89/nite with amenities of boutique, no smoking, fitness center, restaurant, and high speed internet. Could be Hotel Indigo...maybe some of the pros here can confirm. Good luck.

Longer bids (like 7 nights) are usually tougher to win, and sometimes more expensive than shorter ones (like 3 or 4 nights).

I'm not sure from your post if you and your sibling are sharing a room, and if so do you need a room with two beds? If so keep in mind Priceline only guarantees double occupancy, which could be a room with one bed.

If one bed is enough slruud's likely Indigo for $89 is a good price for a weeklong stay (and $26 less than you've bid on Priceline).

If you need two beds search Hotwire on "3 adults/0 children", even though there are only two of you. 3/0 guarantees two beds.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links for your purchases.

p.s. Good to see you back, slruud.

Longer bids (like 7 nights) are usually tougher to win, and sometimes more expensive than shorter ones (like 3 or 4 nights).

I'm not sure from your post if you and your sibling are sharing a room, and if so do you need a room with two beds? If so keep in mind Priceline only guarantees double occupancy, which could be a room with one bed.

If one bed is enough slruud's likely Indigo for $89 is a good price for a weeklong stay (and $26 less than you've bid on Priceline).

If you need two beds search Hotwire on "3 adults/0 children", even though there are only two of you. 3/0 guarantees two beds.

p.s. Good to see you back, slruud.

I have a small family of 4 and since we have an infant, we can get away with needing just a King. I will look into Hotwire as suggested but I will try this bidding process another day or two to see what happens.

Also, based on your input, should I try and expect a higher bid above $115?

Thanks Colfax.

The one bed you're guaranteed on Priceline isn't necessarily a king bed. It could be one queen or even a double. One bed that sleeps two adults is all that's guaranteed.

I'm not sure why you want to gamble on two beds on Priceline when there are options with two beds guaranteed on Hotwire, in the same price range you've been bidding on Priceline.

Hotwire has two beds at what looks like the Indigo for $129. (Search on "3 adults/0 children" to guarantee two beds). Indigo gets very good reviews (#13 of 250 San Diego hotels on TripAdvisor.) Icons are the same as posted by slruud.

Or for $109 Hotwire has a 3* in Downtown-Harbor Island that looks like Holiday Inn San Diego, agan with two beds guaranteed.

Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Laundry, Highspeed

If you want to gamble on bedding with Priceline you could also try bidding for a 3.5*. If you win the 3.5* Sheraton Suites you'd be getting a suite. (But no guarantee Sheraton's the hotel you'd win.)

Any thoughts?

I must've missed the Indigo's $89 option on Hotwire. I looked for it yesterday and didn't find it. I think Hotwire is going to be a better option though I thought Priceline provided us a better chance on getting a rock bottom deal based on my readings.

I will continue to try Priceline for at least week before I give in. I do believe the 7 day option is hurting our chances.

If I lower it to 5 days, do most hotels offer same rate if you decid to add a couple of days to the stay?

Prices change all the time and the $89 at Indigo is gone. Now on Hotwire I see one bed at Indigo for $114 or two beds for $125.

If you're willing to switch hotels once I think you might win this at lower prices than you've bid already by breaking your stay in two. There could be 4* hotels that are available for three or four nights of your stay, but not all seven.

If you don't want to split I'd just keep trying to $115 or so every few days now. Your trip is still six weeks away and in Priceline terms that's a long time. It's possible you'll succeed at $80/$90/$100 closer to your dates.

If you dont want to wait then either 1) bid higher than $115 now, 2) split your stay, or 3) try for 3.5*.

If I lower it to 5 days, do most hotels offer same rate if you decid to add a couple of days to the stay?

No. If the hotel had the same rate for the other two nights then your bid for all seven nights together would have been accepted. Either the other two nights will have a higher Priceline rate, or they won't be available on Priceline at all, at any rate.

Very nice suggestion SLRUUD, thank you. I've not heard of that website before. Out of curiosity, they have a 4.5 * available but do not show what the potential hotels would. Any idea?

Yes, we have factored in the parking and the current deals available, it's still a great deal compared to the current rack rates in my opinion.

Thanks Colfax, my doesn't want to split the stay or else I would've made the call already. She's the boss! HA!

Needing to find out if anyone has a good guess which hotel this might be:

Amenties:

Boutique Hotel

Property offers a distinctive, unique or eclectic atmosphere. Many boutique hotels are smaller, hip properties in an urban setting, or renovated hotels with historical flair.

Smoke Free Rooms

Guest rooms at this hotel are always smoke-free.

Fitness Center

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Restaurant(s) Property offers at least one restaurant on the premises; hours and days of operation may vary.

High-speed Internet Access Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

Amenties:

Boutique Hotel

Property offers a distinctive, unique or eclectic atmosphere. Many boutique hotels are smaller, hip properties in an urban setting, or renovated hotels with historical flair.

Smoke Free Rooms

Guest rooms at this hotel are always smoke-free.

Fitness Center

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Restaurant(s) Property offers at least one restaurant on the premises; hours and days of operation may vary.

High-speed Internet Access Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

Looks like the Hotel Indigo to me, based on the amenities!

Have you stayed at Hotel Indigo before?
Nope....but I go to a lot of Padres' games a couple blocks Southeast of there. So I've walked by there many times!!

It's a solid hotel in a good area. Lots of places close by that you could walk to; Market St. is a block away. You'll be paying for parking!!! :)

Indigo looks to be a great place for a good price on Hotwire but the reviews pretty much advise us this is not a place for young children. We have a 7 month and 3 year old.

I'm on day 8 of trying to bid for a 7 day stay for 4* in SD. Max bid so far is $115. I started the bidding at $75.

I've also tried to split the dates as previously suggested. I'm trying 8/4 (Wed) to 8/8 (Sun) 1 bid and 8/8 (Sun) to 8/11 (Wed) 2nd bid. Max bid $105 with no win.

I called and spoke with a rep from the Omni Hotel, she mentioned the Omni still had between 200-300 unfilled rooms during our requested stay. I would imagine most 4* places may be in the situation which has me wondering why the bids I've submitted haven't been taken.

Oh, I've been using this site to make bids on Priceline.

Thanks.

Thanks for the update, GO_CSU_RAMS.

Rates aren't especially high for your dates---with several 4* in the $140's on Expedia I think you're bidding too early then, not too low.

If you don't think you'd like Indigo's atmosphere you might find some of the other 4* too "partying" too, especially if you win a hotel in the Gaslamp....even if the hotel itself is quiet the Gaslamp is a partying and nightlife district in general.

Scanning Expedia for some "less party" hotels I see:

1) Sheraton Suites $127. Suites have one King and a pullout sofa. These are 3.5* on PRICELINE, if you want to try and undercut that rate via bidding.

2) U.S. Grant $160, one bed or two. Possibly over your budget, but I'll mention since U.S. Grant is a "classic" or "grand" hotel, if you want to stretch for something special like that.

Just a quick closing on this thread on our experience. I've tried for 3 weeks to get an accepted bid for a week long stay in Downtown SD in a 4* hotel in early part of August. I've had zero luck with bids up to $115. I chose not to go higher since Hotwire is offering rooms at $118. I will admit I was frustrated but not turned off by the rebidding process since I know it works just not in this case.

My brother ended up getting a beach front property near Oceanside. My family opted for a hotel stay in Carlsbad. We've elected to stay at the Inns of Americas Suites for $119 a night on Expedia. I called them before making the purchase and found out that the Hyatt is taking over the hotel and is remodeling the rooms and the hotel will be a 3 or 3 1/2* very soon. It's a suite with a king bed, small kitchen, free internet, free parking and free continental breakfast. This worked out better than we thought since a 4* would've charged us for the extras.

Our final night of stay will be in Downtown SD at the Omni. We are paying rack rate largely because we want that specific hotel since are attending the Padres game with small children and may need to exit and re-enter.

Overall, I know I have til August to continue bidding but I have a heavy month of traveling in July for work and needed to get this planning out of the way. Thanks to the several bloggers for their valued input, it was good advice and much appreciated.

Take care.

Thanks for 'closing' this thread.

Sorry PRICELINE didn't come thru for you for this stay, but glad to see you're not discouraged by the process and know that although it didn't work out this time, it may in the future.

Glad you found something which will work for your needs... enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the update, GO_CSU_RAMS. Glad it's settled.

Sometimes PRICELINE requires a lot of patience and not everyone's situation allows waiting til the last minute to make plans.

Maybe you're just done with PRICELINE and with bidding for now, but since you've shifted to North County area I'll mention you might win a 3* in PRICELINE North County zone for less than Inns of America--maybe 70's-80's? There are two Holiday Inns in the zone, with (I think) Kids Eat Free. Let us know if you're interested. Otherwise, have a great trip!

I'm not downing Inns of America. It's a good location, imo, and with all the freebies also a good choice.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]