Priceline Hotel: 3* - 3.5* Confusion PHX Sky Harbor

trying2savecash
By trying2savecash,
in

I did a search on HOTWIRE and it is showing a 3-star for $46 (with: shuttle, gym, pool, internet) and a 3.5-star for $48 (with: shuttle, gym, pool, internet, restaurant, business center, laundry, golf). I can't figure out what the 3-star is - thought it might be the Doubletree Guest Suites but the amenities are not right. And there is conflicting info if the Doubletree is a 3-star or 3.5-star. I believe the 3.5-star to be the Crowne Plaza, but it could it just as easily be the Doubletree as they are right next to each other and both show Golf (according to Travelocity). I guess I would not really care except the Crowne gets very average traveler ratings on Travelocity and the Doubletree gets nearly all 5-star ratings form over 20 people - so I don't want the Crowne.

Will purchase thru links here if I can get a definite answer :)

Hi, Crowne Plaza is a 3.5 star resort. I've stayed there twice this year. Since AZ is arresting all brown looking people, the hotels are hurting for business this summer. You should really bid for 4 star as you will be paying the same price for something MUCH nicer now.

The Crowne Plaza has an indoor pool, but the smell of chlorine is pretty bad throughout. You will hear kids splashing around the pool even at the top floor. The internet access is free but it's really really SLOW at all times of the day. I did a couple of internet tests and I was getting 56K modem speeds.

Now if you have tons of kids, then it might not be so bad. Also the largest Phoenix mall is right next door (Metrocenter)

sparky9292,

I think you're talking about a different Crowne Plaza than the OP. He/she was asking about the Crowne Plaza in PHX Sky Harbor zone and it sounds like you're talking about the CP in MetroCenter zone.

Ahhh that's right I forget there's two of them in Phoenix.

So here is the info I searched with: July 16-17, near address (2121 North 83rd Avenue, Phoenix, AZ)

It finds four hotels that are listed as near Sky Harbor (you have to click on see more areas and it will pop up the Sky Harbor option check box.

Then you will see...

3.5 star - $44 - shuttle, fitness, pool, restaurant, biz center, laundry, internet, golf - this is either the Crowne or Doubletree - the Doubletree gets rocking rating on Travelocity < the Crowne gets average or lower rating - I don't want the Crowne

3 star - $52 - shuttle, fitness, pool, internet - can't figure what this is

2.5 star - $67 - shuttle, fitness, pool, restaurant, biz center, laundry, internet, golf - can't figure what this is

Open to suggestions. I could stay closer to the address listed (which is Cricket Pavilion) as these places are 12+ miles out, but right by the freeway I will be traveling on.

• 2 months later...

You are absolutely right about the chlorine smell and kiddie noise! I've lived in Phoenix a few years and actually stayed at the Crowne Metrocenter on house hunting trips. During our home/neighborhood searches I ran across some local crime stats showing that area as a problem. People I've met who've lived here many years refer to the Metrocenter Mall as "The Ghetto Mall" apparently due to the crime in the area. This hotel is right on IH-17, the only north south freeway heading out of Phoenix. I'm sure the hotel has a security presence but some people just don't think about being crime victims when they travel. It only takes one episode to make you mindful...

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]