England London Hilton Metropole

kayess
By kayess,
in

I stayed in this hotel one night this week while in London for a conference. It's on the Edgware Road, across the road from the Bakerloo Line tube and just around the corner from the District / Circle Line tube station. So pretty good connections. There's a decent looking Marks & Spencer over the road too and while the surrounding area isn't elegant or touristy it felt fairly safe as there were lots of people around and there are plenty of restaurants and supermarkets nearby.

The ground floor / lobby is fairly open plan with a bar and a cafe area (Cafe Cino) serving coffee and snacks all day and breakfast in the mornings. There were signs to a couple of restaurants but I didn't eat there. The place was buzzing with business people.

Check-in was straightforward - only a couple of minutes queuing and very friendly service. I was allocated Room 201, on the 2nd floor in the Tower. On the downside it was compact with twin beds and a view of concrete. On the up side it was obviously recently refurbished - everything was immaculate and the bathroom sparkling new. The beds were comfortable, there were tea & coffee making facilities and complimentary biscuits and a minibar (which I didn't touch).

So, excellent value and comfortable for a business overnight in London.

• 3 months later...

Stayed there for one night, 5/18. Even though checking in was not before 4pm for PL guests, I went in around 1pm and got a room without any problem. No mention of PL was made, I asked for a renovated room but was told the hotel was full. The desk agent gave us a queen bed and I casually made a comment that I was travelling with my brother, so she then asked if I would prefer a room on a lower floor but with twin bed. Agreed to that and got a corner room on the 4th floor, and I really liked the view. The bathroom was kind of small, and the toiletries were in a test tube holder, looked very cute. Ample towels, shower stall was very very small. Ample lightning in the room, complimentary tea and coffee with cookies. Bed was comfortable. Parking was 30 pounds for 24 hrs, however there is a public car park about 600 yards away which is about 16 pounds. Edgeware station 2 mins walk, an adequate Marks and Spencer across the street. Concierge polite and helpful, valet parking means waiting about 10 mins for them to retrieve the car. Over all, a nice hotel, a typical business hotel, no complaints, think I did pretty well paying $82 for one night.

D.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

May 4-8, 2007 $80/night

We just got home and couldn't have been more satisfied!

My husband emailed ahead letting the hotel know that we would be arriving around noon and that we were celebrating our anniversary. They responded with a kind note and an upgrade! We were able to check in immediately upon arrival, around 11:00 am. We ended up in a room in the West Tower on the 12th Floor. It was a typical business class room with a great view and renovated bath. The next day when we returned to our room in the evening there was a small tray of chocolates and a note from the management wishing us Happy Anniversary! All this for $80/night!

We checked out some of the prices at the restaurant/bars and found them to be way overpriced. The cost to hook up to the Internet for 24 hours was 16 pounds (32 dollars)! The average guests appeared to be on business trips and I am sure their expense accounts were covering all of these charges. We chose not to buy anything extra from the hotel and instead ate at restaurants outside of the hotel, or brought snacks/sandwiches/wine from Marks and Spencers up to our room. There is a 'Costa Coffee' right outside the door that offers free wifi access.

Check out was extremely easy. We just got a note under our door with a balance due of $0.00. (No mention of Priceline) We left the suitcases at the bag check in the morning of our last day and were able to enjoy one more full day in London without dragging them around.

Fabulous - Highly Recommended!!

• 1 year later...

Stayed with my daughter in the Hilton Metropole in Edgware area in London and loved it. Obviously, the main reason to pick it is the price, we got a great deal on Hotwire - about $130. But the room was nicer than I expected, with an ok view and a nice bathroom. The staff was great. It is not a touristy area but with 3 tube lines within 2 blocks away, a late night pharmacy across the street, along with a Marks and Spence, Paddington Station 5 blocks and the 15 bus next door - it was incredibly incredibly convenient. The 15 bus is a doubledecker and goes to most tourist areas. The nabe is very safe and has reasonable grocery stores and breakfast places - don't eat at the Hilton. We ate breakfast at some of the Arabic places - really fresh. Also, had fantastic Persian at Patogh - which was only 4 blocks away and is considered one of the best of the cheap Middle Eastern restaurants. My daughter really enjoyed the pool and the steam room - I thought it was a bit small.

I would recommend it as a pleasant convenient bargain stay.

• 7 months later...

I stayed at this hotel for 9 nights in May 2009 while in London on holiday and was disappointed with the room and the level of service provided. I am a Hilton Gold VIP member and was "upgraded" to a room with the view of the pool---little did I know that the pool is an indoor swimming pool surrounded by the hotel tower! My room overlooked the plexiglass roof that covered the pool---I had no view, could not even see the sky! I should have asked for a different room, but was tired and preoccupied with the fact that British Airways had lost by luggage.

The room itself was OK, a king bed, decent sized room, clean bathroom, however some of the furnishings were starting to show their age. The Housekeeping staff did a great job and probably the hardest working people on the property. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from Paddington Station and about a 20 minute walk to Oxford Street (via Edgeware Road).

The hotel is a business hotel with lots of conference space, so there is a lot of activity in the lobby, however they seem to have plenty of lobby staff, as I never had to wait more than a few minutes if I needed to speak with somebody. I had access to the Executive Lounge where they serve a light breakfast in the morning and appetizers and drinks in the evening; the lounge also provides newspapers and has 2 computers with free email access. My biggest complaint about this property is the attitude of the staff who manage the Executive Lounge----if you're not dressed in a coat and tie, they are quick to make you feel unwelcome. I personally experienced this and witnessed several others also get the "cold shoulder"---I will be contacting Hilton Hotels Corporate about this problem.

During this trip, I stayed at a Holiday Inn, a Sheraton, a Marriott, this Hilton property, and a Westin property and the Hilton London Metropole was the only disappointment. I would rate the hotel as a 3.5 star property, not a 4 star property; if they could improve the attitude and level of customer service, then 4 stars may be appropriate.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]